Taylormade R9 Irons

I have just sent an email to TM about this. They are closed until Monday, but will respond soon. Pre-Release samples have different etchings than that of released clubs, but I do not think that is it since my irons are pre-release and do not have this.

Thanks JB! Can't wait to hear what it is/means.

Do these R9 irons have the loft etched into the iron head?

The reason I ask is because I was looking at my R9 6 iron earlier (holding it with the head to the left, grip to the right, and cavity facing me, so the taylormade on the neck reads properly left to right), and I noticed a small number "21" etched into the neck just above, and to the right of the taylormade name (if you follow the lead edge of the club all the way back to the black ferrule the number is just before the ferrule)

Does anyone know what that number is? Means? It CAN'T be loft right? 21* for a 6 iron?

that's weird I have the R9 TPs but I checked them I don't have anything on my 6 iron. on my 7 iron I do have my clubs serial number above where TM is written.

Good luck with whatever you decide and the reason I said hit them outside is a personal reason...I never seem to hit good in the booth at my local Edwin Watts...maybe because I am 6'4 and I feel like the top is too close or because I feel like I am hitting into a wall (the screen 15 feet in front of me)??? Anyway I always like to validate what I see on the launch monitor (ball flight etc...) when hitting off of actual grass. The grass doesn't lie..Ha! Ha! Not sure where you live so that you cannot hit outside right now...bummer...but if you can wait I think that hitting off real grass can tell you many things about how an iron will and can perform...again this is my personal opinion...good luck and let us know if you decide to join the R9 family...:thumb:

I live in Northwest Ohio so thats why I can't get outside to hit them. I would love to hit these outside but I don't know any place around that I can demo them and hit outside. Golf Galaxy and Dicks is about the only places I know that I can even hit any club I want. I will be sure to let you know if I become a member of the R9 family.

that's weird I have the R9 TPs but I checked them I don't have anything on my 6 iron. on my 7 iron I do have my clubs serial number above where TM is written.

Yeah I have no idea, no one else seems to know either. It was nice of JB to check with TaylorMade to see what it is. Hopefully we'll know soon. He said they'll be back Monday.

Last edited:
I would think that adjusting them 2 degrees would not hurt them....:thumb:

I was told by Golf Galaxy that because they were cast, they wouldn't retain the loft adjustment....they said the "memory" just wasn't there with cast irons....

I said, well then why would want to charge me $5 each to bend them if it isn't going to do any good?

Re:THP Breaking News - Taylormade R9 Irons

Re:THP Breaking News - Taylormade R9 Irons

that is not correct

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Nothing etched on the R9's I have here but the SN on the 7 iron.

i ordered the R9`s yesterday 4-PW + GW (i own a 56° + 60° cleveland cg14) i m totally excited getting the r9s. and my wife is totally proud of me since i bought a new set of clubs last year in july already.
THP converted my to Taylomade, so my wife is proud of you thp fellows too. :D

Can't wait to hear what the mystery of the etched 21 is. :joy:

Can't wait to hear what the mystery of the etched 21 is. :joy:

On the phone with Taylormade right now and they have no idea what it is. This is the tour dept we are speaking with and the first thing they asked is where did the club come from? Authorized seller?

The reason they ask is because only 7 irons in the new line according to them have any numbers on them. Sales samples will have other etchings, but normally will say Sample next to a number or in most cases a letter such as Sample A, B, C, or D.

On the phone with Taylormade right now and they have no idea what it is. This is the tour dept we are speaking with and the first thing they asked is where did the club come from? Authorized seller?

The reason they ask is because only 7 irons in the new line according to them have any numbers on them. Sales samples will have other etchings, but normally will say Sample next to a number or in most cases a letter such as Sample A, B, C, or D.

Hi yes JB authorized seller. I can tell you exactly in private PM. I'll do it now.

Hi yes JB authorized seller. I can tell you exactly in private PM. I'll do it now.

Actually he is not an authorized seller according to TM. Thank you for that information. However that does NOT mean that the club is not legit. In fact according to TM just now, the #21 can stand for an internal marketing code that was decided to be reused this year. They are unsure how this club ended up on ebay since it is simply a non-retail product sample, but it should be legit.

In the future they recommend checking to make sure the item is a retail or tour model rather than product sample.

Does anyone know the exact specs of the steel shafts offered in the R9? I looked on their website and could not find anything. If they are KBS Tour 90 shafts then the specs would be as follows:

Regular - 95g - .355" Tapered
Stiff - 100g - .355" Tapered

However, I got KBS wedge shafts (.355" Tapered) for Xmas and thought about putting one of them into my R9 PW to see how they played but when we pulled the head off, the shafts look like they are .370" Parallel shafts??? Thanks for any data you can provide...:thumb:

JB,

Did you get an answer to this question from TM? Thanks.

Last edited:
JB,

Did you get an answer to this question for TM? Thanks.

As soon as Lets Make a Deal is over in the contest section I will get the info for you.

Do you mean like the KBS wedge shafts?

No he means the shafts that Rory S is playing in his irons. He asked about them last year.

No he means the shafts that Rory S is playing in his irons. He asked about them last year.

Oh! I have not seen them...I assume they are KBS Tour shafts (in black?)

I have the KBS black nickel wedge shafts and they are sweet looking...:thumb:

Actually he is not an authorized seller according to TM. Thank you for that information. However that does NOT mean that the club is not legit. In fact according to TM just now, the #21 can stand for an internal marketing code that was decided to be reused this year. They are unsure how this club ended up on ebay since it is simply a non-retail product sample, but it should be legit.

In the future they recommend checking to make sure the item is a retail or tour model rather than product sample.

Thanks JB. I'm thinking it's more likely than not legitimate if the 21 is a TM internal code. Well done!

Very different clubs.

The feel is completely different. Softer and a little more feedback is given to that of the Burners.

The ball flight for me is slightly lower on the R9s. A little more penetrating than that of the Burners.

While the R9s are extremely forgiving, they are not as forgiving as the Burners. In my opinion few irons are as forgiving in that category.

correct correct - same for me

_YYAAAYY_

ordered my R9s a week ago, i hit the X-22s, titleist forged, cobra zi, and found the R9 by far the most forgiving and also giving the same distance as the forged irons.
These are my first new clubs in 5 years and i can't believe the difference, also can't believe a have to wait 2 more weeks for them to arrive from the USA.

standard lie and kbs S shafts.....PSYCHED!!!!!!

swing speed is 93-97mph
regularly got the r9 5 iron flying 185yds - even on mishits they were flying 160 and only drawing/fading 20yds max......

anyway - bit of info for other golf nerds like me!!:alien2:

R9 irons

R9 irons

Just played first 9 yesterday with the R9s and it was the first time i have ever broken 50 and I still managed to have 4 three putts. These are amazing clubs. Very forgiving - much more so than my old x22s.

My new R9's are on order.......

+3/4, 2 deg. upright, KBS Stiff, GP New Decade Multicompound RED

I'm about to explode waiting for them to get here. Good thing it's January.

r9

r9

My new R9's are on order.......

+3/4, 2 deg. upright, KBS Stiff, GP New Decade Multicompound RED

I'm about to explode waiting for them to get here. Good thing it's January.

After more testing , I am very close to ordering the r9's . How much was the up charge for the new decades?

Thanks L57

Back