Wedge Setup and Why?

I just changed irons due to this exact issue. I carry a 50* GW, 54* and 58* wedges. I use the 54 for most chips and full shots up to 95. The 58 is my sand wedge and for lob types of shots.

Previously, my iron set came with just a PW at 46* (full swing 120 yds), and I would hit half shots and 3/4 shots for anything in between this and my 54. Now with a gap wedge good for 110, I have all my distances covered.

Welcome to THP Iceman. Head over to the check-in desk and introduce yourself!

:welcome:

Thanks for the welcome everyone! Got the 50* Vokey on order, so I should be able to offer another opinion on this topic soon!

I carry 46*,52* and 58*.This seems to work well for me although I like the idea of carrying 4 wedges to tighten my yardage gaps and offer me more options.To do this however I would have to drop my 19* hybrid or the 3 iron.This may be a project for next season.

I currently carry my PW (46), GW (50), a 54 and a 58 wedge. It provides the best gaps for me. I have also at times swapped the 58 for a 60.

I got 47* PW, 53* GW, and 58* LW.

A Stock PW is about 125, but if I go at it i can get it up to about 130. A stock GW is about 110, but I can get it up to just under 120. A stock LW is is about 85, I can't get anything more out of it, but I don't want to at this point. I hit my 58* out of the bunker, and around the greens I use what ever the shot calls for.

48° PW, 52° GW, 55° SW, 59° LW. I also carry set-matched down to the sand wedge, and an actual wedgy-wedge for the 59°. I've found that at my skill level it's better to have normal full-swing easy to hit clubs for every shot than to try and get fancy with a number of clubs. If I need to hit a fancy shot of some sort I have the one wedge for that. Chips and square- or open-faced pitches can be done with any of the clubs to accomplish straighforward short shots of appropriate length. The gap between the long clubs is wide-ish, but I'm honest with myself enough to know that at my skill level it's much more important to have consistent spacing inside 150yds than it is to be able to dial in a 200+yd shot to a 10yd range. I'm much more likely to stick a 80yd shot close than a 200yd one.

My current set up, which is my favorite b/c it allows me more clubs to use out of the rough and to fill full shot gaps, is:

pw 45 deg
aw 50 deg
sw 56 deg

I also have a 54 bent to 55 with 11 bounch and a 60 3 bounce that i substitute in when I play a course that has alot of tight lies or firm conditions.

PW 47*
GW 52*
SW 57*

Bounce goes from low (4) to high (14) in the SW. I am taller, with a steeper angle of attack so I generally need a little more bounce to stop digging.

Never carried a LW or anything like that, anything I can't take a full swing at is a punch/chip with the PW or GW. Although I do have some modified, self ground, knockoff of the Solus type grinds on the GW and SW to allow me to lay the blade open a little easier for certain lies/flops.

Currently using a 45* PW, 50* gap wedge, and a 58.10 LW.

I wonder periodically if I would do better to use a 56* / 60* setup.... but that would mean giving up the 5W or the 3H, which I'm not super keen to do. Nor does it seem like the best idea to just go with a 56* SW, though that would be the other option if I ever become good enough to notice the distance gaps.

Just thinking that if the big oems, and other club manufacturers got together and did what ever was needed to get the 14 club rule changed to 15, they would probably sell more wedges. Also it would make it easier on those of us who are constantly pulling, and adding to our bag make up.

45 50 (51) and 58
No gaps as i never use the 58 from the fairway. I am very comfortable with 1/2 and 3/5 swings with a gap wedge. The 58 is a good sand wedge and lob wedge. Move the ball about an inch back and its a 56 while slightly opening the face for a 60. Its the most versatile club in my bag

Full swing distances
PW- 120+
GW- 105
SW/LW - 70

I carry a 53, 56, 60. However I plan on scrapping the 53 and getting a 52. Not necessarily for playability but the fact that I HATE my 53 degree. Its a Cleveland dyadic that's unfinished so its all rusty. No matter how solid I hit the thing it feels like i'm hitting a rock. Looking to go with a vokey or the CG 12 or 15.

This is in addition to my 46 degree PW. I realize that 46-53 seems like a pretty good gap but I never felt like there was a distance that I couldn't hit. I think the only problem was my confidence in the 53 that I use.

Best wedge combination?

Best wedge combination?

For an amature what is the best wedge combination to have in the bag? Currently I have a 45* PW, a 51* AW, and a 58* cg15.....is that a good range to have? what do you suggest, I very rarely use my PW, but am not sure what I could replace it with.

The rule of thumb i use is usually a 4 or 6* gap between your wedges.

I'm close then i guess.....I'm trying to figure out what to replace my PW with or if I even should......What do you use your PW for? I know it's diffrent for everyone but i never find myself in the position of 150-100 yards to use it....

The 2 threads have been merged.

The 2 threads have been merged.

Seriously.....do you have something against me or what :confused2:

Reactions: JB
Seriously.....do you have something against me or what :confused2:

What are you talking about. There are 2 threads on the exact same topic. Those two threads get merged. It has nothing to do with you. It makes searching for the thousands that come to this site easier. :banghead:

I just thought you were being mean that's all......:(

I know I have a problem with my wedges. I have a 49* Niblick and a 52* CG12 that I hit close to the same distance with, and a 58* wedge. I was thinking about getting the 56* Niblick and then maybe a 60*...

I know I have a problem with my wedges. I have a 49* Niblick and a 52* CG12 that I hit close to the same distance with, and a 58* wedge. I was thinking about getting the 56* Niblick and then maybe a 60*...

so no PW? How do you like the niblick? You hit it the same distance as the 56*?

Back