Niblick Unboxing & Thread

Hi guys, a little background, this par 3 hole that i can never land was crushed with my 42 niblick the other day - 7 feet from the hole.

Question. what is the proper grip for a 9 o'clock swing with the niblick? just a putter grip? or what?

Also, i find to be less accurate for the same distance with a chipping stance than with a putting stance, what do you guys prefer for a stance?

Merged this thread with teh Niblick thread.

For my chipping with the Niblick, I use it as I would a putter as far as stance goes, but with my weight slightly further to the front.

Merged this thread with teh Niblick thread.

For my chipping with the Niblick, I use it as I would a putter as far as stance goes, but with my weight slightly further to the front.

ok, what about grips for chipping/full swing?

ok, what about grips for chipping/full swing?

I use the same grip I do with all my shots. My only grip that changes is when putting. Even chipping with a Niblick, despite it being a putter stance or stroke, i use a regular grip.

For a 9 o'clock swing I use the same grip as with an iron, but the Niblick shaft is shorter and will be more upright. For short chips, my preference is to use a chipping stance (weight and shaft slightly forward, left wrist and shaft straight) with a putting stroke (no wrist hinge), except that I'll "thump" the grass. When I try to chip with a putting stance (weight even and shaft upright) I often get under the ball and it weakly pops up.
Hi guys, a little background, this par 3 hole that i can never land was crushed with my 42 niblick the other day - 7 feet from the hole.

Question. what is the proper grip for a 9 o'clock swing with the niblick? just a putter grip? or what?

Also, i find to be less accurate for the same distance with a chipping stance than with a putting stance, what do you guys prefer for a stance?

I tried to read through the thread and find a good answer to this- but I couldn't find anything (or my eyes glossed over after 15 pages)...

I currently carry a 45-PW, 52-GW and 56-SW
I would love to replace the GW (and I think I will add the 56 niblick instead of replacing the SW)
Should I be looking at the 42 of the 49 niblick?

I don't have a very good distance/consistency with my wedges on full swings (hit them fat and under cut them). I would say I hit the GW 60-70 on a full swing. The ONLY things I use it for is for approach shots... hence why I want to replace it with something more versitile.

To replace your 52* GW, my guess would be the 49* Niblick. Some people hit the Niblicks a bit short because of the shorter upright shaft, so the distances might be close for you. In any event, the Niblick will hopefully help with consistency. Are you keeping your SW for bunkers or chipping? Beware -- after using the 49* and 56* Niblicks, you might be tempted to drop the 56* SW, and get a 42* Niblick to replace the 45* PW. Niblicks can be addicting. :)

I just played 9 holes with my sister, who hasn't played in about a year. After a round of chipping misery with most shots dribbling onto the green, I had her take a few chips with my 42* and 49* Niblicks on the practice green. Every single chip popped up into the air on onto the green. She got mad and said it's not fair that people who can afford new clubs can play better just because they have them. Then went on the rant many of we Niblick users are familiar with about how she's a "traditionalist." :)

I tried to read through the thread and find a good answer to this- but I couldn't find anything (or my eyes glossed over after 15 pages)...

I currently carry a 45-PW, 52-GW and 56-SW
I would love to replace the GW (and I think I will add the 56 niblick instead of replacing the SW)
Should I be looking at the 42 of the 49 niblick?

I don't have a very good distance/consistency with my wedges on full swings (hit them fat and under cut them). I would say I hit the GW 60-70 on a full swing. The ONLY things I use it for is for approach shots... hence why I want to replace it with something more versitile.

Last edited:
I keep looking for the 'traditionalists' playing with hickory shafted maple woods, leather wrapped golf balls, mashee's, cleeks, jiggers and rutting irons- but I can't seem to find any....

Thanks for the tip!
I plan on keeping the 56* wedge if only because I like the flexibility of being able to open or close the face, but I hit my 3 wood and 5 wood ~ 10 yards different so I'll probably just drop the 3 wood to make room.

Went to find a 56* niblik before my round today and could. After 5 different stops I decided I would just have to buy it online.

To replace your 52* GW, my guess would be the 49* Niblick. Some people hit the Niblicks a bit short because of the shorter upright shaft, so the distances might be close for you. In any event, the Niblick will hopefully help with consistency. Are you keeping your SW for bunkers or chipping? Beware -- after using the 49* and 56* Niblicks, you might be tempted to drop the 56* SW, and get a 42* Niblick to replace the 45* PW. Niblicks can be addicting. :)

I just played 9 holes with my sister, who hasn't played in about a year. After a round of chipping misery with most shots dribbling onto the green, I had her take a few chips with my 42* and 49* Niblicks on the practice green. Every single chip popped up into the air on onto the green. She got mad and said it's not fair that people who can afford new clubs can play better just because they have them. Then went on the rant many of we Niblick users are familiar with about how she's a "traditionalist." :)

Wow, I just noticed the "no irons thing" -- cool. Do you have a big gap between the 34* hybrid and 37* Niblick? By "very short chip and roll," do you mean a short time in the air with a long roll, or a short time in the air with a short roll? If you need to stop the ball, I would probably go with the 56* or 49* instead of the 37*. Seems it would be hard to keep the 37* from rolling a few feet past the hole.
First full round with all four Niblicks and I was actually able to use them all!

So far I find that they are really best for full shots or for half swings. I had originally thought that I would be using them for bump and runs quite a bit- but frankly I find that I have so much confidence with them that the full shot, or light shot, right at the pin is a much better choice. I used the 56 and 37 the most during the round. I have never been able to get a ball to come back, but with the 56 (and the 49) the ball stops within inches of where it hits- nice. When I missed it was because my aim was off. They are really point and shoot clubs, but it takes a bit of adjustment to get used to where they are pointing.

The one thing I am finding difficulty with is the very short chip and roll. The shot from just beyond the fringe. I had thought the 37 would be great for it but I can't get the roll distance right. I still do much better with low lofted hybrid. I also didn't get a chance to test the 56 from the sand- but I am sure I will find myself in a sand shot next time.

Biggest thing for me is the confidence. The wedge shot over the trap, or water, has always made me very nervous and though the Cleveland CG14 56 is a great club half the time I was sending it sideways or waaay to long. With these I know I am going to get a nice arc and perfect distance.

First full round with all four Niblicks and I was actually able to use them all!

So far I find that they are really best for full shots or for half swings. I had originally thought that I would be using them for bump and runs quite a bit- but frankly I find that I have so much confidence with them that the full shot, or light shot, right at the pin is a much better choice. I used the 56 and 37 the most during the round. I have never been able to get a ball to come back, but with the 56 (and the 49) the ball stops within inches of where it hits- nice. When I missed it was because my aim was off. They are really point and shoot clubs, but it takes a bit of adjustment to get used to where they are pointing.

The one thing I am finding difficulty with is the very short chip and roll. The shot from just beyond the fringe. I had thought the 37 would be great for it but I can't get the roll distance right. I still do much better with low lofted hybrid. I also didn't get a chance to test the 56 from the sand- but I am sure I will find myself in a sand shot next time.

Biggest thing for me is the confidence. The wedge shot over the trap, or water, has always made me very nervous and though the Cleveland CG14 56 is a great club half the time I was sending it sideways or waaay to long. With these I know I am going to get a nice arc and perfect distance.

Welcome to the 4 niblick club my friend. I am a little different that you in that I use the 42* most of the time. I find it and the 37* very easy to hit full shots with and the 56* I use out of the sand. I am still, like yourself, trying to get a grip with these clubs with touch shots around the green but I gotta think that will come in time. I am tying to get my butt out to the course ore regularly than once a month as I have been because only with course play will it get better.

I have the 49 degree. Used it on 6 rounds so far. Play it out of wet sand, but like my 56 or 60 CG 15s for dry sand. Love it around the greens and for 40 yards and in. Further than that I prefer the traditional wedge.

Wow, I just noticed the "no irons thing" -- cool. Do you have a big gap between the 34* hybrid and 37* Niblick? By "very short chip and roll," do you mean a short time in the air with a long roll, or a short time in the air with a short roll? If you need to stop the ball, I would probably go with the 56* or 49* instead of the 37*. Seems it would be hard to keep the 37* from rolling a few feet past the hole.

No gap. You can see I am using the Sumo2 H's at 30 and 34. Those are true replacement irons with the same length shafts. The 37 Niblick plays like a light 8 iron for me so there is a slightly larger gap than would be between a normal 7-8 but nothing that affects my game at all. I am finding a natural progression from the 7H to the 37 Nibklick without problems. The main differnce with the Hybrids is that my shots are all way up in the air now- straighter and more solid hits- but way up. I can see where playing very windy conditions might cause problems over the long term. If that happens I have a set of great MX-950 Mizuno's on the shelf which I can put back into play. So far though, I am pretty happy with the set up.

It might be a bit easier to get used to for me, as my last set of Irons were the Clevelend Xli's, which are all semi-hybrid designed. (I still have them in the closest as well!) My only complaint with them was the 9-PW clubs that I didn't like the feel of. Going with full hybrids and the Niblicks gives me the best of both worlds- at least that is the theory.

The fringe shot is the little jump with the longer roll. I love using the 25* Hybrid for that shot, but thought maybe the Niblick would be good. But like I said I am having a hard time judging the roll. For now I will stick with the Hybrid. But Anything between 125-30 yards is now Niblick country.

Rhino, I agree the touch shots are a struggle. But I am sure its just a matter are getting the feel right. Donno about you but when I practice with them on that shot I hit them well (no shanks or blades), I just can't get the distance consistant. I think maybe it's getting used the putting stance for this shot.

Plus I am barely managing to get out twice a month. Have to get in more rounds if I am going to get better!

I am in the process of spending some birthday money and I am contemplating buying a niblick or two. I'm just not sure which one(s) to buy. I have a set of Ping G10 irons (4-UW) and i have a pair of old Ram Tom Watson wedges (55* and 60*) that desperately need to be replaced. I have thought about getting a 56* Niblick to replace one of the wedges and possibly a 60* CG15 to replace the other wedge. The loft of my UW is 50*.

Given this information, should I get the 56* niblick and the 60* wedge, or should I get some other combination of clubs? Would the 49* niblick be a better fit for me?

Any thoughts on the matter would be appreciated.

You could go in any direction and it really depends on what you plan to use them for. If you are getting a 60* wedge, I would go with a lower lofted Niblick, because the 56* Niblck will fly a similar distance on full shots.

I agree with what JB said about the 56* distance. If you have trouble out of the sand, a lot of people love the 56* for that (but a few including myself prefer "normal" wedges for sand). That said, normal wedges can be toed in and opened in ways Niblicks can't. On the other hand, Niblicks are much easier to chip and pitch with. So if you have space in your bag, some people double up on the distances with Niblicks and wedges.

If you're comfortable with using your 55* and 60* around the green, you might think about the 49* Niblick, which would likely be a full swing replacement for your 50* UW. It's operates in between the 42*, which is great for chipping, and the 56*, which can really pop the ball up around the green. But don't be surprised if you soon find yourself shopping for a second Niblick -- they canbe quite addicting.

Last edited:
+1 again. I play a 49 Niblick, 56*, and 60* wedges. This give me a very consistant distance gap. The 49 replaced my 52* wedge, they hit the same distance for some reason (shorter shaft in the Niblick maybe?). I also use the 49 around the green when I can. If you get a 56, maybe think about a 62 or 64 wedge if you're still looking for something below that? It's all about the gaps... and what you're comfortable with.

I'm looking at getting a new set of the Cleveland CG7 BPs soon and am also looking hard at a Niblick.

I hit my irons pretty long and saw that one person hits his 56* about 80 yards and other people state that they use there 56* Niblick for EVERY shot 50 yards and in from the green(including Sands).

What do you guys think of a set up like this?

4-9 CG7 BPs
56* Niblick (Replace ALL wedges, PW/DW/SW)

I'm thinking I could use my 9 iron for shots over 80 yards and then use the 56* Niblick for everything 80 yards and in? I understand its probably not the "BEST" thing to do, but I love the idea of only having one club 80 yards in. I think it could really make my skills that much better if I am using the exact same club for all shots(just different strokes).

So what do you guys think? Would save me a good amount of money as well HAHA

It's really a matter of different strokes for different folks. Some people prefer to use a single wedge for all types and lengths of shots. My preferences in order are (a) use a full swing, or (b) run it low. So for me, going from a 9 iron to only a 56* Niblick wouldn't work. But buying that 56* Niblick might be a good place for you to start your experimenting.

btw - buying new clubs never results in saving money. :)
I'm looking at getting a new set of the Cleveland CG7 BPs soon and am also looking hard at a Niblick.

I hit my irons pretty long and saw that one person hits his 56* about 80 yards and other people state that they use there 56* Niblick for EVERY shot 50 yards and in from the green(including Sands).

What do you guys think of a set up like this?

4-9 CG7 BPs
56* Niblick (Replace ALL wedges, PW/DW/SW)

I'm thinking I could use my 9 iron for shots over 80 yards and then use the 56* Niblick for everything 80 yards and in? I understand its probably not the "BEST" thing to do, but I love the idea of only having one club 80 yards in. I think it could really make my skills that much better if I am using the exact same club for all shots(just different strokes).

So what do you guys think? Would save me a good amount of money as well HAHA

So maybe do 9-PW + 56* Niblick then huh

Oh and your 100% correct about then money thing. After I typed my first message I started thinking about how I could probably get a new putter with the money I would save from leaving out a few clubs HAHAHA

JB and/or Niblick Users:

I just purchased a 42 with the action lite graphite shaft for the wife to assist with her chipping/bunker shots. I also gave it a go and really enjoyed how easy and precise this stick is for chipping and full shots. I chipped in twice from approx 15 ft during our round. So I took this out to the range today and hit 10 balls to the 100 yd marker and I hit everyone nice and high and within a 10 ft circle, some closer. I lasered the yardage from where we hit that day and it was exactly 120 yds. (same dis as my pw). If I were to get the steel shaft 42 is the rule of thumb that my yardage would be about 5 yds less? would the ball flight change any? Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jack

I dont notice any distance difference between GG's graphite and mine.

Thanks JB

Really liked her 42 Niblick and I'm thinking of replacing my Vokey 54° with a 56° Niblick. I generally use my 60° out of the bunker and thought the 56° Niblick would be a very nice addition to the bag for around the greens and for 100 yds in (my pitch is the worst part of my short game). I can see that the Niblick could help me reduce my score and I can use all the help I can get.

I think the consensus here is the 42* is everyone's favorite. It is mine and I have all 4 :clapp:

How far do you hit your 37* / 42* Niblicks?

So if one was to only buy 1 Niblick to try out, what loft would you get? The 56*?

So if one was to only buy 1 Niblick to try out, what loft would you get? The 56*?

That is the one I game TH. I find it to be the most versatile. But it really depends on what someone is going to use it for. I like the 56* because I can still chip with it if needed. But it also helps me out quite a bit with the shorter side of the greens, bunkers if needed, trouble spots, etc...

Back