Golf Lie Angle - fitting

ddelise

D_Money
Reaction score
Handicap
I am in the market for a new set of irons.

I have hit the Nike Machspeed, and really like the forgiveness on off center, especially toe hits (my main miss).

So yesterday I went in for a fitting. The specs on the standard Nike Machspeed 6-iron is 37.75", 63.5*, and uses a 90 gram TT Dynalite shaft.

I was fit into 1* upright, and was right on the borderline between standard length and the Nike standard length (which is a little longer than standard). This 1* upright fitting concerns me for 2 reasons.
*** 1. The club is already at stock very upright.
*** 2. To test, I also hit off of the lie board with a Mizuno MX-100 fitting club. With this club, I also fit into 1* upright. However, this club is a good 2.5* flatter than the Nike.

So, for each club, one being 63.5* and the other being 61*, each of them showed impact 1* towards the toe. Help!

As a final, complicating factor, using the Mizuno shaft optimizer I was fit into KBS Tour X-stiff, soft stepped. I was unable to hit this with the Nike. Would this shaft (due to different tow droop for instance) show a different lie angle during fitting?

Let me know your thoughts and suggestions.

Thanks.

You establish your base line for lie angle with your static measurments. I would need your wrist to floor and height to get a base line. Be careful just looking at lie tape to make the tweeks on a fitting. If you have a slight over the top move or just are a little steep on the way down it doesn't matter what lie you put in your hands you will see toe heavy marks.

Since you did that with a 61* and a 63.5* the safest and best bet is to fit you to your static numbers.
Hope that helps and makes sense.

Thanks for the response.

I am 5'10" and on the wide side (220 lbs), and the wrist to floor measurement was 35".

I do have a slight OTT move. In the simulator, I was hitting dead straight shots. I was able to hit these Machspeeds outside at a demo, and had a similar experience - very straight with a slight draw (unusual for me) if anything).

By the way, I am in Tampa too and had my fitting at the Edwin Watts at Dale Mabry.

Next time you want to be fit drive a couple miles farther north and come see me. I am in the back of the Golfsmith on Dale Mabry.

Back