How many computers?

Smallville

#ICanHitADraw
Reaction score
Handicap
In Flux
My new issue of Smart Computing has an article on The Single PC Home. This kind of made me laugh a little because my wife doesn't even have a single PC DESK! In fact in our household of two people, we have four computers. Three desktops and one laptop. When we get another desktop, we'll have five total because we will turn the one we replace into a fileserver.

Got me to wondering how other people compare, not so much how many you have, but more along the lines of how many users per computer or how many computers per user. Bigger families might have a bunch of computers but the kids might have to share one or several. Do you have just laptops, just desktops or a combination? A lot of people use their phones to surf the web, but what about for other chores and/or assignments?

If you're in a household with less computers than users, how do you allocate the time to use it and how often does it become an issue?

EDIT: Who does the maintenance on the computers in the household? One person? Or does everyone take care of their own? I take care of maintaining all 4 computers.

Last edited:
We have 3 total for 3.5 users (me and Mom, 14yr old, and 9yr old, but the 9yr old isn't on that much). We have a community desktop, the 14yr has a desktop in his room, and we just got a netbook.

Right now we have 1 laptop and 1 desktop for 4 users, if you count the 6 y.o. I'm pretty much the only one that uses the laptop, the desk is for my wife and the girls. My oldest daughter is probably getting a laptop for her birthday.

I really need to figure out how to network the printer because right now I can't print from the laptop.

EDIT: If by "maintenance" you mean looking at the monitor and asking "WTF did you do?" that would be me. LMAO As far as defrag and virus scans they are set up to do automatically.

Last edited:
We have 5. 3 PCs, and 2 LTs. My wife has a PC for her job. I have a PC for my money making hobby, and another one for fooling around with, which I am on now. One LT is our regular one we use when on the road, and the other is one, we keep info in for use at a later date. These are the ones we use. I also have 3 more in the garage that are obsolete, but could still be used in a pinch I suppose.

GG and I have 4.
Mac Desktop
Her PC Laptop
And we each have a Netbook.

I use a laptop that is docked, my wife uses a laptop that is docked, my son has a laptop, got the wife a netbook for Xmas last week, and I have a server I use for storage mainly. Actually overkill as it used to run 2 businesses, raid, dual xenon chips, etc. I have a BB Bold 9700, my wife uses a Iphone and we have 3 itouch ipods. Then we have 3 DVRs, AVR, BD player and the Wii hooked up to the network also. Works out great as our house is wired for dual network, cable and phones in every room with multiple locations in the bigger rooms.

2 users - 2 desktops and 1 laptop. Only one of the desktops is still hooked up, and it is rarely used since we got the laptop. We each also have Blackberry Pearls with internet access, the Wii with internet access, and my wife also has an iPod Touch that she uses to browse the web at times.

We have two PCs - one desktop and one laptop. I'm the only user for the laptop, my wife and sons use the desktop.

Re:How many computers?

I have a 7 year old laptop and my Droid for my personal use. At work I have a workstation and ruggedized tablet pc.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

3. 2 laptops and a desktop that doubles as a HTPC.

It should be noted that my wife and I have our own desktop computers. She works from home so that is why she has two computers at her desk (2 PC's, one monitor, one keyboard and one mouse as they are connected with a KVM switch). The laptop is supposed to be for when we go out of town but she uses it upstairs at night because if she is at her desk she will work instead!

My wife and I have 2 computers, 1 desktop and 1 laptop, both shared. I take care of the maintenance. It's not a problem.

Last edited:
Who takes care of maintaining the computers in the house? One person or does everyone take care of their own? I am in charge of maintenance at my house.

(First post edited with this question)

Who takes care of maintaining the computers in the house? One person or does everyone take care of their own? I am in charge of maintenance at my house.

(First post edited with this question)

Me. If I don't do it it doesn't get done. My wife got quite a nasty virus about a mo ago and I had to do a clean install of Vista on her CPU.

We just have two, desktop and laptop. The laptop gets a real workout. I do the little things, not sure I'd quantify it as maintenance.

We have two Coleco Adam computers for running the the Google on the Internet, and a nice TI calculator for balancing our check book.

We're set for years. :D

Kevin

At home? I have a laptop. Hubby has a desktop and a laptop that he only uses for travel. We also have a CPU that backs up our office, so we can recreate it from home if we need to.

The kids share an old desktop, because The Kid is forever downloading viruses.

We're lazy--because we do a lot of work from home, our office IT guy does the heavy lifting. I do the minor stuff. As technically deficient as I am, I'm a lot better than Hubby.

In my house we have 2 users and we have 1 laptop and 1 desktop. The laptop doesn't get used much because it's a POS. The hinges on the screen are shot and you have to have it at a perfect 90* angle or it will flop one way or the other. Plus it's very slow. I use/maintain the computers the most. My wife will check the bank account or look at Vera Bradley purses but that's about all she will use the computer for. I will cruise THP on the weekends from the desktop mostly but occasionally I will take the laptop downstairs if there is golf or maybe a football game on that I want to watch. We'll be switching cell phone service in February/March so I'll probably get a BB or an Iphone that I will be cruising the internet on.

We have 4 I think.

Home built desktop by the TV mainly used to bittorrent TV shows and watch Netflix on the TV.
Crappy desktop that no one uses much anymore.
2 laptops.

There are 4 computers in the house. Desktop w/ 24" monitor for TV and DVDs in the living room (plus torrents, etc), wife has a MacBook and I have a MacBook Pro. Then there is a server doing MythTV duties on linux and serving up web apps for my little IT consulting company. I also have a 1TB NAS device on the network so technically that is running linux as well.

I'd have more, but I'm sure my wife would have a fit and my energy costs would go through the roof.

I've got a laptop and a desktop that I use mainly as an external hard drive and backup center

As JB said we have four. He does all the tech work because I am completely clueless when it comes to anything technology. I just learned to use the DVD player.

Me and my wife, a 6 year old and a 4 year old. We have a total of two desktops, two non working laptops(spare parts) and four working laptops. I have a MAC for SSB, a netbook, and a Dell laptop(currently docked) for my day job. My Wife has a laptop as well. So 6 working for four people, plus two non working desktops..

Also have a NAS sever at the day job and one at home, both running RAID with dual hard drives. I worked in network management and technology for quite some time before I came to the beach, and will be back in technology sometime next year or making putters full time.

Plus my blackberry and my wife's android phones.

We have 4.
Macbook Pro
My desktop PC
Latop
And I just got a netbook that I have mixed emotions about.

Well all I have is seven.The son has one and I have six.I have one set up for DOS and all those old games as well as one with Win 98 for those games too.The rest are all XP.Looks like I'll have to build another cause it's been a couple of years and technology has passed me by.

Back