TGC presents the Bruce Edwards Story

Smallville

#ICanHitADraw
Reaction score
Handicap
In Flux
This is a press release. I've actually had this set up to record on the DVR since Tuesday and I meant to mention it here, but I hadn't done it yet.

Golf Channel's "Caddy for Life: The Bruce Edwards Story" Goes Beyond The Game
Documentary provides platform to raise ALS awareness

ORLANDO, Fla. (June 9, 2010) - The June 14 premiere of the Golf Channel documentary, Caddy for Life: The Bruce Edwards Story, not only will recall the inspirational life of one of golf's pioneers, but also will shed light on the disease that tragically took his life and how his family and closest friends continue to fight for a cure.

Based on The New York Times best-selling book by John Feinstein, Caddy for Life is an amazing and emotional remembrance of the extraordinary relationship between one of history's greatest golfers, Tom Watson, and his longtime friend and caddy, Bruce Edwards. It also recounts Edwards' battle with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS), commonly known as Lou Gehrig's disease, until his untimely and tragic death in 2004.

Watson and Feinstein were inspired to tell their stories to remember a great man, but they knew that participating in the documentary also would provide a great platform to raise awareness for a disease that afflicts one in 100,000 people every year - and one that has no cure.

"This gives me the bully pulpit to speak about ALS," said Watson when interviewed about the documentary. "It took his (Edwards') life, and still is taking people's lives. We need to continue this battle and make sure we're doing everything we can to slow this deadly disease down."

Says Feinstein, "A lot of people aren't aware of the story and we can educate them about ALS. If we are able to raise awareness and funds for research, then the documentary has done a major thing."

As part of the Caddy for Life documentary project, Golf Channel has donated $25,000 to The Robert Packard Center for ALS Research at Johns Hopkins. The Packard Center is the world's leader in aggressive, collaborative ALS research. The Bruce Edwards Foundation donates 100 percent of its proceeds to the Packard Center, aiming to provide more tomorrows to today's ALS patients.

Caddy For Life: The Bruce Edwards Story premieres June 14 at 9 p.m. ET on Golf Channel.

This comes on tonight at 8:00 Central time on TGC.

Caddy for Life

Caddy for Life

i am watching this show on the Golf Channel and i wont lie i knew who Bruce Edwards was and i know (kinda) his story but even in just catching the last thirty or so minutes of this show i can tell that he was a loved and respected man. It's easy to see that everyone who ever met the man loved him. From Bones (Phil's Caddy) to Tom Watson who was so obviously so close to the great man. I think it is a great show and a great respect to Bruce Edwards. Any other opinions?

Last edited by a moderator:
Man, the last bit of this was tough to watch...

It was a really good show though. I particularly liked the early part talking about how caddy's used to work and live. That part was pretty interesting. Seems like about the time Bruce was coming along, most all Pro's didn't have their own caddys. Then Caddy's started copying Jack and his yardage books to get better gigs. Interesting stuff!

hey toaost I didnt catch it yet but I think theres another thread were their talking about it as well

Man, the last bit of this was tough to watch...

It was a really good show though. I particularly liked the early part talking about how caddy's used to work and live. That part was pretty interesting. Seems like about the time Bruce was coming along, most all Pro's didn't have their own caddys. Then Caddy's started copying Jack and his yardage books to get better gigs. Interesting stuff!

+2. Hard to watch. Like Tom said numerous times in the show, he was a great guy. That is a horrible disease for sure.

Just watched it myself, wow, as was said the last part was really tough to watch. Really great guy no doubt about it, shame he had to go out that way. Its an even bigger shame that he and his wife missed so many years together. Really brings things into perspective.

Back