Tom Watson's Lessons of a Lifetime - Facebook contest prize feedback thread

solidkjames

Loves drowning golf balls
Reaction score
Handicap
9.8CGA
Well I got home late yesterday and in the mail was my prize from the new Facebook contest put on by THP at the THP facebook page. For those of you who have facebook and haven't added THP be SURE to do so as GG is working hard on contests that you won't be able to win here.

Anyways as far as the DVD goes I haven't had time to watch it yet but I will add pictures and my reviews of disc 1 and 2 over the next week or so and if in the mean time anyone has any questions regarding the DVD please ask away and I will try to find out an answer for you. I look forward to watching this awesome dvd and just wanted to say thanks to THP again!!!

Congrats SJ, that was a great prize to win. Excited to hear what you think of it.

I am looking forward to this as Tom Watson has been on my favorite player list for many years. Congrats on the win!

congrats skj!

I got to watch the 1st disc today and let me start by saying this is a great instructional video for a beginner all the way to a low handicapper. The DVD starts off showing some highlights of Tom's career followed by an introduction by him naming his influences and how he started the game. Then he jumps right into the lessons. Each lesson is taught with an emphasis on what is the proper way to do something and then he will show why it is better to do it that way. His example of proper grip pressure has to be the easiest way I have ever seen to explain to a person how hard to grip the club. It's the little things like this that make you appreciate him putting out a dvd with easy to understand techniques and lessons that can help all types of players by showing you his technique and on some lesson's his influences that taught him the game.

Disc one is geared more toward the beginner level golfer but towards the end it gets more and more into the juicy stuff of how to hit different types of shots from all types of lies. Truly valuable information for any skill level. THe first disc is about 1 hour and 16 minutes long so there is lots of infomation to cover. I haven't got to watch disc 2 yet but I'm sure it's going to be more and more indepth and focusing more on the short game. The disc sets ends with a Bruce Edwards tribute followed by a behind the scenes look at the dvd. Not even getting to watch but half of the dvd I am confident in telling anyone who wants to get great pointers and drills to help improve their game to pick this up. It's a great tool to help you visualize with the graphics that accompany all of his teaching and he explains things in a way that most anyone can understand whether they have been playing for a week or 25 years. I'll list the lessons covered on the 1st disc below along with some pictures of how the lessons are illustrated for a better understanding of what he is saying. If anyone has questions please post them and I'll try to answer them as I watch the lessons.

Lessons on disc one
1. Definition of Terms
2. The Grip
3. Grip Pressure
4. The Setup
5. Aim & Alignment
6. Two Methods of Aiming - Jack's pick a spot or goal post
7. Ball Position
8. "The Secret"
9. Find Your Waggle
10. The Takeaway
11. The Back Swing
12. The Back Swing, closer look
13. Transition & Downswing
14. Impact
15. Follow Through to Finish
16. Rhythm - my favorite lesson so far
17. The Hook
18. The Slice
19. Low (Punch) Shot
20. High Shot
21. Uneven Lies
22. Adding Distance

Wow, you are making me want to get this video asap!

Same here hawk. Great write-up james!

Hahaha, nice.

Are you going to let us know what "The Secret" is or are you going to make us buy the video (not that we don't want to buy it anyway)?

Are you going to let us know what "The Secret" is or are you going to make us buy the video (not that we don't want to buy it anyway)?

It's about keeping your spine angle the same through the full golf shot. Your backswing and down swing should travel on the same plane and make sure you turn your shoulders perpendicular to your spine angle.

That's about the jest of it.

It's about keeping your spine angle the same through the full golf shot. Your backswing and down swing should travel on the same plane and make sure you turn your shoulders perpendicular to your spine angle.

That's about the jest of it.

Ok good that it's golf related. I was worried that he would say something like, "My pants" and that would be the end of it. :D

Back