Titleist dominates US Amature Club & Ball counts

GopherNut

Reaction score
Handicap
With the US Amature this weekend, we get the rare view into the bags of players who are (supposed to be) free of any endorsements or free equipment from any company. I was a little surprise just how many of the 315 non-paid golfers play Titleist equipment. I completely agree that it is great stuff but was just surprised to see they dominated EVERY category by nearly 2:1 or better in every type of club.

Thoughts on this? Are they all related to the CEO of Acushnet? Since the PGA tour sees TaylorMade Drivers as their #1 used driver, does that mean the R11 & Superfast are clubs for people just that little better? (no), or are is TM offering more money to users of their equipment on tour? (maybe) or are the very best 315 amatures playing equipment because of brand loyalty, sacraficing a better club or fit just because everyone else is (I don't think so).

Titleist

I believe they work with Am programs quite a bit. PING as well.

Have you looked at school and club endorsement deals with some companies?

There are a couple colleges that practice, and play, at the course I work at. Both have endorsement deals with Titleist. A couple of the players actually work for us and have shared just how cheap they get equipment.

Have you looked at school and club endorsement deals with some companies?

Yes, I have had friends go through D1 golf programs and get set up from Driver to Putter with Titleist equipment but in the end, they only used about half of the stuff because they already had a favorite putter, preferred a driver head to another or didn't like the feel of a Vokey wedge. A lot of these guys are playing for a future in professional golf and wouldn't risk it by having to buy a driver or set of irons on their own. Let's face it, golf professionals on tour today came from wealthy families who can afford a new set of clubs for their son if that's what its going to take to allow them to make it.

Let's face it, golf professionals on tour today came from wealthy families who can afford a new set of clubs for their son if that's what its going to take to allow them to make it.

That is a bold generalization that I dont think is fair at all.

There are a couple colleges that practice, and play, at the course I work at. Both have endorsement deals with Titleist. A couple of the players actually work for us and have shared just how cheap they get equipment.

that is nice. I remember when I worked at golf galaxy I was able to use a "players discount" which varied from company to company. The one time I used it I purchased a set of PING i10's 2 weeks after they hit the shelves. My price with that discount was 40% below wholesale, so they came out to being 305 bucks shipped.

I look at these counts the same way I look at tour counts. With a grain of salt. Deals, contracts and endorsements are huge dollars at every level in this day and age.

It's nice marketing for Titleist. I don't see how it translates to them making the best equipment though. Same way I don't buy Taylormade just because it's everywhere on tour.

That is a bold generalization that I dont think is fair at all.

There are exceptions but the vast majority of their families weren't exactly on food stamps when their sons turned pro. The days of guys scrapping by at first like Travino are getting fewer in between. To get recognized by a national program a kid needs to be playing in more than his high school state championship tournament. From what I've seen in the Big Ten, evey kid has a list of national tournaments that he's played in before getting into college. You don't fly around the country with golf clubs at 16 & 17 if your family can't afford a set of new Srixon Irons or an R11.

My point is still, if you want to make it on tour, you'll spend a few hundred bucks on what will give you the best chance to win, even if you don't use a set of clubs discounted 90%.

There are junior endorsement deals that don't pay any money, but they receive clubs, balls, clothes, bags, etc for free or for majorly discounted prices. I've read on other sites that most of the top juniors in the country have these deals. They were not around in the late 90's when I played AJGA, IJGT tourneys or I'm sure I would've heard about this.

That. Just. Happened. (tapatalk)

There are junior endorsement deals that don't pay any money, but they receive clubs, balls, clothes, bags, etc for free or for majorly discounted prices. I've read on other sites that most of the top juniors in the country have these deals. They were not around in the late 90's when I played AJGA, IJGT tourneys or I'm sure I would've heard about this.

That. Just. Happened. (tapatalk)

This! 2 of my best friends got Titleist equipment for free before they were even in high school. These guys arent buying this stuff and if they are it is heavily heavily discounted.

I think it would be very naive to say that their presence in amateur programs doesn't have a direct correlation with the numbers you posted. Just like it would be naive to say that the number of TM drivers out on Tour doesn't have something to do with paid sponsorships.

I look at these counts the same way I look at tour counts. With a grain of salt. Deals, contracts and endorsements are huge dollars at every level in this day and age.

How much is the typical equipment endorsement deal do you think?

How much is the typical equipment endorsement deal do you think?

That I cannot comment on because there are so many variables.

It's nice marketing for Titleist. I don't see how it translates to them making the best equipment though. Same way I don't buy Taylormade just because it's everywhere on tour.

It isn't about the best equipment it is about brand loyalty and building market share through providing free balls to pros, college players and now juniors. Basically they are getting people 'hooked' on the Titleist brand at an early age and that can translate to life long loyalty for a good percentage of those players.

Id say its nothing more than great marketing for Titleist. If you think that these kids dont get their butts kissed by all the manufacturers to use their stuff you are only fooling yourself.
Thats not to say that Titleist doenst make great stuff but I would read into it that Titleist is so superior just because a bunch of kids use their stuff.

My school is with Ping...I do think we have a ball thing with titleist though.

Thats not to say that Titleist doenst make great stuff but I would read into it that Titleist is so superior just because a bunch of kids use their stuff.

It's not just kids though. These are some of the best players in the world. It's been said that the US Amateur isn't a success or doesn't live up to his potential if he doesn't make it on the tour. This is a giant step past your local D2 college down the street.

I think there's something to the ball brand loyalty given you use it every shot so if you trust it with each club, it becomes difficult to switch but every club in the bag can be switched for relatively little money when you think of what these people eat, breathe and sleep.

No surprise really they are quality and they have name to maintain of course they want the most kids they can get

Back