LPGA State Farm Classic

Esox

Reaction score
Handicap
Beatriz Recari is cute. Juli still has a little game.

Kevin

Course playing 6700 this week. Could be interesting for the weekend run as it has fairly thick rough they have been saying.

Course playing 6700 this week. Could be interesting for the weekend run as it has fairly thick rough they have been saying.

Lots of birdies today.

Kevin

Lots of birdies today.

Kevin

Yeah there were. The rough did not look 3 inches to me, but the girls were playing great.

The course seems wide open, so they need the rough up to make it more difficult.

Azahara Munoz is also cute. Spain has cute lady golfers.

Jiya Shin had to have an appendectomy. She's saying she'll be back for the Wegman's in two weeks. Back in my day when you had an appendectomy, you got a big scar. Now apparently you can play golf in two weeks. LOL. They spoke to Karen Stupples who had hers removed last year, and she said it took her six weeks to feel right. Miyazato and Pettersen are not that far back for #1. I was surprised to see Michelle Wie is seventh in the world. She's doing okay.

Kevin

Munoz had her clubs go missing I believe and had to have a new set made for her before the round.

As for the rough, I just dont see it that tall. Girls were missing fairways but nothing was happening trouble wise. I mean 3 inches is pretty high. Not ridiculous, but pretty high. It will be interesting to see if they continue to go low.

Munoz had her clubs go missing I believe and had to have a new set made for her before the round.

As for the rough, I just dont see it that tall. Girls were missing fairways but nothing was happening trouble wise. I mean 3 inches is pretty high. Not ridiculous, but pretty high. It will be interesting to see if they continue to go low.

Recari had a shot on the par five and the rough didn't seem to be at her shoe tops. You'd think at 3 inches you wouldn't even see her tiny Spanish feet. She said what she misses most from Spain is the ham. I knew I liked her right away.

Kevin

Recari had a shot on the par five and the rough didn't seem to be at her shoe tops. You'd think at 3 inches you wouldn't even see her tiny Spanish feet. She said what she misses most from Spain is the ham. I knew I liked her right away.

Kevin

Yeah, I have a feeling that 3 inches might have been the goal, but it is not there. I also did not think the greens were rolling at 11 on the stimp like they said, but its hard to tell on tv. They seemed slower than that.

These girls can play though, regardless. I just wish that they would set up these courses to really challenge them with more distance and more penalizing when they miss fairways. That way the cream would truly rise to the top and people would start getting more familiar with the names as greatness would find a way to be there.

What would you consider long for these girls? Do they usually play at 6,400 to 6,500? It seems some of the Asian girls are not that long or am I missing something? They are unbelievably accurate, though.

Kevin

What would you consider long for these girls? Do they usually play at 6,400 to 6,500? It seems some of the Asian girls are not that long or am I missing something? They are unbelievably accurate, though.

Kevin

I dont have the stats in front me, but it seems most are around 6300-6400 this season and last. I would like to get them up to about 6800 with more trouble for missing off the tee. Right now it is they all hit the same shot off the tee, the same wedge for the 2nd shot and then putt.

I dont have the stats in front me, but it seems most are around 6300-6400 this season and last. I would like to get them up to about 6800 with more trouble for missing off the tee. Right now it is they all hit the same shot off the tee, the same wedge for the 2nd shot and then putt.

Wouldn't 6,800 take a lot of the short hitters out of play? I could see longer than 6,400, but that might be a bit severe. Longer rough, and definitely harder and faster greens could definitely be in order. I don't always watch, but the greens on the LPGA seem pretty forgiving.

Nordqvist is like a giant next to Munoz.

Kevin

I can't speak to many of the courses, but the ones I've seen in person get flattened out on television. Greens, especially. At the U.S. Women's Open last year, some of the greens had troughs running down the middle but looked perfectly even on the screen.

Wouldn't 6,800 take a lot of the short hitters out of play? I could see longer than 6,400, but that might be a bit severe. Longer rough, and definitely harder and faster greens could definitely be in order. I don't always watch, but the greens on the LPGA seem pretty forgiving.

Nordqvist is like a giant next to Munoz.

Kevin

It might, but couldnt the same thing be said about the PGA? Brian Gay, Zach Johnson, etc find a way to compete and win.

now that some ridiculous cold/bug has officially settled in at the calloway household, i couldn't sleep last night. i stayed up late watching the coverage of this tournament. just read through all the posts and have to say:

yep, munoz and ricari are both extremely cute
there were tons of birdies!
the rough didn't look that penal AT ALL
juli inkster is great to watch. talk about making it look easy.
don't know why they might mic up someone who speaks with an accent, that was a bit strange.

now that some ridiculous cold/bug has officially settled in at the calloway household, i couldn't sleep last night. i stayed up late watching the coverage of this tournament. just read through all the posts and have to say:

yep, munoz and ricari are both extremely cute
there were tons of birdies!
the rough didn't look that penal AT ALL
juli inkster is great to watch. talk about making it look easy.
don't know why they might mic up someone who speaks with an accent, that was a bit strange.

My thoughts to a T. Just not sure where they got the idea that the rough was 3 inches and deep. And that the greens were running at 11.

you can't have 40 odd players under par, the leaders at 7 & 8 under, after 1 round and talk about how tough the course setup is.

i will say this, i think that a little added distance would seriously cater to a select few of the girls on tour but JB makes a great point, guys like zack johnson, justin leonard, david toms have all figured out how to get it done on the pga tour.

you can't have 40 odd players under par, the leaders at 7 & 8 under, after 1 round and talk about how tough the course setup is.

i will say this, i think that a little added distance would seriously cater to a select few of the girls on tour but JB makes a great point, guys like zack johnson, justin leonard, david toms have all figured out how to get it done on the pga tour.

They would still have to find a away to hit it straight if they added trouble. These girls are so good, I just hate seeing the driver wedge on every single hole played by every single player regardless of where their tee shot goes. If distance was the most important thing, the guys you mentioned and a dozen others would not have ever one, let alone a few majors.

They would still have to find a away to hit it straight if they added trouble. These girls are so good, I just hate seeing the driver wedge on every single hole played by every single player regardless of where their tee shot goes. If distance was the most important thing, the guys you mentioned and a dozen others would not have ever one, let alone a few majors.

i agree with everything you say! it seems to me that a lot of these girls don't really have to shape shots and whatnot. it was amazing how many of them were hitting their approach shots short of the green and letting them run up. it would be nice to see them not be able to do that so much.

Exactly my point. Enough already with this stuff. These girls are incredibly talented. There is no reason for it. The cream will rise to the top and we wil get familiar with names rather than having a new winner every single week.

Exactly my point. Enough already with this stuff. These girls are incredibly talented. There is no reason for it. The cream will rise to the top and we wil get familiar with names rather than having a new winner every single week.

i would have no problems with this at all.

Marianne Skarpnord. It's fun to say. I'm having trouble reconciling the dress and the headband.

I like Bam.

Kevin

Marianne Skarpnord. It's fun to say. I'm having trouble reconciling the dress and the headband.

I like Bam.

Kevin

Bam is always a favorite. We have interviewed here at THP, and she is also a local.

I just have a real good feeling about Cristie Kerr on this one.

Play is suspended until tomorrow morning again. 7:30am

Back