Wife wants to try golf...???

Why can't women get it through their heads that men don't really ever change?

You know that's the difference between men and women, men get married thinking the women won't change and women get married thinking they can change the man. Both are wrong.:D

I've already figured that out!!

Did you guys know that the leading cause of divorce is marriage?

you should buy another driver in case yours breaks. Now if that isn't love, I don't know what is. :)

I hope you did before she changes her mind?

id say take her to the putting green... then the chipping/pitching area... then work your way to the driving range from there... if she gets frustrated with putting... its time to look for a new hobby

Wife playing golf with husband

Wife playing golf with husband

I get embarrased when my wife whups my butt playing golf. She is a natural athlete and golf comes easy to her. I hate her :D She just told me while watching American Idol that she is ready to start her golfing season this weekend. Oh well, I'm getting ready for another butt whupping.... I promise I will not go down easy :angry:

I get embarrased when my wife whups my butt playing golf. She is a natural athlete and golf comes easy to her. I hate her :D She just told me while watching American Idol that she is ready to start her golfing season this weekend. Oh well, I'm getting ready for another butt whupping.... I promise I will not go down easy :angry:
Good luck Gray!

Thanks, I'll need it :eek:)

Thanks, I'll need it :eek:)

At least she is not going to the proposed all guy thing for the Southeastern social group. I could not take it if she whup me in front of Calloway, Setho, & Tha Shanks. I would just go ahead and jump out of the plane without the chute on :eek:)

At least I don't have to worry about giving her lessons, she gives them to me :D,,,, on the golf course.

Broken record here, but I truly believe the best way to learn a new sport as an adult is total immersion. If you can swing it, a good three day women's golf camp is ideal. It's non threatening, consistent instruction with the same pro. Plus she'll meet golfing buddies.

At least she is not going to the proposed all guy thing for the Southeastern social group. I could not take it if she whup me in front of Calloway, Setho, & Tha Shanks. I would just go ahead and jump out of the plane without the chute on :eek:)

At least I don't have to worry about giving her lessons, she gives them to me :D,,,, on the golf course.

It's kind of sad - the Southeast has no women. CA does, FL does, the Midwest does and the 6 States do, but not you poor sad Southern boys.

It's kind of sad - the Southeast has no women. CA does, FL does, the Midwest does and the 6 States do, but not you poor sad Southern boys.

Hey everybody is welcome. We have not had any ladies interested yet? So yourself or any of our Lady Golfer's are certainly welcome, as long as you don't whup me in front of Calloway :D

Just log on to our Social Group and we will certainly accomodate. No bias here, especially to my Vanitee team mate :eek:)

This is a great thread :act-up:

I think it is such a blessing if one's significant other likes to play golf as well... My girlfriend had taken lessons from a pro, but had never really played on a course... we would go to the range together so she would build some confidence, then play a round, then practice a few times and go out again...

It is music to my ears when I ask her "what do you want to do tonight?" and she says, "let's go hit some balls!".. Spending a day with each other on the golf course is great... and since she loves it, she does not complain when I tell her that I am going to play golf with other friends or co-workers... she UNDERSTANDS :D ..

One time I was playing with a couple of older guys... one of them said to me, " my wife is out of town until tomorrow night, so I am playing golf tonight, tomorrow morning, and tomorrow afternoon..." I was thankful I don't have to think like that!

Broken record here, but I truly believe the best way to learn a new sport as an adult is total immersion. If you can swing it, a good three day women's golf camp is ideal. It's non threatening, consistent instruction with the same pro. Plus she'll meet golfing buddies.

Claire, I would love for her to do that. I agree that it's the best way to pick up a sport. Unfortunately a 8 month old infant makes that hard, but he's such a joy!

I agree with all who said to have her take lessons. You can do what Jacqui and I did and take semi-private lessons with just the two of you. Ours cost $400 for 6 one-hour lessons (not one lesson was one hour, they ranged from 1:10 to 1:30).

I think your wife playing is great. I know lots of golfing couples who do it quite well. I know you hear horror stories about arguments because the guy (normally) is trying to "help" his wife and she objects.

My wife can't play (bad back), but she used to drive the cart for me and act as my caddy while I walked. I miss it, but she can't even do that anymore with regularity.

Good luck to you guys. Have fun.

Several years ago, my wife decided that she wanted to learn how to play. I told her that it would not be a problem as long as she took several lessons and spent some time just walking with me on the course to learn etiquette and some of the subtlety's of the game.
She took lessons at the local community college, practiced, walked with me on several rounds. We played maybe a half a dozen times her first year, but that number has been declining every year since. She still plays at least twice a year, our annual family round with Jake (who at 9 years old kicks her butt) and at our church outing. But ultimately she has found that she can live without the game, but still wants Jake and I to play as much as we can.
My advise is to give her a chance and just see how it all plays out.

I took my wife to the range one time and she hasnt been back. She says its a boring sport, YAY for me! She actually hit the ball far and straight. She averaged about 175 off the tee. She knows I love the game and I have NEVER heard her complain about me golfing. :banana:

I took my wife to the range one time and she hasnt been back. She says its a boring sport, YAY for me! She actually hit the ball far and straight. She averaged about 175 off the tee. She knows I love the game and I have NEVER heard her complain about me golfing. :banana:

that's too funny, i can't imagine her smacking it 175. i would love to involve my significant other but she despises golf, she hates what golf courses do to mountain tops/developments/ground water (she's a natural resource management major). even when i try to educate her on how golf is becoming more and more "green" she doesn't care. but she knows that i love it and she supports that, she's a great woman in my book.

The true question is was she longer off the tee than you? :banghead: :banana::act-up:

The true question is was she longer off the tee than you? :banghead: :banana::act-up:

haha, i would have to say no though, tha shanks can crush the golf ball, i've witnessed it on many occassions.

We just have a few :D

I can drive farther than White Rhino :egyptian:

He's a good sport :)

Join the boys

Join the boys

Ok chick :eek:)..... You and the few are very welcome to join out SE Outing.... Few or not it does not matter. We have some beautiful courses in Georgia and the guys or gals not wanting to consider this outing are missing out on a treat :eek:)

Hey we got Augusta National in Georgia :D Pretty good little course up on Washington Road. I lived in Augusta for 13 years and about four years of them was one mile from the National. The little old Lady I rented from (single thing) gave me two passes each year to attend the Masters unless her daughter came down from Athens..... I could walk to the course. Back then all we had to watch were the likes of Jack Nicklaus, Johnny Miller, Tom Watsom, Ben Crenshaw, etc..... Old Slamming Sam on here knows what I'm talking about as he is a very good amateur player in Augusta..

To make this post ligit,,, "My Wife" will not come to North Ga. as she is playing in the Senior Womens Best Ball at St Simons, Island in Ga. this year in the Fall... Her and her partner finished second last year in the overall event and eventually lost the tournament in a playoff after two rounds in Athens, Ga. One at UGA course, and one at Jennings Mill CC,. She is playing at two courses again somewhere near Atlanta this Spring, (Cannon Gate) type courses. She gets plenty of tourament golf in to include our Club Championship which which she won in 2008. I won mine in 2007 but have not played the same since major knee surgery & cancer surgery ... Not to complain but my wife can whup my butt now :eek:).... Actually I love it.. She HATES it when I brag on her. I can not play the same game as I use to so I love to brag on my partner :eek:)......

Last edited:
I can drive farther than White Rhino :egyptian:

He's a good sport :)

I think GC outdrove all of us at least once on the Friday warm-up round at the "Ike" course at Industry Hills.:banana:

Little update:

My wife is on spring break (she works for the schools), so I'm taking 4 days off this week. A couple weeks ago I bought her a lefty 7 iron. Didnt spend much because I honestly didnt think she'd like it. So this last Monday we put the kid in daycare, loaded up the clubs, and drove to the local range.

Her first impression was "wow, its really green here!". We live in the high desert, and the golf course is the only sizable area where there is lush green and water. So we bought a sizeable bucket of balls and headed down to the range. I chose the left side of the range, so all the right handed players couldnt see her, she couldnt see them, and so she felt more comfortable. I re-taught her the basics of grip and stance (been working at home on this), and then went through the sequence of motion/mechanics on the backswing and downswing. We focused on this for 15 mintues, after which I tee'd up a ball and let her swing away. She did great for her first time! Most of the balls had decent flight and were flying to about 70 yards. There were alot of skulled and fat shots, but we laughed those off. Encouragement and compliments were key. We then went to the putting green, and I showed her how uphill, downhill, sidehill putts were all different. We then played a game of "HORSE" (sort of) while putting. Towards the end of the game, her ball stopped within an inch of the cup on a 25 ft putt with about 6 ft of break in it. She was stoked.

Walking away, she couldnt stop talking about how much she enjoyed it, how good it felt to hit some balls, and the best part "can we do it again tomorrow?". So Tuesday we went to a cheap local 9 hole course, and played 5 holes. She had a good time, but in retrospect, it was too early to take her out on the course. So she asked me yesterday "Can we go to the range on friday again?". We plan on it...

We then stopped in the local golf shop to get a decent left-handed putter, and she was browsing through the clubs and clothes, and asked how much a decent cheap set would cost. Then she happened upon the junior clubs. She picked up the 2-5 year old's putter and went "awwwww, so cuuuute! Maybe baby sacul can play in a few years!".

I'm smiling from ear to ear.:D

Back