GolfTEC/Vector Pro fits TaylorMade SuperTri & Burner SuperFast

vicar

Banned
Reaction score
There's an interesting article in the April Golf Magazine, titled "Rocket Launchers". It basically illustrates how two readers were fitted for new TaylorMade drivers, and details their before and after results.

What's most interesting to me are the before and after spin numbers (in particular that they decrease, when I would have thought considering the drivers, shafts, and other factors involved, that they would have increased). I'm resigned to confess a complete understanding of the concept of spin will always evade me.

An aside, the article states they used Accusport's Vector Pro launch monitor, which I think is a similar version to the Vector X THP is now using. Niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice THP!

Anyway, here are some numbers/results for the two participants from the article.

Golfer 1 (Handicap: 2)
Old Driver: 460, 10.5, S flex, Aldila VS Proto 65, 44.5" shaft
New Driver: Burner SuperFast, 9.5, S flex, Matrix Ozik XCon, 46.5" shaft

Driver
Old/New

Clubhead Speed:
96.0/99.2

Ball Speed:
140.9/146.6

Launch Angle:
13.9/15.6

Spin Rate:
3,556/3,288

Total Distance:
238.7/253.4

Golfer 2 (Handicap: 28)
Old Driver: 460, 9.0, Firm flex, graphite shaft, 45.0" shaft
New Driver: SuperTri, 10.5, Motore 60 R flex, 45.75" shaft

Driver
Old/New

Clubhead Speed:
86.5/89.2

Ball Speed:
126.5/131.1

Launch Angle:
10.3/12.8

Spin Rate:
3,950/2,099

Total Distance:
189.5/229.5

Last edited:
I bet the high handicapper was happy as a pig in mud when he picked up 30 yards with his driver. Wish I was that fortunate

I read that, and it gets me thinking i'm really doingsomething wrong. I am demoing Reg flex DST's and have a ball speed of 145-150, and I hit my MAX shot at 250, most going 235-245. I'm guessing playing a fade/slice has alot to do with that :(

Golfer 2 needs more launch and spin.He needs to be in an 11.5 or higher lofted driver

Now I'm all confused about flex. I thought higher swing speeds (longer distance) required stiffer flexes, but the high handicap is hitting his new driver the same distance as mine, but I'm at regular flex? Should I be going to a firm or stiff flex? :confused2:

I read that, and it gets me thinking i'm really doingsomething wrong. I am demoing Reg flex DST's and have a ball speed of 145-150, and I hit my MAX shot at 250, most going 235-245. I'm guessing playing a fade/slice has alot to do with that :(

According to the article, Golfer 2 had a bad slice with his old driver, with a dispersion of 20 yards right. After his fitting and changing drivers his dispersion went down to 8 yards. The distance he lost right, was gained straight. So you're not doing anything wrong per se, but yes slicing the ball will definitely cheat someone out of good distance.

Golfer 2 needs more launch and spin.He needs to be in an 11.5 or higher lofted driver

His spin seemed fine for his speed with the firm flex, but went down dramatically with the regular flex. That was surprising to me.

Now I'm all confused about flex. I thought higher swing speeds (longer distance) required stiffer flexes, but the high handicap is hitting his new driver the same distance as mine, but I'm at regular flex? Should I be going to a firm or stiff flex? :confused2:

The high handicap driver went from a firm to a regular and picked up the distance. He had better spin with the firm flex, which is supposed to translate to more carry in general, but wasn't the case for him for some reason. I think you're probably fine at your flex, but when you're at a golf store hit a different flex for the heck of it. Golf galaxy is pretty nice about letting you just demo clubs that are near or in their sim stations if no one is using it. Just tell them you want to see how your spin is and I'm sure they'd be happy to help you out.

You are about the same as me.
My ball speed is between 140 - 150 which is right between regular - stiff flex.
I just fitted my super tri with regular shaft.
I could have gone with stiff with soft tip but decided I rather have regular shaft solely based on the fact that I would like shaft do the work instead of me working to draw the ball (yes, my natural ball flight is fade)

all depends on your swing speed (ball speed will work, too) and your tempo.
*let's use ball speed since most simulator displays ball speed*
If your ball speed is less than 140mph then regular flex would be better.
If you are at the border line, between 140 - 150 mph, then now consider your tempo. If your transition from back swing to down swing is quick then you could go for stiff (or stay with regular but make that transition smoother which most likely will work better overall)

Could this be why I tend to push drives about 20-30 yds right? No slicing, just a straight push... :confused2:

Could this be why I tend to push drives about 20-30 yds right? No slicing, just a straight push... :confused2:

Not knowing all the details, this sounds like you could use regular shaft.
Assuming ball striking is good but you can straight push (or fade), quite often shaft flex is not coming back in time (a.k.a a little too stiff).
If they have same driver, same stiff shaft but with softer tip with lower kick point than what you have, give that a try. that might help if you want to stick with stiff shaft.

I hit a regular flex (about 220-230)... maybe I should go to ladies flex... :shame:

Not knowing all the details, this sounds like you could use regular shaft.
Assuming ball striking is good but you can straight push (or fade), quite often shaft flex is not coming back in time (a.k.a a little too stiff).
If they have same driver, same stiff shaft but with softer tip with lower kick point than what you have, give that a try. that might help if you want to stick with stiff shaft.

I hit a regular flex (about 220-230)... maybe I should go to ladies flex... :shame:

I don't think you have to use ladies flex.. Do you know the model of your shaft you are using?
Try out, if they have a demo drivers at your club/store, regular shaft with different kickpoint but soft tip. and find out which one (low kickpoint or mid kick point) seems to give you better flight and direction.
Or maybe just your alignment is slightly to the right?

The ladies flex was a joke. The shaft is stock for the R9 460, and I make sure my alignment is straight. Could be a swing flaw, or maybe I just need to win one of those amazing Miyazaki shafts... :D

I don't think you have to use ladies flex.. Do you know the model of your shaft you are using?
Try out, if they have a demo drivers at your club/store, regular shaft with different kickpoint but soft tip. and find out which one (low kickpoint or mid kick point) seems to give you better flight and direction.
Or maybe just your alignment is slightly to the right?

Back