Weight shift to the left side

tdinbr

Water hazards are tough!
Reaction score
Handicap
I am currently a 15 handicap and shoot in the low 80's on a good day and upper 90's on a bad one. A friend of mine was taking some action pics of our group during our last rounds and when we looked at them I was totally shocked. I am right handed and on the pics he had taken where I am at finish my right foot is flat on the ground!!!
I think I have a case of the reverse pivots judging from the photos. I'll see if I can get him to email me some so I can post them.....embarrassing as it is.
My question is this......what drills can I do to get to my left? I know of the step through drill and the "feet together, step forward as if hitting a baseball" drill. Any others I should try??
The baseball diamond swing thought I got from you has cured my slice (mostly) so I am hoping you can work another miracle for me!!!

Pic is from Edgewood Tahoe, Hole #16 Tee

Last edited:
The step through drill is one of the best for getting the weight going forward. Something you can do around the house to force the feel is a simple one. On your back swing transfer the weight back and stand on your right foot only. On the down swing step into it and drive to the front so you are standing on your left foot only. THis will get you to feel the weight going back and through during the swing. Try this out and let me know how things go.

A lot of instructors are recommending 60 40 weight distribution with 60 on the front (left for you) foot, and maintaining that through the backswing. In other words no weight shift on the backswing. Then shift the 40 percent left so that you are fully on your left foot during the downswing. This prevents a lot of swing faults and i really don't see the need to get fully on your right side ever for a normal full swing. Obviously awkward lies and bunker situations may necessitate the weight to be on the right but you get the gist i hope.

A lot of instructors are recommending 60 40 weight distribution with 60 on the front (left for you) foot, and maintaining that through the backswing. In other words no weight shift on the backswing. Then shift the 40 percent left so that you are fully on your left foot during the downswing. This prevents a lot of swing faults and i really don't see the need to get fully on your right side ever for a normal full swing. Obviously awkward lies and bunker situations may necessitate the weight to be on the right but you get the gist i hope.

I don't know about a "lot" of instructors recommending this technique. This sounds an awful lot like the "stack and tilt" swing. While this may be a valid swing technique, most teaching pros will advocate a weight shift to the right side and then back to the left in the swing.

I don't know about a "lot" of instructors recommending this technique. This sounds an awful lot like the "stack and tilt" swing. While this may be a valid swing technique, most teaching pros will advocate a weight shift to the right side and then back to the left in the swing.

Wlly you don't tilt nor do you take the club back super deep nor shift weight left in the backswing. You do all those with stack and tilt. Basically this principal of not shifting to the right makes iy easier to get to your left side, prevents swaying, isn't a power leak, and is simpler than trying to time a big shift. Sean Foley is probably the biggest dvocate of this but alot of pros are picking up on it.

The step through drill is one of the best for getting the weight going forward. Something you can do around the house to force the feel is a simple one. On your back swing transfer the weight back and stand on your right foot only. On the down swing step into it and drive to the front so you are standing on your left foot only. THis will get you to feel the weight going back and through during the swing. Try this out and let me know how things go.

Been following your advice on this for my last few practice sessions and seems to be working out well. I just hope I can transfer it to the course.

I wish I had never heard of Stack and Tilt!!! That's probably why I started doing this in the first place!!!! It's evil I tell ya!!:pissed-off:

Back