Club Fitting Experiences/Questions (Shafts, Clubs)

It is great that you have been able to test them all out in the same head on the monitor.

It is great that you have been able to test them all out in the same head on the monitor.

I did the same thing last year too. It's the best you can do sometimes man. Keep the head the constant and let the shafts reveal themselves. This place has a full Mizuno and W/S fitting cart. I thought it would be best to test the shafts in the FG Tour head this time around. Those irons feel pretty awesome.

This is undoubtedly a dumb question, but I've always wondered - How do they arrange for you to put different shafts in heads like that? Do they just screw in?

This is undoubtedly a dumb question, but I've always wondered - How do they arrange for you to put different shafts in heads like that? Do they just screw in?

Yes sir. It's kind of cool. Any golf shop with a decent fitting cart can hook you up like that. It's really nice b/c it's amazing to see how different each shaft is for a fella. I get good numbers out of the Dynamic Gold line but i just hate them, lol

THe Mizuno cart he has has the JPX 800 and MP59s in left hand heads and his W/S cart has the FG Tours in a left handed head. He has tons of shafts too. From standard length to 1'' longer to 1'' shorter. It's quite nice. I only tested about 4 different shafts though. I don't want XP's or graphite iron shafts.

That's pretty awesome. I really hope the timing works out for me to get to GolfTec to do that. I'm with you on the XP's. I have bad history with them and just couldn't put them in a club even if I was told they were my best fit.

That's pretty awesome. I really hope the timing works out for me to get to GolfTec to do that. I'm with you on the XP's. I have bad history with them and just couldn't put them in a club even if I was told they were my best fit.

Sometimes having something you just love is better for your psyche buddy. I feel that way about irons sometimes. We've talked about this.

I need to get back on the Shaft optimizer soon, I think I may be wanting to reshaft my irons at some point.

For what it's worth, here are the parameters that the Mizuno Shaft Optimizer measures:
Club Head Speed: How fast the club head and shaft are moving during your swing.
Tempo: How quickly you transition from your backswing to your downswing.
Shaft Toe Down: Measures how far the shaft bends in a downward direction during your downswing.
Shaft Kick Angle: Measures how far the shaft bends forward during your downswing.
Release Factor: How and when the club head and shaft are released during the downswing.

I want something lighter in weight and something that is lower launching so I'm probably going to go with Nippon's. I tested slews or shafts too. Put them all in the Wilson Staff FG Tour 6iron head and got some numbers from some shafts. I tested the PX 6.0, KBS Tour in Stiff and the Nippon NS Pro 950. The Nippon's offered the lowest launch angle at 22.8* and the lowest shot height at 40'. The PX 6.0 was also pretty good, and it's pretty clear that the KBS' might offer a bit too much spin for me, especially if I don't go to the xstiff.

TC any chance you would go with the C-Tapers, or is that not an option? I know they don''t hit the lighter weight category, but do hit the lower launch. Just curious.

TC any chance you would go with the C-Tapers, or is that not an option? I know they don''t hit the lighter weight category, but do hit the lower launch. Just curious.

Just to piggyback on Dr. Teeth's comment, C-Tapers are now a custom option with Cleveland: http://kbsshafts.com/blog/?p=50

So I am going to be going through a full bag fitting (if you're interested in my setup it's in my sig) in the next weeks....what is it exactly that I should be expecting and/or what do they normally do? Can they change my driver/hybrids shafts if necessary?

Thanks guys,
BDG

Don't expect anything bulldog, just go in with an open mind and hit whatever he hands you. Don't be afraid to ask questions about the clubs your hitting or the process itself. It really is a whole lot of fun. If you find a new shaft that works well for you, but you think your current head will work as what they are recommending, I am sure they will order the shaft for you.

Make sure you take your current clubs so they can have you hit those to start. Where are you doing the fitting?

Stopped at golf galaxy while out in rochester today. Was able to hit a few different iron shafts. Numbers were fairly similar between the ones that I hit but I was really impressed with the PX 5.5 graphite. They felt lighter than the steel and my ball flight was slightly higher(according to the numbers on the sim). Also the dispersion seemed pretty tight. Strong possibility that they will be in my J40 DPCs come Morgan cup time.

Stopped at golf galaxy while out in rochester today. Was able to hit a few different iron shafts. Numbers were fairly similar between the ones that I hit but I was really impressed with the PX 5.5 graphite. They felt lighter than the steel and my ball flight was slightly higher(according to the numbers on the sim). Also the dispersion seemed pretty tight. Strong possibility that they will be in my J40 DPCs come Morgan cup time.

Great to hear ddec. With all the new shafts coming out it is back to the drawing board for me although the C-Tapers are at the top of my list right now for iron shafts.

Maybe. I might go with them in a stiff flex. I wish they felt as good as the Tours or the Nippons to be honest.

Sent from my forged iPad

Got on the shaft optimizer today with the following results:
  • Club Head Speed: 86 mph
  • Tempo: 5
  • Shaft Toe Down: 4
  • Shaft Kick Angle: 5
  • Release Factor: 7
Recommended Steel shafts:

1) DG XP S300 117g High
2) Project X 5.5 115g Mid-Low
3) KBS Tour 120g Mid

Recommended Graphite shafts:

1) Project X 5.5 93g Mid

I am leaning towards the Project X as I have the KBS currently and the ball flight is a little high for me. The graphite shafts are interesting and I would like to find a place to hit some. C-tapers are also on the radar and they are not in the shaft optimizer software.

Those were pretty much my numbers but the clubhead speed at 87 and tempo at 3, release at 8. It's really cool to see how much some of these factors can impact the optimized shaft (numbers wise).

I did the optimizer again recently and got:

CHS: 92 mph
Tempo: 6
Shaft Toe Down: 5
Shaft Kick Angle: 9
Release Factor: 5

I have no idea what half of that stuff means but again, it recommended:

KBS Tour in Xstiff (which i won't be doing)
PX 6.5 (which I won't be doing)
DG X100 (which I won't be doing)

Interesting.

I want something lighter in weight and something that is lower launching so I'm probably going to go with Nippon's. I tested slews or shafts too. Put them all in the Wilson Staff FG Tour 6iron head and got some numbers from some shafts. I tested the PX 6.0, KBS Tour in Stiff and the Nippon NS Pro 950. The Nippon's offered the lowest launch angle at 22.8* and the lowest shot height at 40'. The PX 6.0 was also pretty good, and it's pretty clear that the KBS' might offer a bit too much spin for me, especially if I don't go to the xstiff.

That's very interesting TC. I think a 5 for release is optimal from what I remember. Is it the larger the number, the earlier its released?

I have no clue dude. Those numbers confuse me.

I just like it gives a good starting point haha. I'm a regular flex'er now!

Well, I finally got on a lie board tonight. Only hit a couple balls since I was in a lesson and he says it could change, but confirmed that I need some more flatness in my irons. Was nice to see my thoughts validated I guess. Also explains why I'm all over the heel in the VR S irons (they are 1.5° more upright than my irons). I knew it was important, but just never really realized how much I guess.

Well, I finally got on a lie board tonight. Only hit a couple balls since I was in a lesson and he says it could change, but confirmed that I need some more flatness in my irons. Was nice to see my thoughts validated I guess. Also explains why I'm all over the heel in the VR S irons (they are 1.5° more upright than my irons). I knew it was important, but just never really realized how much I guess.

Thats huge Hawk. IIRC from a THP radio show, 1* could cost someone 10 yards!

Thats huge Hawk. IIRC from a THP radio show, 1* could cost someone 10 yards!

That would make sense with what I typically have been seeing on the course. I'm going to wait another month or so before I get on the board again in case anything changes, but I get it now and will definitely have the irons/wedges I go with set correctly for me.

Yeah, those player iron's (like your V2's) are typically flatter in the stock lie. Man, it's nice when you can even those divots out in depth and start hitting some straighter ball flights.

That would make sense with what I typically have been seeing on the course. I'm going to wait another month or so before I get on the board again in case anything changes, but I get it now and will definitely have the irons/wedges I go with set correctly for me.

Hawk, how tall are you?

Back