Mizuno MP-53 Irons

thanks for clearing that up JB, i've been trying to figure out why the would release that much in one year? seems that it would really destroy sales, but then again, it's not everwhere that you can just go and pick up a set of mizzie's. and i'm assuming with the advent of the optimizer, they probably sell more sets through custom ordering than they do off of shelves.

It's as if they've second guessed themselves with their releases. Brought out the MXs and then someone up high said 'you know what, that's not the direction we're going in, let's punt the JPX over there too'.

I am absolutely in LOVE with the looks of these irons. I will never be able to play them because my game will never be good enough (I know never say never but in this case I think it's a safe assumption), but they are really sleek looking.

saw and hit the mp 53s today like them alot compared them to the mp 52s . the 53s have a slightly larger head size guess to give alittle more forgivness ...

saw and hit the mp 53s today like them alot compared them to the mp 52s . the 53s have a slightly larger head size guess to give alittle more forgivness ...

I am tempted to take a swing with these just to know what it's like to hit a club this thin. I know better than to play anything but a GI or even SGI but it might be fun to give it a try. They are just so nice looking, I am a bit fan of clean lines.

Give em swing, GG! I'm going to try out some gear that I'm not good enough to play. At least I can say I tried it out :)

I am tempted to take a swing with these just to know what it's like to hit a club this thin. I know better than to play anything but a GI or even SGI but it might be fun to give it a try. They are just so nice looking, I am a bit fan of clean lines.

I am with you on likeing the clean lines of these...go hit them and have fun with it you might be suprised.

I'm never going to be able to pick a new set of irons. Every other day I log onto THP there is a new set of something coming out!

On the other hand, this does mean I could get a set of previous generation Mizuno's on sale soon... hmmm... :)

These are quite forgiving guys. I play off 30+ and I got fitted for these. Granted I've only hit the 6i and only on a monitor, but seriously if you like the look of them, give them a try!

I think Mizuno has released so many iron sets of late because they are making such a concerted effort to fill out the GI side of the iron offerings and are really interested in dominating this newer category, the player’s cavity back.

Mizuno has always had an iron bias as far as their market position is concerned. But in truth that bias has been more about their GE or players irons. It seems to me that Mizuno would like to establish the same market position they enjoy for GE irons for GI irons as well and also be a real market leader in this newer category of “players cavity back irons”. All of those new MX nomenclature GI sets have come in a very condensed period of time.

In the middle of all that they felt compelled to release an iron set based on the titanium insert technology that had been working on and bang you have the MP-58’s (the irons that I currently game).

Where I think they have confused the audience a bit is in the number of cavity back irons they have released using the MP nomenclature. Mizuno has always used the MP nomenclature for their players irons . I guess some of these newer MP irons are designed to fill the gap between true GI irons and players, GE irons and would fall into this new category of player’s cavity back iron that a number of the club makers now offer. However where many of the other guys seem to have one set that fits into this new category of players cavity back, Mizuno seems to be going after this segment in a big way.
I do think Mizuno has done a terrific job of camouflage on their cavity back irons and I think that is why the difference in appearance does in fact seem quite subtle. Starting with the MX300 irons they had gotten away from the colorful inserts in the cavities and now have gone all the way to having irons with cavities designed such that the back of the club looks very much like the backs of many of their players iron sets. I have seen a number of their irons that use that pocket idea and it really does a great job of making a cavity back GI iron looks like a GE iron. The way they designed the metal around the cavity forces you to look down at the club at a very odd angle in order to actually see how they have integrated the pocket idea into the design. You are all the way up to the nine iron before the club head gets so large that the pocket is easily visible.

Of the newer player’s irons that they have released, the MP-68’s look different and are truly beautiful and the MP-58’s are also very attractive but also different because of the titanium insert. I was within a whisker of ordering a mixed set of MP-58 and MP-68 irons but eventually went with all MP-58 irons.

I could see where it might be difficult to choose a new Mizuno iron set without some assistance from a fitter that really knows the line. That fitting system that Mizuno has came along just at the right time since it should point the player to the right iron based on his actual swing characteristics.

JB- do you know when these irons are going to be reviewed (I am sure your waiting list is really long).

A couple places are billing these as being more forgiving than the MX300s. Since I haven't played the 300's I can't really compare them. By looks the 300's should be MUCH more forgiving. I fell in love with these at the outing and I really hope I have the game to play them!

Thanks!

JB- do you know when these irons are going to be reviewed (I am sure your waiting list is really long).

A couple places are billing these as being more forgiving than the MX300s. Since I haven't played the 300's I can't really compare them. By looks the 300's should be MUCH more forgiving. I fell in love with these at the outing and I really hope I have the game to play them!

Thanks!

It will be a couple of weeks.

On Saturday I spent about 2 hours testing out the MP-53 with the "standard" DG shaft in a stiff flex at a local golf store. Mainly, I tested the 3, 7 and PW. I also compared the MP-53 3 with my existing MX-200 3 (with the "standard" IS4 graphite shaft in a regular flex).

I had also utilized the Mizuno DNA swing analyzer and it had recommended that for my personal swing that I use a regular flex with either a graphite shaft or with one of the lighter weight steel shafts.

FYI, I would categorize myself as a high handicapper (stratospheric) with limited course experience but lots of driving range experience, and I am also a student of the PPGS method (which uses a vertical swing).

So I was greatly suprised that as I swung the MP-53 that it actually seemed to give me a better feel for the club and for its position in space, as I swung it. It also, for a better word, smoothed out my swing; possibly a function of the heavier steel shaft allowing me to swing a much more consistent arc on my downswing.

I was able to more consistently hit the ball squarely and solidly than with my MX-200; and the forgiveness between the MP-53 and the MX-200 was very similar too. Additionally, the launch monitor said that with the MP-53 I was actually able to hit one shot 198 yards; when my previous rare best was about 175 yards with my MX-200. My average tends to be about 150 yards.

The feel of the MP-53 was always smooth and soft, even on those shots where I was less than right on in the middle of the sweet spot. My MX-200 felt somewhat "unsure" and a little bit "vague" as I swung it, whereas the MP-53 was the opposite of that.

I walked away from the store totally incredulous and in disbelief of what I had just experienced. There was just no way, in my own mind, that I could logically account for what just happened because in my limited experience none of it made sense. The crux being that my MX-200 set which was supposed to be right for me, was being "outperformed" by a set that would have been "wrong" for me. The MP-53 was logically "wrong" for me because it was 2 or 3 rungs higher above the MX-200, it was targeted for a much better level of golfer than I am, and the shaft should have been too stiff for me. This was also something done indoors against a launch monitor. No way can that experience be replicated in real-life. Can it?

Anyway; after mulling it for a couple of days I decided to pull the trigger. The store gave me a very generous trade in for my MX-200's and I bought in return a set of MP-53's 3-PW with the DG stiff shaft and a Mizuno MP T-11 56 degree loft/10 degree bounce with the DG Spinner shaft.

Last night I was able to get to my local driving range and I was able to confirm the results of the testing that I had conducted at the store.

Those MP-53's are really beautiful looking clubs and their performance for me has been jaw-droppingly fantastically wonderful! :joy:

Congrats on your new clubs Rrhb! Those MP-53s are sooo sweet. :jealous:

congrats on your purchase and thanks for the write up. they are gorgeous clubs for sure! how's about sharing some pics with the rest of us?

Hi TC,

I'll try to remember to post those pics. Do you have any particular view angle in mind?

Hi TC,

I'll try to remember to post those pics. Do you have any particular view angle in mind?

haha, as many as possible! i was fortunate to be able to spend some time with a 6 iron whilst at the fall outing. they really are beautiful.

haha, as many as possible! i was fortunate to be able to spend some time with a 6 iron whilst at the fall outing. they really are beautiful.

TC,
You do realize that the 1st page has a bunch of pics right?

TC,
You do realize that the 1st page has a bunch of pics right?

yep, but i like it when others share their pics, it's different, it creates excitement. i know that there's tons of pics of the 2.0's but you better believe that i'll be posting some.

Those MP-53's are really beautiful looking clubs and their performance for me has been jaw-droppingly fantastically wonderful!
Your post pretty much sums up my experience from hitting these. Ordering mine tomorrow. :smile-big:

I have MP 52s...... Is there a reason to upgrade? Have 2 seasons on them.

I have MP 52s...... Is there a reason to upgrade? Have 2 seasons on them.

Depends if they are working for you or not...haha

To me they are quite different irons. Different weighting both around the perimeter and CG.

^^^those look great! great pics too. thanks for sharing bud.

Your bag looks great Rrhb! :thumb:

Back