WGC Bridgestone Invitational [Spoilers]

Was Williams being serious with his racing analogy? He's a great caddy when out in front? I mean come on, pretty sure it was Scott hitting the shots. Williams isn't a pga member he's just a caddy!

Was Williams being serious with his racing analogy? He's a great caddy when out in front? I mean come on, pretty sure it was Scott hitting the shots. Williams isn't a pga member he's just a caddy!

He absolutely was. Scott was the first to say that He grabbed a 7 iron to lay up late in the match and Williams handed him the 5 iron and the line to be aggressive.
All these guys can hit the shots and sometimes it takes a different kind of person to get someone over the top. Its about partnership between two guys out there, but a caddie does far more than just carry bag and hand a guy clubs.

Were we watching the same tournament?

Tiger finished up, had a brief interview in which he said that he had a lot to work on, was gracious, smiled quite a bit and then he left.

It was CBS and Williams that turned this into the Tiger Woods show, so what is there to defend?
As an unabashed Tiger fan, I was happy to see him play and I think Watson was right when he told McCord after Saturday's round that he thought Tiger was "very close".

The tournament itself was a lot of fun to watch and had many potential winners and almost went down to the wire until Scott chipped in at (14, was it?) and began to pull away. Though I've never been a big AS fan, I was happy to see him win and happy to see him so confident.
I saw many great shots by many players who will be great one day and overall I thought it was a great week for professional golf and I thoroughly enjoyed the whole event.

Can you explain to me just how that makes me a poor loser? :confused2:

Well said.

And thereafter, Scott hit the shot. I'm mean come on, Williams was acting like it was Tiger Wood's golf on PS3 out there. Certainly, he's a great caddy and played a role in Scott's victory, but Scott was the person executing the shots. Scott was who held onto the lead, not Williams.

And thereafter, Scott hit the shot. I'm mean come on, Williams was acting like it was Tiger Wood's golf on PS3 out there. Certainly, he's a great caddy and played a role in Scott's victory, but Scott was the person executing the shots. Scott was who held onto the lead, not Williams.

I dont think anybody is questioning that. And certainly not Williams who must have said 50 times how great working FOR Adam Scott was. And how smooth he was hitting the ball.
I get that TW fans are really upset about this, but it is what it is. The tabloid stuff follows Woods around because of his actions. Does it suck a little bit? Yes, but if Woods' fans are going to get upset with every negative comment geared towards the athlete, it is must have been a rough two years and is not getting any better.

I dont think anybody is questioning that. And certainly not Williams who must have said 50 times how great working FOR Adam Scott was. And how smooth he was hitting the ball.
I get that TW fans are really upset about this, but it is what it is. The tabloid stuff follows Woods around because of his actions. Does it suck a little bit? Yes, but if Woods' fans are going to get upset with every negative comment geared towards the athlete, it is must have been a rough two years and is not getting any better.

Didn't sound like he was racing FOR anyone, he's the great racer/caddy with the lead. I'm a Woods fan and hardly upset, more amused. Scott's the one getting the shaft in this story. The news isn't Scott's performance, it's Williams remarks regarding Tiger. He better hope Scott likes drama, because there's certainly going to be even more for him going into the PGA!

Upset?
No.

Perplexed, amused maybe.
I didn't understand the racing analogy either and frankly, even though I realize that Williams was taking a shot at Tiger, I felt bad for Scott because this was HIS moment and Williams upstaged him by going on his little rant about what a winner he was and I think that was simply not the moment to do that.

I think he feels slighted that Tiger gave him the boot and what I saw was a guy who was lashing out at that and using the wrong moment to do so.
If anything, I actually felt a little embarrassed for Williams and more than a bit angry that he walked all over his boss's victory.

Didn't sound like he was racing FOR anyone, he's the great racer/caddy with the lead. I'm a Woods fan and hardly upset, more amused. Scott's the one getting the shaft in this story. The news isn't Scott's performance, it's Williams remarks regarding Tiger. He better hope Scott like's drama, because there's certainly going to be even more for him going into the PGA!

If it does not bother Scott, who cares? Outside of Woods fans nobody will.

Upset?
No.

Perplexed, amused maybe.
I didn't understand the racing analogy either and frankly, even though I realize that Williams was taking a shot at Tiger, I felt bad for Scott because this was HIS moment and Williams upstaged him by going on his little rant about what a winner he was and I think that was simply not the moment to do that.

I think he feels slighted that Tiger gave him the boot and what I saw was a guy who was lashing out at that and using the wrong moment to do so.
If anything, I actually felt a little embarrassed for Williams and more than a bit angry that he walked all over his boss's victory.

I stand by my thoughts throughout this thread. Look at those "amused" by it. They are all Woods fans and talking about Adam Scott getting "upstaged". Talk to anybody that knows Scott, and you will realize how funny that really is.

Well said JWLI, I'm not sure if I'm even a TW fan but guys using anything they can imagine to tear him down is tiresome. Until SW had his little interview nobody even mentioned TW. Now they are sore losers? Get real.

If it does not bother Scott, who cares? Outside of Woods fans nobody will.

I stand by my thoughts throughout this thread. Look at those "amused" by it. They are all Woods fans and talking about Adam Scott getting "upstaged". Talk to anybody that knows Scott, and you will realize how funny that really is.

I don't know Adam Scott and I don't know any of his friends.

I'm just relating the way it looked to me as I saw it on my TV and what I saw was a guy who chose the wrong moment to pat himself on the back and I'm sure that I'm not the only one who saw it that way.

I'm not sure some people realize just how important a good caddie is out there.

By no means am I saying the Caddie hits the shots, makes the putts, etc. BUT a good caddie helps out greatly in the mental part of the game.

For a few examples, lets compare Scott to Tiger.

Stevie has caddied for them both, both of whom have won with him on the bag, but I believe his role to be slightly different with each golfer and why Stevie made the comments he did.

With Scott, there's not the paparazzi following him and enormous numbers, much larger than any other golfer out there. This allowed Stevie to concentrate on helping Scott personally. This allowed Stevie to help Adam out with course knowledge and Scott's overall ability. Scott has never been known an an aggressive player, but Stevie knew Scott had the game and pushed him in a few instances. You could also see it on both Adam's and Stevie's faces that they were enjoying themselves out there and it showed in Scott's game and body language.

With Tiger on the other hand, Stevie was more like a security guard and had to 'protect' Tiger from the cameras and fans. Tiger was always known as an aggressive player and sometimes even an over aggressive player and from what I have read, called 90% of the shots.

Was glad to see Scott give Stevie some credit for the win because like most sports, it's a team sport out there even if most don't believe it. Barely ever heard of Tiger given Stevie any credit.

Just so people know, this is not a Tiger 'hating' post, or a Stevie won it for Scott post. Just wanted to compare the two and help people realize that Caddies DO matter.

Reactions: JB
I'm sure that I'm not the only one who saw it that way.

Im sure you are not either. As I kind of eluded to in my previous posts.

I don't know Adam Scott and I don't know any of his friends.

I'm just relating the way it looked to me as I saw it on my TV and what I saw was a guy who chose the wrong moment to pat himself on the back and I'm sure that I'm not the only one who saw it that way.

http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/blog/devil_ball_golf/post/Steve-Williams-is-holding-a-serious-grudge-again;_ylt=AsA.J6n_t3bBjUlYLqNTHbQogsUF?urn=golf-wp4473

Poll question on Yahoo, did Williams comments go too far? I don't think that Scott's the type of guy who wants a media created feud between he and Tiger. I think Scott seems like a nice and laid back guy, but then again, I don't know him or any of his friends.

You know what will make the Tiger fans forget all of this and calm down? A Tiger victory.

---
- ^^^^^^ I Tapped That ^^^^^^

http://sports.yahoo.com/golf/blog/devil_ball_golf/post/Steve-Williams-is-holding-a-serious-grudge-again;_ylt=AsA.J6n_t3bBjUlYLqNTHbQogsUF?urn=golf-wp4473

Poll question on Yahoo, did Williams comments go too far? I don't think that Scott's the type of guy who wants a media created feud between he and Tiger. I think Scott seems like a nice and laid back guy, but then again, I don't know him or any of his friends.

And these comments from the article sum it all up:

The [Williams'] comments obviously wreak of sour grapes, but it's incredible to see Williams still holding a serious grudge against Woods.
Not only did he take the spotlight away from his own player this week, but he proclaimed that a World Golf Championship was the greater than 13 major championship with one of the best players in the history of the game.

It's hard to defend Tiger Woods these days, but Williams comments were beyond classless.
I understand the need to vent and put Tiger in his place, but if there was ever a time to be the bigger man and move on, this was the moment.

...Williams got just what he wanted following his split from Woods; he's on top and the biggest story in golf. It's just a shame it came at the expense of his own player.​

I couldn't have said it better myself.

I don't think that Scott's the type of guy who wants a media created feud between he and Tiger.

I don't either, and unless this is a one off thing, Scott may replace SW with someone without a bone to pick. If I was worried about unnecessary tension between my caddy and his former boss on the last day of a major I'd change him out PDQ. Especially if I was going to be paired with him on sunday. SW opened a can of worms here.

You know what will make the Tiger fans forget all of this and calm down? A Tiger victory.

---
- ^^^^^^ I Tapped That ^^^^^^

You got that right. I picked him this week to really come back strong. I was clearly delusional because that is not what I saw, but hopefully the PGA is a different story. I would like to see him back playing good golf at this point.

There are a whole lot of fans that need that evidently and until that time, the tabloid stuff is going to be what we hear most about. Because in the end, the fans of TW are the loudest in golf (good and bad) and if he is playing well, at least it will be loud about golf.

I want to see him play well too and I thought he would, but there's a vacancy in his eyes that I've never seen before. I really hope he can pull it together and settle the score the old fashioned way with SW one day, on the course.

Wow this is blown out of proportion, just like anything surrounding Tiger

I want to see him play well too and I thought he would, but there's a vacancy in his eyes that I've never seen before. I really hope he can pull it together and settle the score the old fashioned way with SW one day, on the course.

Youre right, there is a definite vacancy in his eyes. He no longer has that "death stare" he once had when his game was clicking. It could be because his game isnt clicking though...

All in all, I would love to see Tiger play well, and go toe to toe with the hot guns out there right now.

I didn't know where else to post this, but did anyone else just watch Pat Perez storm off the course, after Piercy got on in 3? He just started throwing stuff out of his pockets onto the ground and then damn near ran over some kids who wanted an autograph and just knocked the paper away they wanted signed. Ummmmm kinda a douche move man, makes me think a lot less of him right now.

I didn't know where else to post this, but did anyone else just watch Pat Perez storm off the course, after Piercy got on in 3? He just started throwing stuff out of his pockets onto the ground and then damn near ran over some kids who wanted an autograph and just knocked the paper away they wanted signed. Ummmmm kinda a douche move man, makes me think a lot less of him right now.

That was Stevie. hehe.

So what's the over/under on how many questions it take before SW's comments are brought up during Tiger's interviews from Atlanta? I'm guessing 2.
Other than that, as a "Tiger Lover" as SOME chose to label us... it was basically what I expected. Some good and a lot of bad. While I will admit the Tiger fans need to be more realistic in our expectations for the rest of this year, I've yet to hear anything from the Tiger haters about Mickelson's and Gmac's performance... both who have played a lot more that 9 holes in the past few months.
As far as SW/AS and TW.... who cares people? SW is bitter bc after standing by TW though the past few months he was fired. TW is still lost in his game and probably wishes he still had SW on the bag and AS played his A@# off and is lost in all this childish drama. The horse is dead... move on.:deadhorse:

I've yet to hear anything from the Tiger haters about Mickelson's and Gmac's performance...

This is so confusing.
But reading between the lines, I am guessing you skimmed most of this thread. :act-up:

Back