To former slicers and "over the toppers"

gbigoose1

Reaction score
Handicap
Hey thpers, I'm really struggling with my driver right now. It seems like I can hit every other club in my bag where I want to, except this one. All I can do is slice the ball and I don't know where its coming from. It could be an over the top swing but I'm not sure. Anything, anything about slicing or over the top that has helped you overcome this would be so awesome. Andy's helping me also but I'm looking for as many opinions as possible before I get driving lessons. ( And even though I know its the best solution, if your going to say get lessons, I already know!) Anyways thanks in advance. - Goose

Baseball Diamond drill that Amollerud in the ask the pro section speaks of cured mine in 2 range sessions. You are at home base. You want to swing like you are going to hit the ball to right field.

Yup, the baseball drill will definitely help with coming over the top.

Also, double check your stance and setup. If you're not having problems with the other clubs, it could very likely be a setup problem.

1. Strengthened grip

2. Set the ball up on the toe of my driver (there is a recent thread with a great video on this site that shows why)

3. Put a target on the inside of my ball and aim for that target when I swing (baseball diamond drill - same concept)

4. Corrected my swing plane - was way too upright, all arms with incorrect shoulder turn

Lessons have helped immensely!

Thank you, and also jw JB, I noticed on the THP t.v. that you guys had made lesson videos of Andy. I forgot the dates but I think it was a while ago. Why did that stop? He was great at explaining and that would be awesome to have back.

The baseball diamond drill is ho w i was taught too. A few other thoughts u can try and have. Feel like your pausing at the top, and let the club drop down almost.. Take it back straight on line and then think hitting the ball from inside left to make the ball go to right field. If you are slicing you most likely are coming over the top and purtting a lot of sidespin onto the ball, so you will really have to close the club face or it's gonna start right and stay right. The goal here is to start it right and bring it back left in a nice power draw. Good luck!

Don't know if you played any hardball but you should feel like your leading with the wrists..

Thank you, and also jw JB, I noticed on the THP t.v. that you guys had made lesson videos of Andy. I forgot the dates but I think it was a while ago. Why did that stop? He was great at explaining and that would be awesome to have back.

Sheer issues with distance. We lived hours apart. However with our new partnership with GolfTEC, you should expect more videos from us and them very soon.

My drives started to go a lot straighter when I started concentrating on releasing the club at impact.

Darn I wish I had joined/found this forum before the ranges closed.
I seem to have this exact same problem - I make beautiful contact with the ball [dead centre of the X on my driver] but the ball still slices badly (I know this because I clean my driver face after every round so I can look at where the ball is striking the face).
Oh well, I guess I'll have to wait until next year.

Not sure if I'm allowed to post links to external sites (youtube) so please feel free to remove if I'm posting out of turn.

http://www.youtube.com/user/4golfonline#p/u/59/kICRZpwvEls

This short clip on 3 simple factors has really helped me!!!!!!!!!! I used to suffer with a really high slice or at best a high fade (massive distance reduction)

Can't explain how good it now feels to know your going power a drive down the fairway straight or with a slight draw & more penetrating flight.
His tone is a bit droll, but stay with it.

1 month on (& soon to have new irons) I hoping the H/C is coming down fast.

Last edited:
Another vote for the baseball set up. Swing for a right field hit and its pretty hard to slice anything.

close stance
strong grip
hip bump
full release

with all that you should be hooking like me in no time

When I struggle I go back to basics, place your headcover under your trail arm and swing without letting the headcover drop. For me this really makes me focus on getting that trail elbow down into my side and eliminates OTT.

Spoiler
You're on your own with the wrist release :)

I use some SliceFixer's thoughts (he's a guy on golfWRX, I believe). Here it is - it has cured me of slicing and now I either push a bit to the right, do a slight draw, or hook if I get too loose.

Set-up as normal or comfy for driver.
Strong grip.
Swing back by turning your trail shoulder (right for right-handers) towards the target and keeping your left arm extended (but don't extend any further as you swing!)
Swing down by turning your body and keeping your lead, left arm pinned against your chest.

If you have to only get one part of the tip, that last one is the one to take away.

Try getting the feel of swinging through with your arm pinned like that. As an exaggeration, picture your chest facing the hole but your lead, left arm is still glued to your chest as you hit ball. This really keeps your arm from swinging out to in and gets rid of the slice. This has been a game changer for me and only took a week to implement. Now I need to control my draw from turning into a hook, and I never thought I'd say that.

Another thing to consider....

Make sure you are not hanging back with your weight on your back foot. I struggle with the reverse C from too much hip action and have been through the same slicing problems. Mine is usually caused by an over the top move (baseball diamond drill) or failing to get my weight back onto my front foot on the DS. I strongly agree about the previous suggestion about Hunter Mahan's tip. I feel like I'm putting my shoulder through a door on my lead side and then I just unwind. Works like a charm. Good luck.

I know exactly what you are going through, I would slice every drive and hit every green in the beginning of this past season. My irons were perfect, my woods were terrible...

The baseball drill helped me too but I also slowed down my backswing and at first slowed down my entire swing and concentrated on making solid contact.

Also you want to think about making and inside our swing path (baseball drill) to do this I would bring the club head back straight over my head and then try to get it as flat as possible on the downswing. let me know if that doesn't make sense...

I did 2 things, together. 1st, I made one of those "Inside Approach" tools that used to be on infomercials. Cost=$8 at Lowes. Then I practiced the loop move that Haney was having Ray Romano do on their show. The combo of the 2 worked like a charm. I fixed the slice in 1 range session and by the 3rd session was very comfortable and never hitting the tool.

Disclaimer-it worked too well and took me from my natural fade to a draw. Most people are looking for this change, but I had to spend a little dialing it in to get my fade back. What can i say, it is my comfort zone and i was too scared to switch.

Back