Callaway Apex Irons Preview

Did anybody go with the pro's? You really can't go wrong but just curious.

I've got a combo set coming. Pro for 8-P.

Did anybody go with the pro's? You really can't go wrong but just curious.

I was fit for the pro's. A few guys went w/ a combo set and one or two others straight pro's.

Cool. I can't wait to hear what you guys think about them and then getting a shot at them in just a few short weeks.

Saw an email this morning from Callaway Golf that their preorder page for the Apex irons is now up.

Cool thing about that page is that the rumors were true: no upcharge on a number of different custom shafts. Just playing around with the site, here's a sampling of the shafts that are no upcharge: all of the KBS line (except they don't offer C-Taper Lite), all of the Project X options (original Project X, PXi, PX 95), multiple Dynamic Gold options (original DG, DG XP, DG SL), UST Mamiya Recoil 95 and 110 (the Recoil 660/680 are the stock graphite shafts).
This is a stunning list of shafts with no up-charge. Given the price I would have expected such but it's still nice to see. I'd love to try the Recoils in either the 110 or the 680 but knowing that the PXi that I love is available too is comforting.

This is a stunning list of shafts with no up-charge. Given the price I would have expected such but it's still nice to see. I'd love to try the Recoils in either the 110 or the 680 but knowing that the PXi that I love is available too is comforting.
I am completely happy with my current setup, but I would be lying if I said I wasn't interested in these matched with 110 Recoils. #drool

I am completely happy with my current setup, but I would be lying if I said I wasn't interested in these matched with 110 Recoils. #drool
Yeah I'm in the same boat. I love my current irons and when I don't play well the clubs are not the issue in any way but I could really use some Apex love when it comes to the long irons (5i on down). Matching this club head with the Recoils could be an absolutely stunning combo.

No sir. No pros here
This surprises me, actually, at least a combo set.

Looks like I may be hitting these this weekend as I just got an email from UPS!!!! They should be here tomorrow!!! Can't wait to get out and swing these things and see what they can do. The day is finally near.
WHAT?? <running off to check my other mails....>

This surprises me, actually, at least a combo set.

The added forgiveness and extra launch that the Apex promotes over the Apex Pros had me convinced that a full set of Apex would be a good set to game, for me. I rely on my scoring wedges heavily in my game, as my goal on every hole is to get to the 150 yard marker and be up & down from there. A bit more forgiveness across the face in the Apex irons, combined with a higher initial ball trajectory to give me a touch more spin when the ball is descending in to the green was too much to pass up.

Gotta try the KBS V Spec's. These are some sweet shafts that come stock w/ Pros and are an option on the Apex.

The added forgiveness and extra launch that the Apex promotes over the Apex Pros had me convinced that a full set of Apex would be a good set to game, for me. I rely on my scoring wedges heavily in my game, as my goal on every hole is to get to the 150 yard marker and be up & down from there. A bit more forgiveness across the face in the Apex irons, combined with a higher initial ball trajectory to give me a touch more spin when the ball is descending in to the green was too much to pass up.

Good summation. See what happens when you assume...

RE: Delivery...I'm giddy like a girl right now and trying to contain myself here at work.

Messing around on the Apex preorder site, their lie angle spec's are associated by a color. 1* up is green, 1* flat is gold, etc. Have they always done this or is it new?

10944490064_9a5a756d79_b.jpg

I believe that's how my xhot pros were

Messing around on the Apex preorder site, their lie angle spec's are associated by a color. 1* up is green, 1* flat is gold, etc. Have they always done this or is it new?

My X-14 Pro Series Irons are 1 up(green) & I got them 10 years ago so it's not new

My exact same thought. I liked the pros but the Apex's were just so easy to hit. Cannot wait to get these in hand!

Well said dude, lets take the extra forgiveness and run with it!

Interesting as that is what Ping does. I wonder what this helps? My guess would be production and inventory. Easier to identify.

And I also have to agree with Roy and Ryan here on why I went with these. Could not say it any better.

Well put. This is exactly why I'm thinking about making the switch in my full set.

Well said dude, lets take the extra forgiveness and run with it!

OK, Mikey, let's be real, I know you need forgiveness, I've seen you hit. :alien:
Ryan on the other hand; this just makes it way easier for him to whoop all our arses.
The dude watched an Auburn game during the Gauntlet and still busted out birdies like they were nothing.
This is the only reason I assumed he at least went combo.
God knows I need them.

Provided mine are on the truck, too, it looks like I'll be hitting balls in some really low temps in Indy next week.

OK, Mikey, let's be real, I know you need forgiveness, I've seen you hit. :alien:
Ryan on the other hand; this just makes it way easier for him to whoop all our arses.
The dude watched an Auburn game during the Gauntlet and still busted out birdies like they were nothing.
This is the only reason I assumed he at least went combo.
God knows I need them.

Provided mine are on the truck, too, it looks like I'll be hitting balls in some really low temps in Indy next week.
Toad- I have little doubt that I could game the Apex Pros without much problem, as I have played similar sets to them in the past with much success. However, for me, I know the biggest struggle in my game is my ball trajectory. Getting a bit more assistance with that with the Apex vs the Pros made it a no brainer, especially since the shaft was a relatively unknown for me. Now, given the Apex Pros with an open book of shafts, such as the KBS Tour 90 that would give me a higher launch and better ball flight, then it would make me think twice.

Glad to see you fellas will be hitting these soon!

Toad if you have them I want to hit them in Indy and I hope the weather changes before then.

I can't wait to hear y'alls feedback on these. These irons are seriously intriguing to me - I love the feel and the control I have with my CMB's, but I definitely wouldn't mind a little help on some of my less than perfect shots with the 6i and (especially) the 4 and 5 irons. I don't play a 4i now, but I could be talked into changing my mind on that with an easier to launch 4i.

I'm so excited for you guys getting your orders tomorrow. Can't wait for the feedback that trickles in on them.

Good news then, guess the pros won't be too far behind!

Back