Mount Rushmore of Putter Makers

I love Gene Nead's offerings.I simply cannot get over how beautiful and beautifully crafted each putter is. It's clear that they're labors of love. If I ever manage to reach the upper echelons of putting, Gene's would be the putter I would choose.

Kim

John Reuter - designed the Bulls eye;
Karsten Solheim - designed Anser;
Bobby Grace - introduced ball core face inserts
Johnny Miller - introduced the long putter to the PGA tour and the world

i get so tired of seeing putter after putter that looks like an Anser. After seeing Duey's thread and the other thread about Gene Nead's work, I nominate him. He's putting out stuff that looks different. Due to the deductible on J.L.'s possible surgery, I'm going to have to wait to order one, but I will. I've seen some Machine putters that are pretty cool, too.

The world needs less Anser style putters.

Kevin

Hey Kev, Gene posted a new mallet on PT that makes me wish I'd have waited. I don't even care for mallets.

Posted from my BlackBerry using BerryBlab

After reading the TP Mills review, I think he would have to be included.

I'm not sure who the designer was, but how about the original designer of the Wilson 8802? Another classic design that has endured through the years.

I'm not sure who the designer was, but how about the original designer of the Wilson 8802? Another classic design that has endured through the years.

Robert Mendrella

Now that the new Radio Show is up, lets hear some more? Who belongs on the Mt. Rushmore of putter creation?

T.P. Mills-father of hand Milled putter, oval site dot, first to make a blacken putter (black oxide), first to put his name on putter, first to mark sweet spot (crosshairs), etc list goes on

Karsten Solheim- so many Classic models that everyone who makes putters does their own variation. Example: Anser and Anser 2.

Scotty Cameron- Greatest marketer of putters and accessories of all time. Limits quantity to drive demand. Supply and demand at it's finest. Most anything golf related he will put a Scotty Dog or CT on it. $385 stand bags sells outs within 5 minutes.... 500 limited headcovers sell out within 3 minutes... being able to sell $36000 worth of headcovers within that time is crazy! Smart enough the keep releasing them monthly and people keep buying. Public can now buy "tour" putters direct for distributors for $2500+ with different stamp as $300 OTR and people buy them like candy. He drives numerous cars and a Bentley for that reason....

Bob Bettinardi- best in the putter world to CNC and engrave a putter. It's like Michelangelo with a CNC and whatever they use to engrave putters and belt buckles! Amazing work.

I was debating on the last two, but I think Bettinardi should be there.

Good stuff! Can I say I'm still undecided until JB hits the record button for the next show?

As for the criteria that JB brought up, that's a good question. For me, it probably comes down to one word. Not sales, not popularity, and not even innovation, but "impact." That is, lasting impact.

Of course, impact is probably determined by a combination of sales, popularity and innovation...

I think Duey and I are ready to carve a 5th face into the real Mt. Rushmore, just to give us more room on this list!

Good stuff! Can I say I'm still undecided until JB hits the record button for the next show?

As for the criteria that JB brought up, that's a good question. For me, it probably comes down to one word. Not sales, not popularity, and not even innovation, but "impact." That is, lasting impact.

Of course, impact is probably determined by a combination of sales, popularity and innovation...

I think Duey and I are ready to carve a 5th face into the real Mt. Rushmore, just to give us more room on this list!

Haha, what's a little rock Sean? For some reason a few of the great players of their time keep coming to mind as effecting putter design and most defiantly sales of putters for generations. Nicholas comes to mind, as does Tiger who we see making changes every other day, yet people continue to flock to the store to play what Tiger plays. Sam Sneed and his funky curled shafted, between the legs, push pole, lol. Had Bobby Jones not complained we might still be seeing those.

I'll have to stay with my original list for now, just shorten until we can get some work done on the mountain, but I may have to swap Gene Nead in there once my new one is delivered, lol. The future sure looks sweet in any case.

See, why did you have to bring reason into the argument. Sound reasoning makes this far too hard....HA!

I will have my list ready soon, but I am going back and forth on 2 people and it is killing me.

Bumping this one up for more people as well as many of our new members. Love to hear more feedback from others.

Just curious here, but how many have re-chiseled their faces to remove Scotty Cameron since this last revelation?

Just curious here, but how many have re-chiseled their faces to remove Scotty Cameron since this last revelation?

Interesting thought Due.

T.P.Mills and Bob Bettinardi didn't stay with one company either,Heck both of them have been with Mizuno.Why no love for Scotty if he switches to Nike

T.P.Mills and Bob Bettinardi didn't stay with one company either,Heck both of them have been with Mizuno.Why no love for Scotty if he switches to Nike

That is not what they are talking about. There is another thread on it.

Is it about the Cassanova and the NC Gambler?

It could be said that every modern day builder has collected from the "cash Cow" created by Karsten Solheim in the anser style putter. Then comes the hand milled creations of T.P. Mills, yet there still wages a few arguments on that one. But no one seems to care who came up with Center of gravity, or more importantly, moment of inertia. Who created the first singular insert? If we look hard enough we can see some movers and shakers, individuals not afraid to stake everything on a concept and others who sit back in the pack and waited to copy the rest. Many of those who paved the way are no longer around thanks to individuals like SC.

Karsten Solheim - Invented and developed most of the designs most popular today.
T.P. Mills - Designer of the Bullseye and one of the first people to move more weight to the toe to keep the sweet spot in the center of the head. Also the first to design most of the flow neck heads everyone copies today.
Robert Mendrella - designed the Wilson 8802 - It is the basis for so many great putters and itself may be one of the best designs ever.
Arthur F. Knight - Father of the mallet putter head.

Last edited:
Karsten Solheim - Invented and developed most of the designs most popular today.
T.P. Mills - Designer of the Bullseye and one of the first people to move more weight to the toe to keep the sweet spot in the center of the head. Also the first to design most of the flow neck heads everyone copies today.
Whoever designed the Wilson 8802 - It is the basis for so many great putters and itself may be one of the best designs ever. Anyone know who designed it? I've researched it and can't find it. I know Palmer made some improvements on the original for Wilson later on.

Robert Mendrella created the 8802

Whoever designed the Wilson 8802 - It is the basis for so many great putters and itself may be one of the best designs ever. Anyone know who designed it? I've researched it and can't find it. I know Palmer made some improvements on the original for Wilson later on.

Scotty Cameron "perfected" all of those listed haha

Back