Rules Question - Hitting Aiming/Marker Posts

Dazinkster

Reaction score
Stokenchurch, Bucks, United Kingdom, United Kingdo
Handicap
9.8 CONGU
Right, a playing partner had an interesting scenario come up a few weeks back that I am hoping you guys will be able to help with.

My course has a few blind driving holes, therefore there are big 6ft+ red and white aiming posts at the top of the crests (I'm sure you know the sort). Anyway, my partner teed off and crushed his drive right at this post which was about 180yds ish away. A few seconds later we hear a "clunk" as the ball proceeded to hit this post and bounce sideways and backwards approx. 75-100 yds.

Obviously this was very unlucky, but what is the ruling? At the time he played the hole out and played the ball as it lay. However, was this correct? I'm since thinking that as the aiming post isn't part of the course (i.e. you're allowed to take it out the ground if it obstructs your swing on an approach shot) it might be possible to re-play the tee shot with no penalty. Is this true?

Thanks in advance for your replies

Rub of the green. Tough break. Next time tell him to not be quite so accurate.

Kevin

Not true, Daz. Just like hitting some dude, breaking his rolex and it bouncing several yards back... you play it where it is.

I say Esox and interlooper are correct. In addition, I have always removed the aiming marker if it becomes an obstruction when swinging. But not if the ball hits it because of being unlucky.

Well this depends on how the course rules this. Have played course that have power lines running through them and
if you hit the line you must replay the shot. Not sure about aiming poles but thats a tough break if you have to play
it where it ends up.

tough break for being too accurate

Yep, we thought we we're right at the time. Cheers for the confirmation/responses.

Incedentally on that particular hole I always aim 5 yards right of the marker as I believe its a better line. I think I'll also never aim directly at a marker again, that way if I hit one I'll only have myself to blame as it'll be slightly offline ;)

Well this depends on how the course rules this. Have played course that have power lines running through them and
if you hit the line you must replay the shot. Not sure about aiming poles but thats a tough break if you have to play
it where it ends up.

That is a local rule which is approved only for power lines. Doesn't apply to anything else.

Your friend, and everybody else who has answered, is correct -- it's crummy luck. Just went to USGA's site and looked it up. From Decisions on the Rules of Golf:
19-1/1 Ball Deflected by Direction Post
Q. A ball is deflected by a direction post. What is the ruling?
A. It is a rub of the green and the ball must be played as it lies, without penalty.

The local muni here has got those black and white poles as 150y markers, stuck into the groun right in the middle of the fairway. I watched this old man go full bore right into one with his golf cart. he flew out of his cart atleast 4 feet. Everyone nearby heard the crash and came to his aide. He was OK. What I further remember is watching the greenskeeper put the Pole back into the ground a full 11-12 yards too CLOSE. Kept my mouth quiet and and it's come in handy twice so far with my buddies. :D

Anyways, back to subject, it clearly states on the scorecards if your drive hits that pole you're SOL.
I hit that pole one time and I ended up bogeying the hole and finishing within two strucks of My personal record on that course. Karma's a female dog.

Hitting yardage pole

Hitting yardage pole

I hit a pretty decent drive yesterday that struck the barber's pole in the fairway,what should have been a 120 to 130 yd approach(ball was rolling fast)instead became a 170 yard approach,anybody know the rule for hitting the pole?I just played it where it landed.

Yep, really bad luck, but you just play the ball as it lies.

Yup, you did the right thing, play it as it lies after hitting the pole. If the pole interferes with your shot, you can remove it temporarily (at least every yardage pole I've encountered can be removed).

Rub of the green.

Kevin

The next time you hit a white stake and your ball kicks back into play, all will be well haha!

Bad luck, but good on ya for playing it as it lies.

Play it where it lies. Sucks but If you dont want 2 follow pick it upand throw it forward....hehe just kidding

Yep, just a tough break....a few weeks back I hit a 240 yard three wood into a par 5, ball landed on a sprinkler head on the edge of the green on the fly and proceeded to bounce 50 feet in the air, cleared the green and into the water hazard behind the green. Same difference...you lost 30 - 40 yards, I went from being on in 2 with an eagle putt to a 40 yard pitch shot for birdie and grinding to make par......all just part of the game.

Merged threads.

I haven't hit any aim/yardage posts, but boy have I hit a few red hazard and white OB posts already. I'm still confused how a 2-4 inch post can be hit so many times!

Back