The Florida Crime Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Diane, while that may be true I think Florida has a lock on the absolute craziest stuff. From now on when you are watching the news and they have a crazy story pay attention to how often it is from Florida. I think you will be shocked.

I've always thought that of any state in the South.

Of course he does. How could the Bandit not?

Spoiler
L10271276.jpg

Good point, dont forget "Cop and a half" also. We better get over there before they shut there doors forever.

That's an expensive soda

That's an expensive soda

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_ODD_STOLEN_CHANGE_ARREST?SITE=KING&SECTION=MIDWEST&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2009-09-04-21-23-51

Sep 4, 9:23 PM EDT

Thirsty Fla. woman accused of taking $7 in change from unlocked car parked at a police station

FORT PIERCE, Fla. (AP) -- A 19-year-old woman was accused of taking $7 in change from a car parked at a police station. An arrest affidavit released Thursday shows that Sophia Paulinyce was arrested on a felony burglary charge and a misdemeanor larceny charge. She's accused of taking change from a police employee's vehicle that was parked in a secure lot at the police station last month.

The report said Paulinyce told a detective she was thirsty, noticed an unlocked car and grabbed some change for the soda machine.

She asked to write a statement to apologize before being taken to jail. There was no phone number listed for a Sophia Paulinyce of Fort Pierce.

Does Meth make you thirsty?

When I saw the title of this, I was just praying that it was in Florida.

Spoiler

And, of course, it was!

Fla. cops say feces-covered nude man faces charges after breaking into yard and jumping in pool

STUART, Fla. (AP) -- A Florida man is facing charges after authorities said he was naked and covered in feces when he broke into a resident's backyard and jumped into the pool. A Martin County Sheriff's Office report shows 21-year-old Robert Stark Higgins was charged with burglary to an occupied dwelling, disorderly conduct and misdemeanor theft.

The resident told deputies he heard Higgins crash through the screen of his pool and take a splash Saturday night. Authorities said Higgins took a towel and fled. Deputies used a K-9 to track Higgins to a home. Higgins told deputies he had been drinking.

He was being held at the Martin County Jail on $10,500 bail. Jail officials said he did not immediately have an attorney.
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/storie...=KING&TEMPLATE=STRANGEHEADS.html&SECTION=HOME

I want to hear the front end of this story. The really quizzical part has to be how do you end up naked covered in feces?

Rule #1: Don't ask a question unless you're sure you want to know the answer.

I want to hear the front end of this story. The really quizzical part has to be how do you end up naked covered in feces?

Oh come on C-Tech, weve all been there before, right guys? (the sound of crickets)

Oh come on C-Tech, weve all been there before, right guys? (the sound of crickets)

Anything you care to share, Gasman? :question:

I just discovered that Fark.com, which is a website that reposts ridiculous, absurd, cool, etc news stories, has an entire category for

Upon further investigation (from Wikipedia):

Due to the large amount of headlines submitted to the site from the state of Florida, and because "so many stupid things happen in Florida, it deserved its own Fark tag." So the Florida tag was created at the suggestion of users.
Basis for the statement from a Tampa Tribune article:

Florida Seen As 'Fiesta Of Weirdness'

The Tampa Tribune

Published: August 9, 2007

'Man falls out of car while trying to spit. Guess which state.'

We don't have to guess because that headline, from an Internet news-posting site aimed at young adults, included a logo that simply says 'Florida.'

Drew Curtis, a media critic who runs the Fark.com site and may well scan more news stories each day than anyone else in the country, says Florida is by far the leading source of strange news. His readers send in quirky story suggestions by the thousands. He selects the stories he likes, posts links to them, and tags them to give an idea of the content, such as stupid, spiffy or asinine. Florida is the only proper noun on his tag list.

We asked Curtis what the Florida tag means. After he stopped laughing, he referred us to his new book.

His viewers suggested that 'so many stupid things happen in Florida, it deserved its own Fark tag,' Curtis wrote. 'I wasn't convinced it would get much use, but I decided to go ahead and put it up anyhow. Boy was I wrong.'

Below are recent examples of his Curtis's use of the Florida tag.

• Here's a great idea. Take a cougar to a 4-year-old's birthday and take it off the leash.

• Man evicted from place of business because he doesn't speak Spanish.

• If you're going to go into an office to ask for donations to cover the costs of your daughter's death, make sure your daughter isn't waiting in the car.

• Woman decides that Chuck E. Cheese would make a better parent than she would.

• If you're going to spread oil all over the floor of a grocery store and fake a fall, make sure the surveillance cameras aren't rolling.

'For some reason,' Curtis concluded, 'Florida is messed up. ... Perhaps it's the warm weather that makes people stupid. ... Whatever the reason, Florida is without a doubt the No. 1 state for weird news.

'I would be willing to bet that most of it begins with a few beers and goes downhill from there. ... Throw in some old people and some lost tourists and you have a fiesta of weirdness.'

We know. We live here.

Fark.com is a great site I have visited for years.

Fark.com is a great site I have visited for years.

And here I always thought Harry had invented the word, "fark." :disapointed:

Fark is where I have been getting my Florida stories from.

Of course, Florida is part of the south, even though it has been taken over by NY'ers. In the south, the most common thing heard before the fatal accident is, "Ya'll hold my beer and watch this!"

It only stands to reason that a lot of weirdness is going to happen down there.

I always forget that FL is part of the South. Atlanta too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back