Downhill Lie Near the Green

TrueFX

Reaction score
Handicap
I have absolutely no idea on how to play downhill lies near the green.

Situations where you are on the downside of a raised hill near the green, or on the downside of a green side bunker.

What type of club should you use?

What type of stance / swing do you use? Close pin, far pin? I've gone back and forth between trying to punch it and lift it with no consistent success.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Great question. If you have nothing between you and the pin and it is tight mowed grass go low. Try to run it up this is the safest way to play from here. If this isn't an option try this. Play the club in the bag that has the most loft. Play the ball up in your stance. SET YOUR SHOULDERS PARALLEL to the slope. The swing from here is just going to be with your arms and shoulders, keep the low body as quiet as you can. The ball is going to come out, but not with much spin. Your goal here is just to get it on the green. Don't try to get fancy here.

Great question. If you have nothing between you and the pin and it is tight mowed grass go low. Try to run it up this is the safest way to play from here. If this isn't an option try this. Play the club in the bag that has the most loft. Play the ball up in your stance. SET YOUR SHOULDERS PARALLEL to the slope. The swing from here is just going to be with your arms and shoulders, keep the low body as quiet as you can. The ball is going to come out, but not with much spin. Your goal here is just to get it on the green. Don't try to get fancy here.

that was awesome Andy, you painted a perfect picture there. Funny thing is that I just saw this on the golf channel last night, it was the show with Mark Wahlberg and Freddy. He told him the exact same thing. very cool!

Don't try to get fancy

Probably the best advice. I'm always trying to do something fancy to lift the ball.

I will keep your advice in mind.

Thanks.

once you try and LIFT the ball ... you are screwed...

Good info. I wish I'd had it before playing at TPC last weekend. I had a few of these shots and they were BLADE CITY.

Back