Official College Football Thread (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I picked my games scientifically.

First, I picked all of the favorites. Then for confidence I arranged the bar graphs to where it was almost all on one side as my high point games, and the ones that were 50-50 my low point games!

I picked my games the lazy way, picked the teams I thought would win and didn't rearrange for confidence points except for the Big game. I'm second to last in PPR, so I'm screwed. LOL

The end of the NW and Auburn game was just crazy, Northwestern had every chance imaginable to tie it up again or win it outright.

It's been a weird bowl season so far - #25 Wisconsin beats #15 Miami, #13 Penn State beats #12 LSU, and #8 Ohio State beats #7 Oregon. So far the Big 10 teams that finished the season in the Top 25 have all won their bowl games - depending on Iowa it could be a sweep. When was the last time the ranked Big 10 teams performed that well?

Also, Northwestern managed to lose to Auburn, and Minnesota lost to Iowa State (in the "How the hell did we get into a bowl game" Bowl). :D

Depending on the outcome of the Iowa & Michigan State games, they could come out pretty decent in the conference W/L compared to recent years!

This Sugar Bowl could get ugly fast if Cincy cannot move the ball. The difference in speed especially on defense looks staggering early in this game. We will see how the rest plays out.

It looks like Cincinnati is just overmatched, fine with me, I'm not going to get to watch it all anyway.

So that was the champion of a smaller conference and a top 5 school going up against UF huh? That was pathetic. That small, undersized, and slower school had absolutely NO shot from the opening kickoff. It looked no different than when they played the Charleston Southern's of the world.

So that was the champion of a smaller conference and a top 5 school going up against UF huh? That was pathetic. That small, undersized, and slower school had absolutely NO shot from the opening kickoff. It looked no different than when they played the Charleston Southern's of the world.

Maybe if they stop putting so many cupcakes on their schedule like Charleston Southern they would not of had such a bad time when it came time to play a real school like Alabama and would not of got their butts whooped. Then they could of played another big school for a chance at a championship but alas it was not to be. :D

Maybe if they stop putting so many cupcakes on their schedule like Charleston Southern they would not of had such a bad time when it came time to play a real school like Alabama and would not of got their butts whooped. Then they could of played another big school for a chance at a championship but alas it was not to be. :D

I agree with you completely. I mean they play FSU, outside of schedule and that is it. Their conference schedule is of course SEC so that is hard. Man I hate the Gators. But that team was good last night. They beat another top 5 school and it was not even close. The smaller conference like the Big East just had no chance.

This is what college football is unfortunately. Teams schedule as many cupcakes as they can, build up. Some 10-3, 11-1, even 12-0 are not really that good versus the better programs. I am not sure what can be done but something needs to be done. And dont get me started on the bowl system as a whole. :at-wits-end:

Agreed...I am an Alabama fan...and SEC fan, but the only reason I watched that game was that there was nothing else to do with my beer and pretzels...:beat-up:

This is what college football is unfortunately. Teams schedule as many cupcakes as they can, build up. Some 10-3, 11-1, even 12-0 are not really that good versus the better programs. I am not sure what can be done but something needs to be done. And dont get me started on the bowl system as a whole. :at-wits-end:

There are pages of it unfortunately. You are right, it is a flawed system. Unfortunately. This goes for the big schools and the small schools though. I mean Cincy was a top 5 school. Winning their conference. Undefeated and they got flat out spanked. This game was over in the 1st quarter.

Boise, TCU, Cincy, Utah, each and every year there are more and more of these teams that go undefeated all year and it is extremely hard to gauge how good they really are. Last night showed that the Big East is a long way away from the SEC or Big 12 in my opinion.

Your not kidding. I watched that whole game and Tibo just put on a show. The whole Florida team did. Cincinnati had no chance at all.

Overall the SEC doesn't have as good a record in bowl games this year as you would expect, at 3-3. I was shocked that Northwestern made such a close game of it against Auburn, that could easily have been a loss. The most surprising so far has to be Navy winning their bowl game. Too bad the Fiesta Bowl didn't pick Cinci then you would have had Florida/ TCU and Cinci/Boise which would have both been better games in my opinion.

I actually picked against both Navy and Air Force and they both won. Then I picked WV yesterday. Im doing real well.

Overall the SEC doesn't have as good a record in bowl games this year as you would expect, at 3-3. I was shocked that Northwestern made such a close game of it against Auburn, that could easily have been a loss. The most surprising so far has to be Navy winning their bowl game. Too bad the Fiesta Bowl didn't pick Cinci then you would have had Florida/ TCU and Cinci/Boise which would have both been better games in my opinion.

UF was on a mission. No WAY would any of those smaller schools had a chance in my opinion. The top of the SEC is loaded with them and Alabama and an undefeated team from a smaller conference got a chance. They got blasted.

This is what people wanted. A smaller undefeated program against a SEC or Big 12 top team. We saw the results. Now we will here that Cincy was not as good as TCU or Boise. Its the same every year. Who knows the answer. My money goes on the big schools to have more speed and talent most of the time.

I actually picked against both Navy and Air Force and they both won. Then I picked WV yesterday. Im doing real well.

I thought Air Force had a chance because of their pass defense, good defense usually beats good offense. Navy really surprised me. I thought they were all run and no pass and they made some big plays downfield in that game. FSU is not as bad as their record indicates and they were all jacked up for the retirement. I wonder if Meyer played the chest pain-retirement/unretirement thing to motivate his guys for that game - it worked if he did. I am going to watch the UA All America high school game today, that is always interesting.

The most surprising so far has to be Navy winning their bowl game.

I didn't think this was much of a surprise. Mizzou was middle of the road at best in the Big 12 North. Navy is a solid team, and the triple option is difficult to defend if you don't see it regularly. Just look at what Paul Johnson has done at GA Tech since leaving Navy. Navy was competitive in most games this year, losing to Ohio State by 4, losing to Pitt, beating Wake Forest, and beating Notre Dame.

I thought Air Force had a chance because of their pass defense, good defense usually beats good offense. Navy really surprised me. I thought they were all run and no pass and they made some big plays downfield in that game. FSU is not as bad as their record indicates and they were all jacked up for the retirement. I wonder if Meyer played the chest pain-retirement/unretirement thing to motivate his guys for that game - it worked if he did. I am going to watch the UA All America high school game today, that is always interesting.

I didn't think this was much of a surprise. Mizzou was middle of the road at best in the Big 12 North. Navy is a solid team, and the triple option is difficult to defend if you don't see it regularly. Just look at what Paul Johnson has done at GA Tech since leaving Navy. Navy was competitive in most games this year, losing to Ohio State by 4, losing to Pitt, beating Wake Forest, and beating Notre Dame.

Im with you cwill. Mizzou was average at best.

As for FSU. I am guessing you did not see many of their games. I mean Jacksonville St had them beat until the very end. They are a BAD team this year by FSU standards. They were in a very weak ACC and still lost 5-6 games. This again goes to show the talent on these larger programs though. Because they put a beat down on BYU.

UF was on a mission. No WAY would any of those smaller schools had a chance in my opinion. The top of the SEC is loaded with them and Alabama and an undefeated team from a smaller conference got a chance. They got blasted.

This is what people wanted. A smaller undefeated program against a SEC or Big 12 top team. We saw the results. Now we will here that Cincy was not as good as TCU or Boise. Its the same every year. Who knows the answer. My money goes on the big schools to have more speed and talent most of the time.

I watched Cinci play and I wasn't impressed with them at all. The Big East is just not that good and high rated (top 20) teams out of the Big East have failed to do anything in the past given the chance against decent competition in a bowl game. I think if Patterson stays at TCU, which he is saying he will, and if rumors are true that the Big 12 is thinking of changing the conference lineup by dropping and adding some teams they could be one of the teams added to the Big 12 next year.

I really dont like how spread out all the Bowl games are now. Atleast it SEEMS like they are more spread out. Is there a good game on today I have no idea...

Is there still a Cotton Bowl played at the Cotton Bowl?!?! Now that they've built the new Cowboy Stadium, will Texas and Oklahoma now play there instead of the Cotton Bowl?

Also, from now on will the BCS be played at later date? How this year the BCS is at the Rose Bowl, but they will have a Rose Bowl game and a BCS game at the Rose Bowl?

Is there still a Cotton Bowl played at the Cotton Bowl?!?! Now that they've built the new Cowboy Stadium, will Texas and Oklahoma now play there instead of the Cotton Bowl?

Also, from now on will the BCS be played at later date? How this year the BCS is at the Rose Bowl, but they will have a Rose Bowl game and a BCS game at the Rose Bowl?

Cotton Bowl is still the Cotton Bowl, but now played at Cowboy Stadium.

Rose Bowl is still Pac-10 champ vs. Big 10 champ, but the Rose Bowl came up in the national championship game rotation this year, so that means it has two games.

Not sure about the first part of the question, but the BCS Bowl is always played after the other 4 "Major" Bowl Games (Sugar, Rose, Fiesta, Orange). The location of the BCS Bowl changes annually, rotating through sites that host the Sugar, Rose, Fiesta, and Orange Bowls.

I guess this can officially put to bed once again the talk of all the small schools out there with the exception of Boise St (who plays nobody all year but everybody knows can compete). Cincy wanted to be #1 and got destroyed. TCU wanted to be #1 and got beat and they looked overmatched all night. The two best teams are playing for the National title game.

Its the same year in and year out and once again it worked out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back