Run through lines…anyone aware of them?

The vast majority of golfers are respectful of a playing partners line.I think worrying about your through line is usually a sign of putting anxiety.I mean from 30-40 feet your through line is pretty much undetermined even if your Steve Stricker and if your having the flag held it`s 50/50 that your partner is already standing on the line of your next putt.

I agree with both thoughts. I think that it certainly CAN happen, but in my opinion this has to do more with some dated rules when spikes punctured grass. Granted the new spikes can tear up greens too, but they are being walked on all day every day. Unless you play first and are the first after the rollers come out, I do not see it affecting people.

I agree that the greens are walked on all day by the soft spikes....however, if a playing partner steps on your line and there is some moisture in the ground/grass you will notice a difference...imo it takes about 3-5 minutes for the grass to spring back to what it was. So still feel it is very important to watch each others lines.

That said, i had never heard of the through ball line. I will give consideration within a few feet of the hole in future. Although, with the not stepping within 2 feet of the hole....how do you get your ball out or a stubborn flag?? Sometimes you just gotta step close :D

PS: i am also feeling that 5 feet (or more) is a little excesive.....and my putting is often terrible. But if you are that far past the hole the other side, you just gotta suck it up and say "my bad"....cant start murmuring about other players on the line! lol

I agree that the greens are walked on all day by the soft spikes....however, if a playing partner steps on your line and there is some moisture in the ground/grass you will notice a difference...imo it takes about 3-5 minutes for the grass to spring back to what it was.

Wowsa...I never played a green where someone stepping on my line caused an indentation large enough to throw off my putt.3-5 minutes for the grass to return ....seems like bad science to me..... sorry

Life is too short. What about the group that just putted out ahead of you?

I agree that the greens are walked on all day by the soft spikes....however, if a playing partner steps on your line and there is some moisture in the ground/grass you will notice a difference...imo it takes about 3-5 minutes for the grass to spring back to what it was. So still feel it is very important to watch each others lines.

That said, i had never heard of the through ball line. I will give consideration within a few feet of the hole in future. Although, with the not stepping within 2 feet of the hole....how do you get your ball out or a stubborn flag?? Sometimes you just gotta step close :D

PS: i am also feeling that 5 feet (or more) is a little excesive.....and my putting is often terrible. But if you are that far past the hole the other side, you just gotta suck it up and say "my bad"....cant start murmuring about other players on the line! lol

This depends totally on how the greens are maintained. A lot of courses seem to unnecessarily over water the greens, which can make the turf spongy and in that case most players will leave an impression which takes a while to rebound. I find this to be less and less of a problem as more courses develop more eco friendly watering policies. Most modern turf varieties don't need to be watered like a swamp to stay healthy... in fact just the opposite is true.

Then too, if the greens are rolled, there isn't much to press down... that is already done in the rolling process. Proper mowing, rolling and reasonable irrigation will go far to mitigate the impressions left by walking on the putting surface. I can be in the first group out in the morning on my home course and even my 280 pounds won't leave much of an impression, and that's just an hour or 2 after the greens are watered.

This was more of a problem when golf shoes had steel spikes but with the new soft spike technology it is less of a problem for most. Players have to be conscious of not dragging their feet and if damage is done, repair it. I guess some PGA players still play with steel spikes and have to be extra careful but for the most part it isn't an issue for the groups I play with. We do however avoid stepping on players lines of putt including a reasonable pass thru portion as etiquette rules. Avoid this problem.....make the putt :D

Wowsa...I never played a green where someone stepping on my line caused an indentation large enough to throw off my putt.3-5 minutes for the grass to return ....seems like bad science to me..... sorry

Welcome to England, soaking wet and dew like no other...

....the greens at my course are some of the best maintained in the area. They are rolled etc.... Just with the amount of rainfall and slight mossy texture that the greens all around this area have (not actual mos....just seems to describe it best), they seem to have that spring until the sun has burned it out of em In summer it is gone by noon. But i play most of my rounds between 8 and noon....so still there when i play. Its just summit for us to be aware of when playing....not really a problem, and thinking on it, i would say morelike 3 mins max to spring back. - I have never had to worry about cleat marks from a previous group.

Back