GripIt Rite Training Aid Review

9-Iron Man

Exciting Times
Reaction score
Handicap
High
It’s happened to us all at one point or another in our golf game: the complete failure and disintegration of our swing. It’s happens. It’s a fact of life. To me, this has happened a few times now, but none as worse as my latest breakdown.

A few weeks ago I had the chance to go play again after about 3 weeks rest. To get myself ready I went to the range and then everything fell apart on me. The wheels fell off and I was not in a good place. The cause? A bunch of things, but the primary reason was at the top of my swing, I was re-gripping the club with my left hand. I was actually letting go of the club enough so that I could reposition my hand of the club. Scary stuff for sure. I don’t know why I started doing this, it just sort of happened. I constantly fight an over the top swing which commonly forces my shots right as a slice. Lately, I was quite focused on making sure that I was turning my wrists over to close the club face at impact. Well it looks like I took it too far. So much so I began to re-grip the club to close the face even more. Match that with my over the top swing and you get a 30 yard pull with my short irons and 30-40 yard hooks with my long irons and fairway woods. My driver believe it or not, was actually going pretty straight. Obviously, I couldn’t play golf this way. So after quickly cancelling my round for the next day I made a stop at my local Golf Town, and I left with the latest weapon to get my scores low; and it turned out to be my cheapest item in my arsenal.

The GripIt Rite Aid attaches over the grip of any club, from wedge to driver. It should be noted that seeing as it fits over the grip, standard sized grips are best. You might be able to slip it over a midsize, but it will be very tight, and therefore could cause damage to your grip. Installation is as simple as slipping the aid on to your grip and will be covered in the video below.

As I mentioned in the video, I’ve managed to straighten out my PW and two wedges. I’m even seeing some very good yardage gains as well. What I’ve found is that having the grip aid on my club is keeping my hands quiet and “locked” on the club which is shortening my swing and helping me stay on my swing plane. I'll keep you guys updated with my progress.

More info can be found on GripIt Rite website.

The packaging. Sort of 80's retro.
scan0001.jpg

scan0002.jpg

Some pics before and after installation.
GripItRite001.jpg

GripItRite003.jpg

GripItRite007.jpg

GripItRite006.jpg

thanks for the review....I may have to pick one up at the local shops.

Nice review buddy!!!

Nice review 9i

Nice review buddy. I've been working on my grip currently as well and know how hard it can be. Good luck.

Excellent review 9-Iron Man; appreciate you taking the time to write this up. You have peaked my interest and I might need to look into this one myself.

Interesting stuff 9i, I am a constant regripper of the golf club at the top. Ive played like that almost my whole life.

Thanks for the kind words everybody. This is definitely something I didn't want to have to get, but I am sure glad that I did. It was $20 for me at Golf Town which seems reasonable to me. Grip is so important. And as I mentioned, it extends to the swing. My swing was always long and a bit wild. My swing since getting this has shortened significantly and is much more controlled. Funny how everything ties together in this game!

Interesting stuff 9i, I am a constant regripper of the golf club at the top. Ive played like that almost my whole life.

You don't say?!? For me it just started happening one day. My swing felt completely foreign to me all of a sudden and bad things were happening. Spending $20 for this seemed like a no brainer and has helped.

It allows me to get way more lag. Im sure its where I get extra distance from. But its consistent enough for me.

Like tommy 2 gloves, it doesnt have to be perfect to work.

Glad to hear this is working out for you!

You don't say?!? For me it just started happening one day. My swing felt completely foreign to me all of a sudden and bad things were happening. Spending $20 for this seemed like a no brainer and has helped.

Great review 9-iron. That packaging does look old!

It allows me to get way more lag. Im sure its where I get extra distance from. But its consistent enough for me.

Like tommy 2 gloves, it doesnt have to be perfect to work.

Glad to hear this is working out for you!

Very true. And you've got a great looking swing.

Great review 9-iron. That packaging does look old!

Thanks dmb! It must have originally come out in the 90's due to the look, but that doesn't really matter as long as it works!

Nice review 9I! This has definitely peaked my interest so I may have to go check this one out.

nice review 9iron. neat idea of being able to put it on your own clubs and take it off when needed.

Thanks for the review! Will be picking up one if I ever see it at a local shop. I know my grip sucks.

Nice review 9i, I go through periods of grip problems with my shorter irons on full shots and this might be a big help. Thanks for the info.

Range session this weekend. Spent about an hour and a half out there on Saturday afternoon. Got a large bucket (over 100 balls) and hit a few clubs.

VR Pitching Wedge: I always start off with my PW. The GripIt was still attached from my last round. Things started off pretty straight, but a small pull developed as I hit more balls. I'd say it was a 5-7 yard pull. Overall, nothing that I was overly concerned about. They are still better than the 30 yard pulls I was seeing a couple weeks ago. The pulled shots were landing just short of the 130 flag on the range. I forgot my range finder at home, so I unfortunately couldn't verify distances, but I'd say these flags are relatively accurate.

VR 7 Iron: I then moved to my 7 iron. I first tried a few swings with the aid, but after seeing not too good results, I applied the aid and immediately started seeing better shots. With the GripIt on, I was seeing around a 5-10 yard pull and the shots were landing I'd say about half way between the 130 and 170 flags.

4DX 4 Hybrid: This club was kind of hit or miss for me. Again, I started with the GripIt but quickly put it on. I've only gamed this club once so far and it was a bit hard to predict. I hooked a couple, I hit a couple dead straight, I think I even sliced a couple. Primary shot shape was I'd say a 0-5 yard pull. Well struck balls were going around 170ish. It's hard to say exactly as the range has some mounds and hollows. I think 170 was the number though. Which is good as I pulled my 4 iron (my 170 club) in favor of the 4DX.

Rescue 11 4 Hybrid: I've had a bit of a love/hate relationship with the Rescue over the last fews months. It's been a great club for me and it's been a terrible club for me. Saturday was a good day. I put the GripIt on right away and was seeing some good shots. I played with the lofts a bit and I'll talk more about that in the Rescue 11 thread, but once I figured things out with that, I was seeing around a 5-10 yard pull that I'd say were going around 185-190. Still managed to hook and slice a few too.

Launcher FL 7 Wood/3 Wood: I'll talk about these together as they were quite similar. I haven't been able to hit these for a few weeks with the breakdown of my swing. Adding the GripIt to these really helped me and I was launching bombs again with these. Yes, I still hooked and sliced them, but that pretty much disappeared when I put the GripIt on. Again, distance was hard, but I'd have to guess that the 7 wood was going 205ish pretty much dead straight and the 3 Wood was going 220ish with a 5 yard pull. Exactly the numbers I'm used to seeing with these.

SuperTri Driver: I was hitting my driver through out the range session and I was slicing pretty much everyone. Towards the end of the session, I was hitting driver exclusively and was still not seeing any improvement. Usually towards the end of a round, my drives straighten out, but I was not seeing that so I put the GripIt on. First one was ripped straight. Still managed to hit a few bad ones, but I can happily report that my last ball went dead straight and about 230ish. A little short, but I'll take it. Always good to leave on a high note right?

All in all, this aid really helps me. When not using it, I'm gripping my clubs like a would with it on, but having it on, does wonders for my mental game. Having it there adds confidence or something. But the proof is there, I hit the ball much better with it one the club. Of course, I'll have to start not using it as time goes on, but in the mean time, I'm going to continue to work on my ball striking with it.

Of course there will be more to come!!

Last edited:
Was ordering some stuff from amazon so I added this thing in for like 10 bucks. No big deal if it doesn't work, but your review sold me on it! Thanks again.

Very nice review!

Was ordering some stuff from amazon so I added this thing in for like 10 bucks. No big deal if it doesn't work, but your review sold me on it! Thanks again.

Glad I could help!! Be sure to let us know what you think! It's a handy little thing to have. I'm glad I got mine.

Interesting little gadget...might have to grab one.

Thanks for the review.

How highly would you recommend this? I know my grip isn't the best so I'm thinking about buying it now. I'm hoping that the grip has a bigger impact on the entire swing than I thought it did. I'm looking for anything that can help and this seems like it might do the job.

How highly would you recommend this? I know my grip isn't the best so I'm thinking about buying it now. I'm hoping that the grip has a bigger impact on the entire swing than I thought it did. I'm looking for anything that can help and this seems like it might do the job.

I think it's a very good tool. They say the grip is the foundation of the swing and full-heartedly agree. It's not overly expensive, I got mine for $20 and wawabau above said he ordered one for $10. The fundamentals it teaches are very good. I know my grip is 100% better and as a result, my swing is vastly improved as well. I would highly recommend this to anyone who is having grip issues or is having problems with face angle at address.

Well just found my newest aid to add to my collection. I'm going to look like some sort of bionic golfer on the range haha

Great review. I'm trying to get my grip straightened out and this looks like good, reasonably priced, aid to help me with that.

Back