Pro Golf Going The Way of NASCAR?

staticline

Reaction score
Handicap
Quotes in another thread made me think of this:

It was a great win today. I'd just like to thank the Pink Panther Team, TaylorMade, SAP, CDW and Dr. Thumbfixer. And, the crew on the TaylorMade bag today did great, as usual. Really quick on the clubs and numbers while between shots. Also, the new Ghost Rossa was irreplaceable. It kept me in the game all weekend. We were runnin' 3 & 4 wide most of the weekend, tradin' divots. Before the turn, the Korean Callaway team really had the hammer down with that -5 front. And, the Pettersen Nike bag battled us hard. But, once we made that final turn back to the clubhouse, except for the caution flag on twelve, we just kept the foot down with the R7's and the TaylorMade bag brought home.

I'm sure the club/ball/clothing manufacturers would love it. I know in NASCAR they do. Win on Sunday, sell on Monday!

Not a huge fan of the extra logos on the players' shirts and hats, but it's a sign of the times. They just really ruin a nice piece of clothing.

I'm sure the club/ball/clothing manufacturers would love it. I know in NASCAR they do. Win on Sunday, sell on Monday!

I wouldn't be surprised if some of the newer contracts have that language in them, along with some bonus money if done. Of course, you gotta win first.

The average joe/jane doesn't look at WITB for second place (first loser) gear.

155 players may have been using the Titleist ProV. But a Bridgestone won.

JB,
You got the WITB for Creamer?

I wouldn't be surprised if some of the newer contracts have that language in them, along with some bonus money if done. Of course, you gotta win first.

The average joe/jane doesn't look at WITB for second place (first loser) gear.

155 players may have been using the Titleist ProV. But a Bridgestone won.

JB,
You got the WITB for Creamer?

We will have all the winners WITB first thing tomorrow morning. We post our winners WITB each Tuesday morning.

You can't blame the sponsors for expecting the players to push the products. I'd say the players are more aware of the troubles the sponsors are experiancing in today's economy.

I have no problems with the logos. People want to know what the pros play and what brand clothing they wear, etc. Without these companies the golf tournaments wouldn't be the same. I actually support companies that sponsor golfers. But one thing I have noticed is that there is less sponorship this year than in the past excpet for the few star players. However, when I watch the European Tour, those guys look like NASCARS. Logos all over.

I have no problems with the logos. People want to know what the pros play and what brand clothing they wear, etc. Without these companies the golf tournaments wouldn't be the same. I actually support companies that sponsor golfers. But one thing I have noticed is that there is less sponorship this year than in the past excpet for the few star players. However, when I watch the European Tour, those guys look like NASCARS. Logos all over.

Examples?

Oh, I wasn't talking about the clothing/equipment logos. More about the other ones, like Westwood's UPS logo, etc.

Examples?

I have noticed it mostly on the LPGA players. It appears a lot of their sponsors have left golf (tournament sponsors and player sponsors). As for the the PGA and Seniors, I believe Cadillac has cut back its sponsorship (Freddy and a couple of other guys I believe). And I know you can't count the sponsors that dropped Tiger, but they haven't picked anyone else up with their freed up sponsorship dollars.

I have noticed it mostly on the LPGA players. It appears a lot of their sponsors have left golf (tournament sponsors and player sponsors). As for the the PGA and Seniors, I believe Cadillac has cut back its sponsorship (Freddy and a couple of other guys I believe). And I know you can't count the sponsors that dropped Tiger, but they haven't picked anyone else up with their freed up sponsorship dollars.

Cadillac had no choice being part of GM, but its ironic because more small companies have picked up the slack. While the dollars are slightly less player contracts have actually not gone down at all. In fact more players have deals in 2010 than ever before combining the LPGA & PGA Tours.

In fact more players are choosing not to take an individual apparel contract because they can earn more money with putting on several patches than one brand.

The only difference between golf and NASCAR is NASCAR has wrecks.

Oh wait:

Spoiler
Golf has John Daly, so golf has a train wreck, does that count?

Back