Michael Vick signs new sponsorship contract with Nike

Just heard on ESPNradio that Nike says they havent signed any agreement with Vick. Apparently it was just a rumor.

I don't agree with what he did at all. I have a soft spot when it comes to animals, but if he is truly sorry for what he has done, then he has the opportunity to do some tremendous good because people will still see him as "real."

Who am I to judge the heart of a man. I just hope that he is not paying lip service to the people. As far as a Nike contract goes, I would not quit buying their stuff because they signed Vick. I probably would if they endorsed Charles Manson or Ed Gein, but not Vick. As someone said earlier, exploiting sweat shop work is much worse to me.

While what Vick did was horrible, there have been others that have done worse and served much less time. Donte Stallworth killed a man and only serve something like 23 days in jail. Sports teams don't care if these guys are upstanding citizens as long as they help the team win. And really the fans of the teams don't care either. If they did there wouldn't be som many convicted felons playing professional sports.

What happened to second chances? Are we not all thankful that we are not wholly judged upon the mistakes that we have made during our lifetime? I can understand that there are people out there that do not agree with what he did. But does that mean that he should never get another chance to do anything for the rest of his life?
Nike denies signing Michael Vick to sponsorship pact - ESPN

If Nike is going to sign Vicks, you can bet that they did a lot of market research to determine how their customers would respond to him. I've been reading the responses here and those of you that are opposed are men and women, age 30 - 50+ who play golf. You are a small segment of Nike's target demographics and not in the segment that Vicks would be speaking to. I'm sure Nike had negative responses in their research as well, but I would assume that Vicks tested positively with the majority of the respondents. This was not an arbitrary decision.

If Nike is going to sign Vicks, you can bet that they did a lot of market research to determine how their customers would respond to him. I've been reading the responses here and those of you that are opposed are men and women, age 30 - 50+ who play golf. You are a small segment of Nike's target demographics and not in the segment that Vicks would be speaking to. I'm sure Nike had negative responses in their research as well, but I would assume that Vicks tested positively with the majority of the respondents. This was not an arbitrary decision.

I'm sure that they DID their "market research" and that is why it has been CONFIRMED that he DOES NOT have a contract with nike........

Exactly.

Money and morality do not go hand in hand and "bottom lines" are far more important than feelings.

This is reality; this is Capitalism.

This is the fundamental reason why I cast such a jaundiced eye towards golf manufacturers who tell us all about how their products will help our golf games. The reality is that they'll tell us whatever we want to hear so long as it causes us to place our money into their pockets.

The only interest they have in our feelings is how they can manipulate them so that we'll buy their products because they really don't care about our golf games, they just want us to think they do.
And if telling us that the "Latest and Greatest" club, ball, bag, shoe or shirt will make us cool or sexy or shave strokes off of our games and make us all "winners", then that's what they'll say. Then after we've all dutifully swallowed the adspeak and stepped up to the register and paid the overinflated price for whatever it is that will make us feel better about ourselves, they take our money and laugh at us all the way to the bank.

Of course they do take a moment to remind us that an even better version will be out next year!

-JP

If you want to get real with it, weve been buying Nike stuff all this time knowing full-well that they willingly allow sweatshops exploiting the less fortunate to produce their products for the sake of cutting costs and now we want to jump on a moral high horse because they give endorsement money to an animal abuser. That seems absurd to me.

Have you ever seen Baseketball, that reminds me of the part in that movie.

Not that you need me to, but I agree with your post. But we have to remember that we as buyers need to educate ourselves in what is going on with advertisement claims in the market place. That's where the problem begins, with the consumer. Very few buyers will educate themselves, and like sheep will follow the lead of others. The sellers know this and rely on it for their profits. If the consumer were more responsible in their purchasing practices, companies could not get a way with a lot their claims of greatness, and would be held accountable for the prices they charge.

Exactly.

Money and morality do not go hand in hand and "bottom lines" are far more important than feelings.

This is reality; this is Capitalism.

This is the fundamental reason why I cast such a jaundiced eye towards golf manufacturers who tell us all about how their products will help our golf games. The reality is that they'll tell us whatever we want to hear so long as it causes us to place our money into their pockets.

The only interest they have in our feelings is how they can manipulate them so that we'll buy their products because they really don't care about our golf games, they just want us to think they do.
And if telling us that the "Latest and Greatest" club, ball, bag, shoe or shirt will make us cool or sexy or shave strokes off of our games and make us all "winners", then that's what they'll say. Then after we've all dutifully swallowed the adspeak and stepped up to the register and paid the overinflated price for whatever it is that will make us feel better about ourselves, they take our money and laugh at us all the way to the bank.

Of course they do take a moment to remind us that an even better version will be out next year!

-JP

I mean Ray Lewis was involved in a double homicide but people tend to forget that.

I haven't & won't. I despise the Ravens & can't stand to watch that prick knowing full well that he was involved & damn well knows what went down.

How many 'second chances' you want to give the guy?

He's had his second, third and more chances. He's a sleazebag, end of story.

Exactly.

Yet another reason for me to dislike Nike. Vick hasnt done anything to earn an endorsement deal, IMO its just a way for Nike to make money and get their name out there by using Vick's hype.

Nike is saying they only supplied product to Vicks, but what happened to the old agreement they had? Was it ever terminated or just put on hold? Did they ever release the shoes?

Their old deal was terminated with Vick. They supply products for a lot of different people that are not under contract. And lets not forget that the news of his "contract" was reported by a "friend of Vicks".

Back