My little Putter dilema.

TheGasman

I Like to Party
Reaction score
Handicap
My girlfriend bought me a Scotty Cameron for X Mas. While I am very grateful for the present, Im not really feeling it at all. She was very excited to give me the putter and Im not sure if I have the heart to tell her I dont like it.
Do I:
a) Return it and pick up a new putter that suits me
b) Keep it in the bag and tough it out for a few months
c) Keep it in the bag and the Seemore in the truck and swap it out in the parking lot of the course

Moved to Golf Clubs TGM, because this is a great club question.

option C man. that way everyone's a winner. then maybe a few months down the road you can off the cameron and she probably wouldn't notice.

I vote A or C. Honesty is always the best policy but sometimes it's hard when you are afraid to really hurt someone's feelings. Hmm...is she a pretty understanding person? If so then I would tell her and go to the store and switch it for something else. If she is really sensitive then I say definitely C and switch it out when you get to the course.

I will pick none of the above and say you trade it in for a ladies putter and get her into the game. If that is not an option just explain that you have so much love for her and did not want to hurt her feelings, but that you are in love with the putter you have and would rather use that for something that might help your game more. I am sure she will love the honesty.

My girlfriend bought me a Scotty Cameron for X Mas. While I am very grateful for the present, Im not really feeling it at all. She was very excited to give me the putter and Im not sure if I have the heart to tell her I dont like it.
Do I:
a) Return it and pick up a new putter that suits me
b) Keep it in the bag and tough it out for a few months
c) Keep it in the bag and the Seemore in the truck and swap it out in the parking lot of the course
(A) Be honest with her and tell her that although you love the club, the style does not suit you and you would like to return it for something different.

My wife has stopped buying me golf equipment unless she knows the exact specs that I want, if she doesn't she gets me a gift card to GG so I can pick it out myself. Never caused any hard feelings between us.

I've lied about getting bad gifts in the past and I shouldn't have. An ex girlfriend, about 15 years ago, got me Chip Beck signature shorts equipped with tee and scorecard holder. I did not have the heart to tell her I would never wear them and instead shoved them in the back of my closet. She was more upset I did not exchange them for something else that I would have used. Since then, I have done what I mentioned above.

Good luck and what an awesome gift.

I vote A or C. Honesty is always the best policy but sometimes it's hard when you are afraid to really hurt someone's feelings. Hmm...is she a pretty understanding person? If so then I would tell her and go to the store and switch it for something else. If she is really sensitive then I say definitely C and switch it out when you get to the course.
Well said!

I would go with C. Who knows, down the road you might start liking the new putter.

That's a tough one Gasman, if it were me I would take it and exchange it for something that you really want. I've been married for 16 years though so my opinion might be skewed a bit. I know that 9 times out of 10 whatever I get for my wife will be wrong so I'm okay with it, same thing goes when she buys something for me. It's always close to what I wanted but not exactly.

Sounds like a good problem to have to me... First of all, I would kiss my girlfriend... and then I would ask her mom what you should do. That's what I always do when I don't know what to do with my girlfriend (and now you have someone else you can blame if it blows up in your face).

Putting is all about confidence. At some point you may want to use the putter due to lack of confidence in your Seemore. Just keep it and you might want to give it a try at some point but practice with it a few months to see if you ever gain any confidence with it.

What made her pick a scotty? If shes the understanding type, which you should know, then Id go with A. But if shes the other type and will be heartbroken, mad or any other harmful to your health reaction then Id go with C. No matter what you choose most likely it will be the wrong choice lol. Its just the nature of the beast.

Gasman - How do you think she would respond if you gently told her that while you love the thought and it was a wonderful gift - the putter isn't the one for you? If she would get mad - then C is best. If she's understanding and loves you, then I choose D - ask her to go with you to exchange the putter for a different one so you can show her exactly why putters are so personal.

Gasman - How do you think she would respond if you gently told her that while you love the thought and it was a wonderful gift - the putter isn't the one for you? If she would get mad - then C is best. If she's understanding and loves you, then I choose D - ask her to go with you to exchange the putter for a different one so you can show her exactly why putters are so personal.

Looks like you're learning from Fourputt on answering a multiple choice question Diane! hehehe :D (No offense!)

I vote A. She did technically give you a putter even though you returned it and got a different one, she still payed for it. So she is still helping you out. It's like getting the wrong size sweater for christmas.. are you gonna wear it uncomfortable or would you return it?

I vote A. She did technically give you a putter even though you returned it and got a different one, she still payed for it. So she is still helping you out. It's like getting the wrong size sweater for christmas.. are you gonna wear it uncomfortable or would you return it?

Out of the mouths of babes . . .

Don't be offended Dent. You make a lot of sense.

I like JB's answer. Trade it in, throw in a couple bucks and buy her a set of Cleveland Blooms, or Adams, something along those lines. Mrs. Esox plays a set of Adams, Lady Fairway or something like that, that was around $500. Irons, woods, a nice cart type bag, unfortunately a solid golf game didn't come with, but that's why I have her hit balls until her hands bleed. Golf balls that is.

Kevin

I would imagine an understanding gift giver should be OK with you wanting a different putter, and really with the world of options available it'd be way more likely to have the wrong one picked as a gift than the right one

with that much money being spent on a gift, I would imagine that she really wanted you to like the present she got you, and if it's an easy swap to trade that scotty in for a different putter you like better then that's what should happen

honesty is a good policy, and the situation explained to her properly will also help prevent future awkward golf presents that just aren't quite right.

If she is not interested in playing the game then I go with A after a careful explanation as to why you need to return it. Make sure she understands how much you appreciate the thoughtfulness of the gift. And, as Dent said whatever you get upon the return she technically did buy it for you and thank her yet again.

Looks like you're learning from Fourputt on answering a multiple choice question Diane! hehehe :D (No offense!)

:laughing:

But if she is at all understanding, she will not be hurt if you explain the extremely personal nature of putters. Then again, I realize all too well what a touchy situation this can be.

I had a similar issue a few years ago when my wife gave me a set of knives. They were expensive, but not what I'd have chosen had I been consulted (we could have done better for less money). I'm still using them (I don't dare NOT use them), but I have a couple of Wusthof knives that I mostly hide in a drawer and use for a lot of my cooking prep. I still use the CutCo ones she gave me for certain things, but except for the 10" chef's knife they are more like Ginsu knives, and not the sort that a real cook has much use for. :rolleyes:

I will pick none of the above and say you trade it in for a ladies putter and get her into the game. If that is not an option just explain that you have so much love for her and did not want to hurt her feelings, but that you are in love with the putter you have and would rather use that for something that might help your game more. I am sure she will love the honesty.

I would imagine an understanding gift giver should be OK with you wanting a different putter, and really with the world of options available it'd be way more likely to have the wrong one picked as a gift than the right one

with that much money being spent on a gift, I would imagine that she really wanted you to like the present she got you, and if it's an easy swap to trade that scotty in for a different putter you like better then that's what should happen

honesty is a good policy, and the situation explained to her properly will also help prevent future awkward golf presents that just aren't quite right.

All great advice, but I think that Lefty's last sentence is right on the mark. If you avoid telling the truth, this awkward situation will happen again.

I just told her as she walked in the door. She said "oh,ok". I guess it wasnt too big of a deal. Thanks for all of the replies, I usually always hang on to presents I dont like and never use them, but this one was too expensive.
I think im going to go check out some more belly putters this week.

Let us know what you go with.

Let us know what you go with.

Will do, im leaning toward another Seemore. Probably the m3 belly putter. Well see though, im going to call them next week.

That is the one I am leaning towards as well. Unless I can get an M8 done that way. Tell them you are from THP and they will take good care of you. They love the site and love the members here.

Back