The Golf Chick Project

Golf Chick

Golf Fashionista
Reaction score
Handicap
Decreasing
I thought I'd start a thread about my progress and its good to get feedback from you all as well!!

So, as some of you know, I just switched golf instructors and WOW what a difference. Had my first lesson last night. He video taped my swing and showed me what I was doing wrong and showed me some of his students swings, and its significantly different. Last night, we worked on my swing and just getting my arms connected to my body, no more of this chicken wing stuff :nono:

First, he had me work on my grip. Apparently, I had too strong of a grip and because of that, whenever I started my backswing, I had a closed clubface. So now with a weaker grip (and also different hand positioning) my backswing has an open clubface. We just worked on the 3/4 swing. I hit a few balls, nothing too exciting as I wasn't trying to kill it, just nice easy 3/4 swings through the ball and I stopped right in front of me, so I didn't have a follow through. Just by doing this, I was able to get 50 yards without even trying haa haa (don't laugh, this is a good start for me!). And apparently, we have a lot of work to do :(

He even showed me a few tricks to do to make sure that I'm setup in the correct position and the right distance away from the ball, right bend in the knees, etc. Pretty neat stuff.

I really like my new instructor. He's been with a few of the LPGA players and a few that are on the future's tour.

Until next week :clapp:

keep up the good work GC!
I thought I'd start a thread about my progress and its good to get feedback from you all as well!!

So, as some of you know, I just switched golf instructors and WOW what a difference. Had my first lesson last night. He video taped my swing and showed me what I was doing wrong and showed me some of his students swings, and its significantly different. Last night, we worked on my swing and just getting my arms connected to my body, no more of this chicken wing stuff :nono:

First, he had me work on my grip. Apparently, I had too strong of a grip and because of that, whenever I started my backswing, I had a closed clubface. So now with a weaker grip (and also different hand positioning) my backswing has an open clubface. We just worked on the 3/4 swing. I hit a few balls, nothing too exciting as I wasn't trying to kill it, just nice easy 3/4 swings through the ball and I stopped right in front of me, so I didn't have a follow through. Just by doing this, I was able to get 50 yards without even trying haa haa (don't laugh, this is a good start for me!). And apparently, we have a lot of work to do :(

He even showed me a few tricks to do to make sure that I'm setup in the correct position and the right distance away from the ball, right bend in the knees, etc. Pretty neat stuff.

I really like my new instructor. He's been with a few of the LPGA players and a few that are on the future's tour.

Until next week :clapp:

nice! I think my lesson was also about the same thing.

are the videos of your swing confidential or will you post them? :D

I actually don't have the videos as they're on his doo-hickey machine :) But he said in a few weeks he'll record me again and we'll see how the change went (hopefully there will be a change!!) :D

I'll see if I can get them from him and share with you all :wink:

I forgot to mention, he had this handy dandy mini golf club thingie with that grip that positions your hands correctly. And I was using that and you're supposed to hear like a whipping sound (something similar) when its swung right on the downswing. It was fun :) And its nice and short too so in your peripheral vision, you can see the clubhead to see if its open, closed or square.

That is so great that you like the new instructor. That can make all the difference in the world with both your progress and confidence. I look forward to hearing your updates :smile:

It looks like you've found an instructor that you feel comfortable with, that is half the battle. The more you trust your swing coach the more you'll be open to their program for you.

That's awesome, GC! It's great that you found someone that you feel good with. Let us know how you're progressing along.

Very cool GC. Glad to hear things are working out with the new coach. I can't wait to hear the progress report.

That's awesome! Keep up the good work!

(I love these kinds of threads and the positive stuff people are doing.)

awesome news GC! comfort level is huge when trying to learn anything. keep up the hard work and get us those videos so we can see that new swing before you hit the LPGA tour and forget about us! :golf2:

awesome news GC! comfort level is huge when trying to learn anything. keep up the hard work and get us those videos so we can see that new swing before you hit the LPGA tour and forget about us! :golf2:

If anything...it'll probably be the Senior Tour :laughing: j/k

Enjoy the journey to improvement.

I think creating a thread is a great idea, we can offer support when it gets hard or you stumble a little, and offer congratulations when you achieve your goals. By the way what are your goals? To shoot a certain score, a certain handicap, I think that would be good to capture in this thread as well.

Enjoy the journey to improvement.

I think creating a thread is a great idea, we can offer support when it gets hard or you stumble a little, and offer congratulations when you achieve your goals. By the way what are your goals? To shoot a certain score, a certain handicap, I think that would be good to capture in this thread as well.

Well, since I'm starting all the way from the beginning, my goal for these next 6 weeks with my new instructor is to become a consistent ball striker. That's my first goal for now. And I'm sure I'll have another goal once I get this one accomplished :)

Sounds like you're on the right path. Really looking forward to reading how things go.

TIPS

TIPS

Here are a few tips that I learned last night from my brand new instructor who is absolutely awesome to make sure you are set up correctly.

Tip #1: To see if you are the correct distance from the ball to your address position, you get a club and use that as a ruler (type of thing). You put it against your side, from the shoulders down and everything should line up with your club. The club should line up your shoulder to the balls of your feet. I can see this image in my head but I may not be explaining it right, but I'm sure you all get the idea :good:

Tip #2: To see if you have the right flex in your knees, while still at your address and completed tip #1, if you are a righty, remove your right hand off the club and and put it on your right leg, it should rest just above your right knee. You all get the idea :good:

Tip #3: To get the right amount of head tilt/shoulder tilt, after you've checked your knee flex with your right hand, place the right hand on the outside of your right knee, voila :)
You get the idea :good:

I suggest you don't do this yourself, but yet have someone help you :)

Thank you all for reading helpful tips for the golf setup!

congrats on finding a coach you really like!! Keep us posted on how it goes for you.

Its funny how addicting this game can become! Im glad you found a good instructor, I have not been able to find one that fits my learning style, as it appears to be difficult to do. Im glad you found it! Good luck!!!

It took me a while to give up my previous instructor and venture out to another one. But I'm glad I made the move and it was totally worth it!! But my current instructor is exactly what I've been looking for and needing in an instructor. Very basic and hands on, we were using a hula hoop in the beginning :)

I look forward to the day when I get mad and frustrated at him, that means I'm doing something right :wink:

Golf is all about small changes! Well, since my first lesson last Tuesday, I've been trying to keep my arms together through the swing and have a complete follow through. We went to our Par 3 courses near us over the weekend, so I was putting all the stuff I learned into practice, wow, I hit worse than when I had my chicken wing swing!! But I guess because I'm working on changing my swing, it won't be great when I practice it, but I was 31 over on Saturday and 26 over on Sunday - ON A PAR 3 COURSE :nono: I guess it will just take some more practice and working with my new instructor. I can't wait until tomorrow's lesson. I'm hoping it won't rain, I'm keeping my fingers crossed that we'll have our lesson tomorrow.

GC, its going to take hundreds if not thousands of ball strikes to ingrain new tweaks into your swing memory. I've been tweaking my swing based on some recommendations from my pro, and even after going to the range every day (except this weekend) for a week and a half, I'm still working on it.

Be patient though. The payoff is seeing that ball streak off straight downrange. Beautiful sight to see!

I have lesson #2 tonight!! I'm doing my anti-rain dance since it doesn't look to good outside. I'm hoping I still have a lesson.

Rain, rain, go away!! Come back when I don't have a golf lesson that day!! :wink:

You go girl! Sounds like you are getting the ground fundamentals to build a solid swing around. Proud of ya!

I plan on bringing one of those " doo-hickey machines" to Blairsville to put the boys on,,, Should be interesting :eek:)

P.S. You must be from Southern California talking "doo-hickey" and stuff like that. Good show GC :eek:)

You go girl! Sounds like you are getting the ground fundamentals to build a solid swing around. Proud of ya!

I plan on bringing one of those " doo-hickey machines" to Blairsville to put the boys on,,, Should be interesting :eek:)

P.S. You must be from Southern California talking "doo-hickey" and stuff like that. Good show GC :eek:)

Unfortunately, I'm born and raised a so-cal gal!! Look for any chance to get out :D

Hopefully I'll have something to post either tonight or tomorrow about my lesson :clapp:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! My golf lesson has been cancelled :crying:

Back