Thread: Driving irons and iron hybrids

Major Champion
    Handicap
    Thanks

Driving irons and iron hybrids

Many of the clubs that are available now were not even around the when last I played regularly and I have just not gotten around to trying everything. For those that have tried driving irons and iron hybrids, are they at all comparable? Is something like a 2 iron hybrid very similar to a driving iron or are they very different animals?

Handicap
    RCGA 14.2
    Thanks
    To me they are really different... The driving irons are much tougher for me to hit and the hybrids are so forgiving and somewhat easy to use. Of course there are tons of different factors: shaft, forgiveness of hybrid, clubhead etc... But you should check it out if you have a chance. My pops played a driving iron and has just recently gone hybrid. Once you get the hang of it.. so easy and smooth.
    Whats in my Bag..

Covert Driver
    3 Deep
    XHP's
    J40 Wedges
    Method Putter

Quote Originally Posted by One-T View Post
    Tina, dont let anyone tell you different, we are the only item. Yes, CB and I may have spooned once. But, it didnt mean anything.

Handicap
    Fore Right
    Thanks
    ya i agree go hybrid. alot easier to control. driving iron is like a 3iron which is harder to hit than a hybrid and you dont see very many people using them now days because its so much easier to hit a hybrid. driving irons are better for low handicappers because they can get the ball up in the air easier and are able to control it.. just my opinion though..
    Driver: Superfast 10.5* w/Miyazaki C. Kua
    3 Wood: SuperFast w/ Miyazaki C. Kua
    3 Hybrid: SuperLaunch Rescue 18*
    Irons: Burner 2.0 (4-PW)
    Wedges: xFT 50, 55 w/ DG Spinners
    Putter: Soon to be White Ice #9

Major Champion
    Handicap
    Thanks
    Thanks guys, I am sure you are right.

I have a 3 hybrid that I have just started to work with. I got it with the iron set I play.

I have not seen any driving irons in any of the shops that I frequent and did not know what to think of those. Not sure if it was something I should be thinking about but now I think you guys have cured me of any inclinations in that direction. This game is tough enough as it is. I think I will see how things go with the 3H that I have and if I really like the results maybe add one more hybrid.

Handicap
    TMEX 0.5
    Thanks
    The only reason I would ever consider a driving iron over a hybrid now is if I had a need to keep the ball low and running for a lot of shots. Hybrids just win.
    WITB
    H2NO -
    R9 460 TP
    R9 TP 15* + 19*
    Fybrid RS 21*
    VR Pro Combo 4-PW - courtesy of and
    V-Sole 52* & 57*
    Victoria 2 34"

Quote Originally Posted by TC View Post
    paulo is so sexy! I'd use your towel too bro.

Club Pro
    Handicap
    Thanks
    Depends on the player perhaps? A friend of mine uses a driving iron instead of a hybrid, and his reasoning was that he couldn't hit a wood worth squat so he felt more comfortable with the driving iron? (I don't necessarily agree with his argument, but I do understand where he's coming from)

Personally, I feel like you really don't have a shot of hitting a driving iron unless you're already pretty decent with your long irons. The hybrids are much easier to just bomb out there. As for actually hitting with a specific trajectory in mind, I have more trouble. I'm able to control my irons close enough to the way I want, but I have a much harder time doing it with a "wood-like" head. (my draws always seem to end up hooks and fades turn into slices with woods) But that's more of a consideration if you're actually trying to work the ball.

Some folks call it a Sling Blade, I call it a Putter Blade. Mmmmm. Smallville's Avatar
    Handicap
    15.0 OOB
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,732 Times in 3,568 Posts
    My best friend has a driving iron. He got one because he couldn't hit a wood at all. He would always use his 3-iron to tee off with but I kept on him and he finally found one he liked and bought it. He hit it a TON!

He didn't try a hybrid because this was back around 2000. He hasn't played in probably 8 or 9 years. He may or may not use a hybdid IF he ever plays again!
    Angry Mod
    Adams a12OS 7-PW irons
    TaylorMade Tour Preferred CB AW iron
    Callaway Dark Chrome Forged 54 wedge
    Odyssey Metal X #7 putter
    Titleist Velocity ball
    Golflogix-8 GPS | Bushnell Yardage Pro 1000
    Still using the Greensaver divot repair tool.
    Forever using the Serola Sacroiliac Belt.
    Click for Kansas City, Kansas Forecast

"Win if you can, lose if you must, but find a way to get it done." - - - Marty Schottenheimer

Handicap
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,305 Times in 2,477 Posts
    I find them quite different, most driving irons really just add a bit of bluk and not near as much forgiveness as you get out of a hybrid. Coming from a person like myself that used to carry a two iron and now my longest iron is a 5. I love all 3 of my hybrids and wouldn't give them up for the world. They are just too easy to hit.
    In my "custom" 97th Infantry 2014 US Open Stand
    Spoiler
    AMP Cell Red MyFly 10.5*/ RIP Beta
    SLDR Mini 14*
    Super S 3 Wood, Super 3 Hybo
    VR Pro Combo 5-PW
    CG14 52*, RTX CB 56*"KYLE", RTX MB 60*
    DB4/38" CB/Belly 17"