The Champion: How Will You Play It?

SethO

IXOYE
Reaction score
How will you play The Champion? You can give a general description or be as specific as you want.

For example:

Hole 1: take a 5 iron off the tee and place my shot on the left/middle of the fairway. Follow up this shot with a PW/LW (depending on pin location) to the green to give myself a shot at birdie.

This is how I played the hole last time and it worked out pretty well.

i plan to play it in roughly 4-5 hours.

Try avoiding a 12 like one of our Forum Leaders :D

Try avoiding a 12 like one of our Forum Leaders :D

hey, that wasn't on the champions my friend.

in all seriousness, i'll approach it like any other time i play golf. i will hit what gives me a full swing into a green....period. i'll lay up to a number on the par 5's and i'll play to the back yardage on all of the par 3's. it's the putting that i'm worried about.

I'm gonna pick my club Im hitting the straightest for my tee shots... Hopefully driver! With the irons Im playing now it may be feasible to hit long iron/long iron or long iron/mid iron to some greens. I'm excited to get another shot at this one.

I also plan on avoiding any palm tree.

hey, that wasn't on the champions my friend.

in all seriousness, i'll approach it like any other time i play golf. i will hit what gives me a full swing into a green....period. i'll lay up to a number on the par 5's and i'll play to the back yardage on all of the par 3's. it's the putting that i'm worried about.

I know your playbook my friend and I use it all the time. Hit what takes you to 150 or so and then put it close. I have been using this myself and my playing has much improved because of it.

I'm not a long hitter by any means, so I will more than likely be taking driver again to most of the holes. With any luck my slice will be a lot more managable by them so hopefully I'll be in the fairway more. I'm not 100% sure, but I think I went driver, 7 iron and left with a bogey on hole 1. I'd take that again. The rest of the holes didn't go so well for me. I plan on changing that! My goal is to come as close to 100 as I can. That should be doable if I can keep my clubface square at impact. Which is what I'm currently working on.

I will gauge my game at the time, I don't usually try to make too many plans on playing a course a certain way because there are so many elements that can change that. Like last time on 1 I hit 3 wood off the tee and gap wedge to the bunker, hacked out and 2 putted for a bogey. Next time I'd do it the same except try to keep that bunker part out of the equation. I think having played it will help all of us tremendously, it is very hard to play well on a course that you're unfamiliar with. OH and I'l have the course loaded on my On Par, that will help a TON!!

I am going to avoid the bunkers. I took 12 shots from 10 bunkers last time.

I am also going to avoid the temptation to go "long". I will still use my driver- bit will be ok with 240 and not 260.

Did I mention the bunkers?

One thing for sure I will have a driver that I am comfortable with, brought out a new driver for it last time. I will also be more relaxed, I was so geeked up to play that course and play it well. My swing was way to fast for the first few holes. Also I will try to avoid hitting my 2nd shot of the day left handed, that may help. I will play it much better next time, I know that. I will be aiming for an 85.

I also plan on avoiding any palm tree.

In behalf of all the palm trees, especially that one you hammered a couple of times, they say thank you.

I plan on going for it... on all the Par 3's.

Assuming I have these in the bag by then....use either a 3w or 2h off the tee more instead of driver. Will help manage my misses better.

In behalf of all the palm trees, especially that one you hammered a couple of times, they say thank you.

LOL, no layups on the bear trap huh?

What killed me last time was hitting too many penalizing drives. If my driver is in the dog house, I'll be hitting lots of hybrids off the tee and just have longer irons into the par 4s. If I can avoid the doubles or triples I should have a mid 80s round or better.

I will gauge my game at the time, I don't usually try to make too many plans on playing a course a certain way because there are so many elements that can change that. Like last time on 1 I hit 3 wood off the tee and gap wedge to the bunker, hacked out and 2 putted for a bogey. Next time I'd do it the same except try to keep that bunker part out of the equation. I think having played it will help all of us tremendously, it is very hard to play well on a course that you're unfamiliar with. OH and I'l have the course loaded on my On Par, that will help a TON!!

i hear ya - im scared lol- i hope i can pair up with one you all that have played it before - i could use all the advice i can get!

This is way too far in advance for me to plan. I will have ot see how my game is before hand, then I will plan an attack

i already loaded it into my skycaddie sgx - ill prob look at some of the holes in the offseason when im dreaming about playing golf again - lol. my best score this year so far is an 80 - i played 36 holes that day - but easy courses ive played 50 times.. so im going to aim for 90 on the hard course - i will have alot going against me - one is i will be cold from the offseason - two is it will be the hardest course ive ever played - and three - iill be nervous playing with all you new people lol ****.. maybe my sis can prescribe me some xanax or anxiety med HAHAHA

Yeah... Lol that tree took a beating. I hit those shots on the screws both times lol.

depends on if we are allowed on the fairways with the cart or not. If we are, swing away. If not, aim for the cart path

depends on if we are allowed on the fairways with the cart or not. If we are, swing away. If not, aim for the cart path

Oh yeah, forgot about that. I'm not that much of a serious golfer to walk across the fairway to my ball. :D

I know why they do it but personally I think it slows play down
Oh yeah, forgot about that. I'm not that much of a serious golfer to walk across the fairway to my ball. :D

Gonna hit a Hole in One at the Bear Trap (hope Rhino is in my group to witness the revenge!!)

I know why they do it but personally I think it slows play down

Yeah it's definitely understandable considering that they want the fairways looking phenomenal since that's the big draw there. I'm not a big fan of taking 3 clubs to a shot either but rules are rules.

hey spank, don't you have to be registered for the outing in order to play the champions course with us?

hey spank, don't you have to be registered for the outing in order to play the champions course with us?

Yes I have to be. Waiting on a friend of mine that will hopefully be coming along. Patience my friend. You know I wouldn't miss it.

Yes I have to be. Waiting on a friend of mine that will hopefully be coming along. Patience my friend. You know I wouldn't miss it.

who's this mysterious friend of yours? you got a mouse in your pocket?

Back