golfingcop

Reaction score
Handicap
Does anyone have feedback with the medicus training aids with the dual hinge? It kinda makes sense and is good for practice especially in the cold. Thanks.

I picked up the dual hinge 5 iron off craigslist for $30 bucks. Came with the box and DVD. I have used it periodically and it works pretty good. I have only tried it indoors and not a a range but it certainly highlights swing flaws. So, I have to say it works as advertised. There are always on ebay for sale too. Never tried the driver so I cant speak to that.

do you know if this is good for beginners? should I take lessons first before I use this

been playing only a few months, no formal lessons yet

do you know if this is good for beginners? should I take lessons first before I use this

been playing only a few months, no formal lessons yet

Definitely lessons before the medicus.

I've been interested in these for awhile. I read alot of good and bad about them. I read that you can learn to swing them poorly without it breaking and that you can still hit poor shots with it, while still not breaking.

You can get them on ebay for $50-$70 it seems, so I just might try one as no matter what I read, it seems like it should groove a CONSISTENT swing of some type or another! :laughing:

I own the 5 iron and there is much to learn from it but I'd recommend lessons first so you know what/why the medicus is breaking.... I did pretty much break mine hitting balls with it. but I would recommend if you get a good deal on Ebay retail is pretty steep.

I picked up the new 2010 Driver package on a whim. I'll let you guys know how it works for me.

Well I got mine in today! Haevn't tried hitting any balls yet. I loosened up the screw from where it was. Didn't get a manual for it, so not really sure what the recomended setting would be. I have it set to the take away has to be ultra slow currently, but I don't think its as loose as it needs to be to detect EVERY imperfection. I have swung it maybe an hour total in the back yard though. When I made full swings with it, they felt like good swings, and the divots were perfect positonally and the angles.

I know people complain that they don't tell you what your doing wrong, they just punish bad movements. While this is true, anybody can read a couple books, or better yet watch a few instrucional clips and know whats going on. I've never thought the golf swing was as hard to understand as people try to make it out to be, its just hard to do! :laughing:

I'm not ready to say this is a great item, but its very interesting from what I've seen so far!

Well I got mine in today! Haevn't tried hitting any balls yet. I loosened up the screw from where it was. Didn't get a manual for it, so not really sure what the recomended setting would be. I have it set to the take away has to be ultra slow currently, but I don't think its as loose as it needs to be to detect EVERY imperfection. I have swung it maybe an hour total in the back yard though. When I made full swings with it, they felt like good swings, and the divots were perfect positonally and the angles.

I know people complain that they don't tell you what your doing wrong, they just punish bad movements. While this is true, anybody can read a couple books, or better yet watch a few instrucional clips and know whats going on. I've never thought the golf swing was as hard to understand as people try to make it out to be, its just hard to do! :laughing:

I'm not ready to say this is a great item, but its very interesting from what I've seen so far!

Glad it is working for you. As we posted in our review over a year ago, it did not work for us. But I am glad that it is helping and hope it continues to.

Well, you're info outweighs their informercial. Even with all the super special tour pros who use it and 'swear' by it... ooooor the paycheck they are receiving...

Once again, a very useful piece of information that is going to save me money. Well done THP!

Well, you're info outweighs their informercial. Even with all the super special tour pros who use it and 'swear' by it... ooooor the paycheck they are receiving...

Once again, a very useful piece of information that is going to save me money. Well done THP!

I got mine for pretty cheap, so I figured why not give it a shot. I can't afford lessons as much as I'd like, and honestly, I'm not trying to spend tons on golf gear, lessons, etc., don't play super nice expensive courses, and don't play in any competive form at all except with myself. I'd be happy to be in the upper 80's to low 90's every round.

Before getting it, I know my biggest two problems with my swing. They are the take away and the top of my backswing, and this thing agrees with that! If its out of propper position in either (or any) place it breaks. If I get to the top trouble free, seems like the downswing is natural, smooth and easy. The divots are in perfect shape and position, then the follow through is spot on and easy to get into. If I don't clear my lower body, my hands/wrists break down too soon this thing breaks.

If you know your swing faults, I think this would be a useful tool. However, I can definitley see how it would be frustrating/useless if you didn't have a clue what you're doing wrong.

I guess I may sound like I'm preaching its praises too much too soon. I'm not ready to declare it an amazing cure all perfect golf trainer, but if further use of it goes the same as it has so far, I really think it will be a useful tool. I guess the real truth will be at the range.

I got mine for pretty cheap, so I figured why not give it a shot. I can't afford lessons as much as I'd like, and honestly, I'm not trying to spend tons on golf gear, lessons, etc., don't play super nice expensive courses, and don't play in any competive form at all except with myself. I'd be happy to be in the upper 80's to low 90's every round.

Before getting it, I know my biggest two problems with my swing. They are the take away and the top of my backswing, and this thing agrees with that! If its out of propper position in either (or any) place it breaks. If I get to the top trouble free, seems like the downswing is natural, smooth and easy. The divots are in perfect shape and position, then the follow through is spot on and easy to get into. If I don't clear my lower body, my hands/wrists break down too soon this thing breaks.

If you know your swing faults, I think this would be a useful tool. However, I can definitley see how it would be frustrating/useless if you didn't have a clue what you're doing wrong and you could confirm that the rest you are doing is correct at the same time. One of the biggest issues I have with the Medicus is that they are assuming that you are gripping the club correct. And as most teachers will tell you that almost three quarters of all golfers have improper grip which in turn could make the hinging of this device also incorrect.

I guess I may sound like I'm preaching its praises too much too soon. I'm not ready to declare it an amazing cure all perfect golf trainer, but if further use of it goes the same as it has so far, I really think it will be a useful tool. I guess the real truth will be at the range.

I have to say in using this thing for multiple weeks and being a decent golfer, using it with other golfers, none of us would ever use it again. But here is my question, if you know your swing faults, why not just pay for one lesson and have someone teach you drills or put you in the right position since you apparently already know what was wrong. Even a good price on a medicus to me would be the same as one lesson.

I have one of these and honestly I find it useless. If you even try to make a good aggressive swing it "breaks" and bends. I just dont see it being worth it at all. Who swings in slow motion? I did get a practice device called the swing Mojo, which I like quite a bit. Its really helped me learn to rotate through impact. So much so Ive started to hook. Its basically a 5lb weight on the end of a grip. You swing it and practice rotating your hands.

I have to say in using this thing for multiple weeks and being a decent golfer, using it with other golfers, none of us would ever use it again. But here is my question, if you know your swing faults, why not just pay for one lesson and have someone teach you drills or put you in the right position since you apparently already know what was wrong. Even a good price on a medicus to me would be the same as one lesson.

I got it for $28 shipped to the door. Cheapest lesson around here that I've seen is $40 for an hour. The biggest problem I've had with doing drills, are, they work fine at the range while doing the drills. Without the crutches of the drills its easy to get side tracked or out of what the drill was demonstrating.

I have one of these and honestly I find it useless. If you even try to make a good aggressive swing it "breaks" and bends. I just dont see it being worth it at all. Who swings in slow motion? I did get a practice device called the swing Mojo, which I like quite a bit. Its really helped me learn to rotate through impact. So much so Ive started to hook. Its basically a 5lb weight on the end of a grip. You swing it and practice rotating your hands.

I was making full powered swings with it, maybe I have it set too tight or maybe our definitions of aggressive swings are different? I have it set tension wise to where it breaks if the hinges are tilted any at all to the sides. I only hit a few foam practice balls with it, but I was swinging it as hard and aggresive as I normally would.

I was making full powered swings with it, maybe I have it set too tight or maybe our definitions of aggressive swings are different? I have it set tension wise to where it breaks if the hinges are tilted any at all to the sides. I only hit a few foam practice balls with it, but I was swinging it as hard and aggresive as I normally would.

According to our instructions that we got with the review, I believe you have it set too tight. But we are glad it is working for you. I found the thing to be virtually worthless as we pointed out in our review.

According to our instructions that we got with the review, I believe you have it set too tight. But we are glad it is working for you. I found the thing to be virtually worthless as we pointed out in our review.

Do you remember how the instructions you had said to set it? From what I read here: http://www.medicus.com/MedicusDual2000Booklet.pdf it sounds like I have it set well looser than "standard".

Something else I think after seeing my dad not be able to swing it. I bet people who have a repeatable swing groved in stone would hate this thing and find it useless. Even if the swing they have compensates and/or otherwise accounts for their swing flaws and enables them to hit good shots. My dad is a decent golfer, hits the ball well, definitley doesn't have the prettiest swing

Do you remember how the instructions you had said to set it? From what I read here: http://www.medicus.com/MedicusDual2000Booklet.pdf it sounds like I have it set well looser than "standard".

Something else I think after seeing my dad not be able to swing it. I bet people who have a repeatable swing groved in stone would hate this thing and find it useless. Even if the swing they have compensates and/or otherwise accounts for their swing flaws and enables them to hit good shots. My dad is a decent golfer, hits the ball well, definitley doesn't have the prettiest swing

The only thing that matters is how the club comes through at impact. Look at guys like Kenny Perry, Jim Furyk, etc...It is all about having the club come through cleanly and square. Im glad it is working for you. Our testers and myself felt otherwise.

The original Medicus only had one hinge. the current with two hinges claims to break as a result of several swiing flaws while it is said that tne original would only break if your tempo was bad, maybe a backswing that was too quick. I don't find much difference between the two. I do think it can help you with your takeaway and the tempo of your backswing in general especially if you are not able to play often. It is a usefull tool but I think the claims made for it are a bit optomistic. I like to take a swing with it once and awhile. Sometimes it will help me spot something in my swing. If I were playing regularly I am not sure I would ever pull it out.

is there any other kind of dual hinge drivers/irons or it there only medicus?

is there any other kind of dual hinge drivers/irons or it there only medicus?

There is a generic version floating around if you google dual hinge drivers it comes up I believe.

i suggest you try one out if you can before you buy. i had one about 6 months ago and it was worthless. didnt help my game at all. but thats just my opinion.

Back