Classic question: what driver would fit me best?

Kebel

From snowbank land :/
Reaction score
Handicap
TBD
Hello everyone,

First of all, Please excuse my english since my mother language is french and i'm typing on an iPad.

Classic question here. I need your advice on what drivers would best fit my swing. I would greatly appreciate your input.

My club speed is between 100-112 mph, most of the time at 105 mph.
Distance avg. 270-285
Launch angle about 13* (tested with Nike VR str8 fit, 9,5* and stiff shaft)
Backspin at 3300-3700
I have a slight push

I feel i need forgiveness and Power (like everyone else i assume...)

There's no budget concern.. I just don't want to pay over 600$.

Apart from telling me what driver i should look into, do you have any advice on how to choose the right one?

Thx

I used to think it was all about specs...

Suddenly, that opinion has changed in a big way. I think you need to find a range that has a variety of demo drivers, and run through them. Go after whichever one looks(in air)/feels/reacts to your swing..

I used to think it was all about specs...

Suddenly, that opinion has changed in a big way. I think you need to find a range that has a variety of demo drivers, and run through them. Go after whichever one looks(in air)/feels/reacts to your swing..

Yeah trust me, i wish i could. Unfortunately, it's not existing in my town. We have snow 6 months a year, the golf shops have simulators inside but they're not close to a driving range.

Yeah trust me, i wish i could. Unfortunately, it's not existing in my town. We have snow 6 months a year, the golf shops have simulators inside but they're not close to a driving range.

I'd trust a launch monitor before I trusted what happens in a simulator, but that's just me. I went with the r9 because it gave me the opportunity to customize depending on where my swing was trending once I got it on the course.

Do you like the look and feel of the Nike? If I was hitting the Nike VR str8 fit, 9.5* 280 yards with 13* launch (just about perfect) 3300 RPM back-spin (a little high, but not terrible) I'd buy that club if it felt good and I liked the way it set up. It sounds like a pretty good fit with that shaft, but maybe custom order it with a shaft that will reduce the backspin a bit. Any good clubfitter should be able to help you with that.

You have the same problem I do, the backspin is about 1200 RPM too high, otherwise as NFender stated your numbers look good. You will eventually just have to get a lower torque shaft (Atleast this has been told to me) to cure the backspin problem. Do your shots fly true for about 200 yards then start to balloon and fall to the right?

You have the same problem I do, the backspin is about 1200 RPM too high, otherwise as NFender stated your numbers look good. You will eventually just have to get a lower torque shaft (Atleast this has been told to me) to cure the backspin problem. Do your shots fly true for about 200 yards then start to balloon and fall to the right?

It is not just about the torque. I urge you to check out the THP Radio show we did with Tim Gillis from Miyazaki. In fact he has done 2 shows and both have been informative. In the Spring issue of the magazine, he spoke about torque and many other buzz words involving shafts.

Thanks for the info. Does it mean optimal backspin is about 2000 rpm? Regarding my ball flight, it's actually doing something weird. I wrote slight push, but to be more accurate, it's like if it was launched by someone hitting 5 yards next to me. Ball flight is straight and I don't see nor feel any derivation... The ball just fly and land 5 yards right to what would have been a perfectly straight shot. Split second after hitting the ball I feel it's on my right but no sign of movement after that. Do you know why I get that feeling? Someone told me it might be caused by my reg shaft being too flexible for my swing speed.

Thanks JB for the hint. I'll sure look into that.

The card I got from BStone at my fitting told me for my 117 mph avg swing that 2262 RPM was optimum backspin.

Like several others have said, there are a lot of ways you can go with this. It's tough to recommend anything flying blind. You can go with a head you like the feel of and adjust with a shaft to something that would fix the backspin issue - but you may not like the feel of that new shaft. It's tough if you can't hit what you're eventually going to buy.

Several on here know that I'm a big fan of the Bridgestone J38 driver that came out this spring. It fit my game extremely well vs. my Nickent 4DX Tour. It comes with a great stock shaft (Fujikura Motore F1 65g) and the pairing makes for a low spinning club with a lot of forgiveness.

Any idea on what is causing the strange feeling about my ball flight? Can it be my current shaft?

Back