Help me not hate my 09 Burner Driver!!!

jdice1980

Reaction score
Handicap
Ok, I recently purchased a completely new set of clubs to replace a stolen set. I went with Mizuno’s MX-200’s which I love. I also went with the Burner 09 Driver in 9.5* Stiff shaft, 09 Burner 3W in stiff, and Burner 3 hybrid. I love the 3w and hybrid, and when I hit it in Golfsmith I loved the driver too. However, it is really driving me nuts now. I slice the heck out of it. When I do get a semi-straight shot it either is a balloon or a worm burner. I get about 240 on the fly with my 3W but the driver I can only get to 200 in the air at the most on a straight shot. I also have a Hogan CS-3 Draw biased in 10.5 with Aldila NV-H. I hit the Hogan driver straight most the time, and have great distance.

To the point: I am thinking the shaft may be a culprit. It’s too long I think because even with the stiff shaft I feel like I am doubling it over on itself. It feels really “whippy.” I have no idea what direction to go with a replacement. I really love the feel of the Hogan shaft. It just feels good to me, but I have no idea what would be comparable because it is a proprietary shaft. I have no problem sticking with what works for me but I spent the money on the stinking club I just wished I could hit the thing better. So I guess what I am looking for is some suggestions about how to bring this club around with a new shaft. I’m not really an equipment junkie…I am pretty ignorant when it comes to these things.

Not sure I can help you out because I loved that driver. Most likely it is a swing flaw being caused by the club not fititng right. Either shaft is wrong, too long, etc...But if you are really slicing it, take it back and get on the monitor and find out why? Golfsmith has the 90/90 policy and on the monitor you should be able to tell what the culprit is.

Well I hit a good number of balls with it before buying and I kept them pretty straight for the most part, but I was also just getting back into the game after a long absence. I thought I would be able to tune it in. I know it has to be a swing flaw because I don’t have the problem with the 3w unless I try to really over muscle it. It has to be a product of the shaft length, at least I am hoping. I’m pretty short at 5’9’’. I am going to do some measurements and see if I can get a recommendation in the “ask the pro” section as far as length. I want to get this driver tuned in but I have 10 days left on the 90/90 so I may take store credit and hold out for something else. Assuming I don’t have to make a new purchase right then. I don’t want to feel rushed.

It sounds to me like you are coming over the top with your swing based on what you are describing. Not sure a shorter shaft or different club is going to assist that, but it might.

I really like my Burner driver. Mine is the '08 model, but it is 9.5* and Stiff flex factory shaft. It took a couple of weeks to flatten my swing plane a bit to compensate for the longer shaft, but once I did....POW!!!

Yeah that is possible. It could be the draw bias in the Hogan is offsetting the slice. It really isn't a wicked slice though. Just starts right and moves right about another 15-20 yards. I'm contemplating a lesson of two with the driver only because I am happy with my iron play, or at least I can feel what's going on and fixing it myself. I just can't seem to feel anything with this club.

I didn't like the shaft in my Burner either, so I replaced it with a 67g UST Proforce V2. I also brought the overall length down to 44". 45 1/2" was too long for me - I'm 5' 9" also.

I have the exact same model as you do, and used to have the same problem as you.

It's not the driver/shaft. Like JB says, it's a swing flaw.

I use to have a wicked slice, but have flattened my swing plane and play a slight draw/fade.

Not happy, but not giving up.

Not happy, but not giving up.

Just got back from range. Managed to force myself to take only the driver although I wanted to bring an iron along because i knew if it didn't go well I at least wouldn't have felt like I wasted money on balls.

UGH! I don't think I can get any flatter. I know thats the problem. My plane is way off. I managed to stripe one that let me know the driver would deliver. My swing thought on that one was keep the right elbow tucked, and it gave me ONE good ball. Other than that I was all over the place. I was getting some massive hooks every now and then dead sraight but way right of target, and slices. Did the baseball diamond drill and wow....that straightend them out....problem is they would have flown right over the right field foul poll but I was aiming for second. So. $8 and 120 balls down and no improvement. This sucker doesn't like me yet but I am going to make her. The wife is on the couch tonight because I am sleeping with this thing until it does what I ask.

Our THP Pro has a ton of drills in his section about them. The baseball diamond drill fixed my game completely.

What is the diamond drill?

Check the Ask the Pro Section for the proper info, but to look at it like hitting on a baseball diamond and work to try to hit out to right field. Andy explains it best in his section.

Like I said that drill worked, but I probably came close to killing a couple of little leauge outfilders ironically enough because the ball went dead straight right up the "baseline" toward the park where they were having baseball games.

That only comes from keeping the face open at impact, so something is not working right.

What is the diamond drill?
you put diamond on the driver face to make it harder lol

OK, seriously.. diamond drill -> baseball concept/term. the diamond shape of infield.
You swing towards the 1st base with club face squared -> ball starts right then draw it back
and for ball starting left then fade back in for swing towards 3rd base with club base squared.

I have 07 burner driver (now a backup driver). 08 and 09 burner driver has different shape but shaft and the rest are same. I do agree with others who wrote here.. flatten your swing plane a bit that should probably work. :)

I am former Burner 09 owner, could not hit straight if my life depended on it. Sold it and went to a Cleveland Monster. Maybe you and club are not for each other.

I have the 09 Burner and love it. I recently demo'ed the 10 Burner and R9 and while I liked them, it wasn't enough to switch so I think it has to be a swing issue for you. I know for me, if I try to kill it with the stock shaft it goes WAY left. My swing speed is ave. 105mph.

Just a quick thought. Was the club you bought the exact same one that you demoed or was it another Burner that was brand new? If it was not the same one I would have the face checked to see if it is neutral or perhaps 1* open. It is possible to have 1-2* of difference between any given head. If this is a different club I would also go back and hit it side by side against the demo and see if they play the same way. You might be making changes in your swing when in fact it could just be that the club plays differently that the demo.

Ok there is one clear answer to this delema..

Send me your driver and find another you like more. Just saying this may be a win win situation. :confused2:

Ok there is one clear answer to this delema..

Send me your driver and find another you like more. Just saying this may be a win win situation. :confused2:

Haha, I like your thinkng there....I will give it some consideration.

So now with an update:

Last Thursday at the range I could hit my Hogan driver long and straight with my normal swing. Would push or push slice the Burner, and hit my irons great (even long ones) as usual. Like I said Friday I went to the range with just the Burner and hit it all over the place. Last night I went back to the range with all my clubs minus the Burner and it appears as if trying to groove a swing for that stupid club has destroyed my swing with everything else, haha.....I was duck hooking irons...now I was pushing and slicing my 3W and Hogan driver. URGH!!! Haha...anyway....I got my irons back under control toward the end of the session thankfully. Was only there an hour though. Tomorrow I am going to the bottomless bucket range and grind things out for about four hours minimum. The Burner is going into the shop today or tomorrow for a new shorter shaft (Aldila NV 65 in stiff).

You dont have a handicap listed, so I am not sure what type of player you are overall, but could it be that your swing is just not that repeatable as the clubs get longer? The other side of it is, if you are hitting your other driver long and straight, why replace it? Just return this one would be my thoughts.

JB, I am completely content with keeping my older driver in the bag since I can make it work. I did consider returning the Burner under the 90/90 program but Golfsmith is telling my i had to have paid more than 240 for it. I only paid 200, so.... Nevertheless, I don't really feel like I am loosing much by putting a more responsive and shorter shaft on there just to see what comes of it.

About a handicap: I've never been offically indexed but I usually shoot bogey golf. Actually, I shot 88 my last round out teeing off with 3W and my 3 hybrid. This is recently however. Ten years ago when I was playing I was much better with all my clubs but like I think I said I have only been back playing a couple of months and only been able to practice once a week usually. I had driver problems then though too I thought it was because my grandad had the wise idea to order a Titlest 945D in 7.5* loft without me knowing when I would have much preferred more loft just because I smoked a couple at a demo day. I never could hit that thing, but long story short, I would play from his drives in our weekly rounds and would shoot in low 80s on a consistent basis. The fact is right now I am having some swing breakdown. I have usually been able to correct myself though, but at this very moment I am researching an instructor. I will get this fixed.

Shoulder turn! I was thinking maybe I was starting my downswing with the hands and not the shoulders. So I went to the range to test this theory. I don't know if that is what I was doing but focusing on starting down with the shoulders seemed to have brought me into the slot. Much better ball flight by far.

Back