Where do you get your coil?

interlooper

Wishing I was golfing now
Reaction score
Handicap
I read an article yesterday regarding the different types of coil in the golf swing. Some people use their whole body to create coil. On the backswing, the hips, knees, back and shoulders all play a very active role, thereby producing coil against the feet. The article indicated that Fowler creates coil in this fashion.

Others produce coil in the upper body. The hips turn very little going back making the back and shoulders do all the turning and, thus, creating coil against the hips and legs. The article indicated that Villegas creates coil in this fashion.

I fall in between but closer to the latter. I create most of my coil in the upper body, turning my back and shoulders against more-steady hips. In previous years, I used to have more active hips, but for me, my ball striking, trajectory and distance is better when I have quieter hips.

Where do you produce your coil?

Last edited:
I think mine is in my upper body as well. I don't have too many swing thoughts, but I do make sure i put my left shoulder under my chin. My left hip automatically rotates a a good amount when I do this.

Mine goes from my hips to start and then as the swing progresses it turns up to my upper body with the shoulders.

Mine goes from my hips to start and then as the swing progresses it turns up to my upper body with the shoulders.

+1...exactly how it shoud feel too as the resistance is built up

I believe it's in the hips lead then upper body follows.We must push rear hip out of the way (meaning back and around) while maintaining knee flex and keeping knee inside rear instep. By not keeping knee inside the rear instep ,we will sway.

I believe in using the bigger muscles for the golf swing.The bigger muscles help generate our power.Using the smaller muscles means we might have timing issues.

Either way you need to find what works best for your body type.

Funny you mention this, because I was watching Villegas play last weekend, hitting bombing drives, and wondering where he got his power from. His hips hardly turn back at all, and his arms hardly went back past parallel with the ground! Amazing upper body strength.

I try to get my coil from my hips, shoulders, and arms, in that order. I try not to think about hitting with my hands, as they should take care of themselves on the downswing. If anything, I tell my hands to "hold" the lag as long as possible.

Yesterday, at the range, I started working a little more with my legs in my irons. Using the "inside" muscles to help turn into the ball. I found a decent distance increase (about 10-15 yards) when I really got my legs into it, but ball striking was a bit inconsistant. Not something I would do in a round yet...

Funny you mention this, because I was watching Villegas play last weekend, hitting bombing drives, and wondering where he got his power from. His hips hardly turn back at all, and his arms hardly went back past parallel with the ground! Amazing upper body strength.

This type of coil -- the back and shoulders turning against more-stable hips -- certainly isn't unique to Villegas either. Trevor Immelman creates this type of coil as well. Like Villegas, he intentionally restricts the hips during the backswing, thereby using this coil for his leverage and power.

It is much easier for me to "disconnect" my back and shoulders from my hips than it is to disconnect my hips from my lower extremities. In other words, I am able to have a full, coordinated shoulder turn in the backswing without a significant use of my hips for a turn. If I make my hips too active in the backswing, my accuracy suffers.

I think it definitely depends on flexibility and body type as well.

I think mine is in my upper body as well. I don't have too many swing thoughts, but I do make sure i put my left shoulder under my chin. My left hip automatically rotates a a good amount when I do this.

I do this as well, or at least I try to :)

When you twist, do you keep your front foot planted or is it ok to lift your heel?

When you twist, do you keep your front foot planted or is it ok to lift your heel?

I keep my left heel planted.

You want to avoid lifting your heel as much as possible. As well, try not to twist on purpose for the sake of having coil, you just gotta feel it.

I keep my left heel planted.

+1....but I have heard that some people are being taught to lift their heel ever so slightly for timing purposes, much like a baseball player

a lot of hip movements on this thread.. I like it lol

I used to have huge hip turn along with shoulder turn.
however now I am limiting hip turn and try to do shoulder turn only so that I don't overswing

You want to avoid lifting your heel as much as possible. As well, try not to twist on purpose for the sake of having coil, you just gotta feel it.

+1....but I have heard that some people are being taught to lift their heel ever so slightly for timing purposes, much like a baseball player

Jack Nicklaus lifted his left heel. Just saying.

When I first started taking lessons, my instructor said to pretend that I'm holding a beach ball in both of my hands and I'm passing it to the person behind me by staying still and just twisting...your twisting/coiling will just come natural?

When I first started taking lessons, my instructor said to pretend that I'm holding a beach ball in both of my hands and I'm passing it to the person behind me by staying still and just twisting...your twisting/coiling will just come natural?

It's all about building muscle memory....twist in front of a mirror until your shoulder points at or behind the ball.....look at what you look like....stop laughing....and rememeber that feeling and visual for next time you're at the range

My instructor told me to visualize having a pail of water that I was throwing to my right and behind me.

My instructor told me to visualize having a pail of water that I was throwing to my right and behind me.

That's a much better visual than a beach ball :good:

I keep my heel planted. Also, players that produce most of their coil by creating resistance between their shoulders/back and stable hips often maintain a significant amount of space between their knees in the backswing (nearly as much as at address).

Those that create coil with a bigger hip turn, often have a break in their front knee. (e.g., Ian Poulter)

I like that one. I can do that here in the office.

Him "What are you doing?"

Me "Throwing a pail of water to my right and behind me, on those servers"

ME "What?"

LOL

Starting with too much hip turn can end up leading to an inside takeaway and over the top move on the downswing. I watch my daughter do it all the time. She's supposed to try and move her belt buckle only a little bit. When her hips don't turn much it is easier to start the shift to the left side with a little bump of the left hip toward the target. That creates a lot of power. When she does it right the lag created and her hand speed to square the club face at impact warm my heart.

She's been struggling with it all Winter. If she doesn't get it figured out soon I may take away her IPod. :D

Kevin

Starting with too much hip turn can end up leading to an inside takeaway and over the top move on the downswing. I watch my daughter do it all the time. She's supposed to try and move her belt buckle only a little bit. When her hips don't turn much it is easier to start the shift to the left side with a little bump of the left hip toward the target. That creates a lot of power. When she does it right the lag created and her hand speed to square the club face at impact warm my heart.

She's been struggling with it all Winter. If she doesn't get it figured out soon I may take away her IPod. :D

Kevin

Do you have her stand against a chair, so she can feel it right away if she moves her hips?

Do you have her stand against a chair, so she can feel it right away if she moves her hips?

We at one time tried a chair drill, but we had the wrong kind of chair. Is the chair next to her right hip with the back facing forward assuring the hands go back straight to clear the back of the chair? Is that what you mean?

Kevin

We at one time tried a chair drill, but we had the wrong kind of chair. Is the chair next to her right hip with the back facing forward assuring the hands go back straight to clear the back of the chair? Is that what you mean?

Kevin

How does this chair drill work? Maybe I can try it :)

Kevin

I've seen two. The one that works better for me is have a the back of a kitchen chair an inch or so away from my rear hip, with the chair seat facing the direction of the takeaway. If you sway or more your hips a lot on the takeaway, you hit the back of the chair.

The other I've seen is to have the back of the chair directly in front of you, with your hips touching it, and the seat facing away from you. Then swing the club (or, just swing air, which is easier for a woman to work around the chair), trying to keep both hip bones against the chair on the takeway. It's impossible, but it does make you aware of how your hips move.

Does that help?

How does this chair drill work? Maybe I can try it :)

[YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HIWimOwJ0Gs&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HIWimOwJ0Gs&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Back