Golf Ball Hitting Steel at 150 mph

Status
Not open for further replies.

_JL_

Let's Go Pens
Reaction score
Handicap
N/A

I had no clue they were that flexible, it looks like flubber!

thats gotta be a special ball or something, no way a golf ball does that right? lol

this might call for a test.

thats gotta be a special ball or something, no way a golf ball does that right? lol
I don't know, I just saw it on RockBottom's Twitter accout and I thought it was kinda cool.

I'm thinking that may be a trick or something. There are guys with very high swing speed, maybe not 150 but not too far off and if the ball did that it would go nomhere.

I'm thinking that may be a trick or something. There are guys with very high swing speed, maybe not 150 but not too far off and if the ball did that it would go nomhere.

They are showing ball speed, not swing speed.

He sure was.

Its no trick and is 100% legit. Soft and compressionable (even a word?) will make this happen.

"I thought someone was filming me on that last drive."
hahaa I wish.

My ball speed at my bridgestone ball fitting was 158.8 average with a swing speed ranging from 107-111 mph. Ball speeds can easily reach 180 or more with long drivers hitting the ball about 200 mph. That is a crazy video.

That is nuts...

awesome video but there is no way that is a normal golf ball.

GUys it IS a normal golf ball.

"Activate old gray" Heck that's the way my ball looks while coming off of the face after one of my 250 yd nine iron shots. "Deactivate old gray"

I am always the skeptic until proven otherwise. Without actual documented proof I do not believe that this is a normal golf ball. Maybe it's real but they used a balata ball or some type of elastic ball. I just don't see that amount of compression happening with any of the golf balls in my bag. I would think its molecular structure would not allow it to deform that much and especially be able to go back to its identical shape.

crazy!!! wonder what ball it was... ProV1, Srixon... Maxfli noodle?

It seems hard to believe that this is real. However, the steel-plate (which I cannot clearly see in the video), and whatever it may be anchored too, may be a lot heavier than your typical driver-clubhead, which might go a long way towards explaining the unexpected behavior.

This compressive strength test video makes the video shown in post #1 a bit more believable to me:

[YOUTUBE]ukCPpioWDtM&NR[/YOUTUBE]

The ball compresses quite a bit. The premature breakdown observed here appears to be caused by the edges of the undersized tool cutting into the cover.

Check this out

Check this out

I thought golfers would be interested in seeing this.

Tiger Woods has a swing speed just under 130 mph. I had no idea the golf ball compresses this much.

But first a little history I recently learned:

1- The Pro V-1 golf ball by Titleist is actually a three part ball, but
you have to have a club head speed of at least 100 mph or more to be able to compress all three stages...If you don't the ball never fully
compresses and you don't get the distance out of it that the pro's do.

2- You might get more distance out of a ball that only has two stages of compression...
Like the Titleist NG Tour. It is more suited to slower swing speeds and you can compress it upon impact and can hit it further than the Pro V-1 ball.

3- So the secret is not to buy the most expensive balls out there
because you are actually decreasing the distance you can hit the ball,
unless your club head speed is over 100 mph

Watch this video, this shows what a golf ball goes through when hit at 150 mph...it's amazing to me how long these balls last.

http://www.flixxy.com/golf-ball-slow-motion.htm

Maybe you know a little about this here...still trying to get a clear answer to question I've asked before.

What exactly do the compression numbers on balls mean. For example, when they say a ball has a compression of '90', what does that mean. Does it mean it requires a swing speed of at least 90mph to compress?

Maybe you know a little about this here...still trying to get a clear answer to question I've asked before.

What exactly do the compression numbers on balls mean. For example, when they say a ball has a compression of '90', what does that mean. Does it mean it requires a swing speed of at least 90mph to compress?

This thread has been merged with an existing thread.

As to Ken's question, let me see if I can help.

Golf ball compression is a word that applies to the density of your golf ball. To the regular golf it is a form of measurement that tells the player how hard or soft the golf ball really is.

A general rule of thumb is that players with a lower swing speed should use a lower compression ball to take advantage of the added spring affect, however there is no real set in stone numbers. I think this really makes fitting such a valuable tool. Finding out what compression works best for you.

So these numbers are similar to shaft flexes...no uniform standard/formula between the manufacturers?

So these numbers are similar to shaft flexes...no uniform standard/formula between the manufacturers?

Well no, its less about that than it is about sayinig

Swing Speed X should play this compression only and Swing Speed Y should play this compression only.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back