2013 Fitness & Nutrition Thread With Coach Beard

Status
Not open for further replies.
After virtually having no energy and not sleeping for almost 2 weeks, I got a good nights sleep last night and woke up at 5:45 and rode the bike for 30 minutes and did some yoga. Feeling really rejuvenated this morning.

Yea, I still remember those days... somehow we manage to get through it! Great work Dev!

Yes that is correct in actual meat packing sessions (we all know we grow not while lifting but during recovery so I use the above phrase not literally) but most people cannot handle the load needed without deep slow twitch fiber and tendon strengthening first. After 10 x10 cycle I used to take a week off then do 6 week cycles of 8x8 then 5x5. Increasing the % of max each cycle and hoping to increase during the 6 weeks. But the most important that we tend to ignore is the FACT that rest and nutrition is more important than the actuall pounding of weights

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Yes. We agree. Rest and nutrition is VERY important. I am not a believer in 7 meals a day though. I have been taught that too much protein is useless. I try to keep 25% of caloric intake from protein. I stay away from starches early in the day. I am not scared of carbs either.

Yes. We agree. Rest and nutrition is VERY important. I am not a believer in 7 meals a day though. I have been taught that too much protein is useless. I try to keep 25% of caloric intake from protein. I stay away from starches early in the day. I am not scared of carbs either.

Great thoughts my dude. That is one thing my wife is big on- that many people overdo the protein.

Thats the paint is peeled off the wall in the bathrooms of most gyms. On average a body can absorb 30 to 35 grams of protein every 3 hours, if you drink a shake with 75 grams of protein we know where excess is coming out lol. Plus to much protein can be hard on the liver

Great thoughts my dude. That is one thing my wife is big on- that many people overdo the protein.

Thats the paint is peeled off the wall in the bathrooms of most gyms. On average a body can absorb 30 to 35 grams of protein every 3 hours, if you drink a shake with 75 grams of protein we know where excess is coming out lol. Plus to much protein can be hard on the liver

Right, plus its excess calories. Which doesn't all come out- simply turns into fat.

It's such a misconception. Bodybuilding culture has created some awful habits in general. That is one that seeps into too many minds. Protein is good. But not that good.

It's such a misconception. Bodybuilding culture has created some awful habits in general. That is one that seeps into too many minds. Protein is good. But not that good.

Totally true. One of my favorite quotes about eating is from Michael Pollen - one of the fathers of the slow food movement. "Eat food, not too much, mostly plants" I don't eat with that in mind EVERY meal, but I do try to make it something I follow regularly.

Every post-golf season I slack off, and it annoys me more and more every year. Time to change it up. it's going to be a good off-season. Conditioning, a bit of strength training, and I really, really want to work on flexibility. Not as easy to swing the way I did at 20 anymore.

How's everyone else doing? I want to see Ricky again. The transition has to be insane. Keep it up dude.

Every post-golf season I slack off, and it annoys me more and more every year. Time to change it up. it's going to be a good off-season. Conditioning, a bit of strength training, and I really, really want to work on flexibility. Not as easy to swing the way I did at 20 anymore.

How's everyone else doing? I want to see Ricky again. The transition has to be insane. Keep it up dude.

The dude is crushing it.

If you list weight you could hide behind the flag stick.

It's not about losing weight. Plus, dumping pudge and adding muscle, for me, typically adds weight.

Which isn't easy as people think. If you are a hard gainer it can be just as frustrating

It's not about losing weight. Plus, dumping pudge and adding muscle, for me, typically adds weight.

Good. I would be worried about you in strong breezes. Btw. Some extra strength on your frame would be darn impressive and deadly.

Good. I would be worried about you in strong breezes. Btw. Some extra strength on your frame would be darn impressive and deadly.

So true. Length would be scarier than it already is.

A stronger Canadan would probably over compress a ball bearing.

hhahaha and would make his beard even that more intimidating.

So true. Length would be scarier than it already is.

I think proper transitions would improve my distance more than just building muscle would, but I definitely agree that I've got room to improve.

What I want to do, is condition my body so I don't feel as tired after a round or two. Being lean is a great benefit to golf, but having that added strength is where I want to be for 2014. Nothing crazy, just more than what I have.

I think proper transitions would improve my distance more than just building muscle would, but I definitely agree that I've got room to improve.

What I want to do, is condition my body so I don't feel as tired after a round or two. Being lean is a great benefit to golf, but having that added strength is where I want to be for 2014. Nothing crazy, just more than what I have.

I love that this is your goal. VERY reachable and reasonable.

My suggestion is compound exercises and some cardio

I love that this is your goal. VERY reachable and reasonable.
My suggestion is compound exercises and some cardio

Thanks dude. I've got a bike and a treadmill here, and I have high hopes to get on one or the other 4-5 days of the week. For the weight based stuff, I've got a bench in the basement that can be adjusted between flat and incline which I am excited to use. I also REALLY want to get into some band based explosive exercises rather than strictly weight stuff.

Also, Yoga. So so so so much yoga. Time to get nice and limber.

Thanks dude. I've got a bike and a treadmill here, and I have high hopes to get on one or the other 4-5 days of the week. For the weight based stuff, I've got a bench in the basement that can be adjusted between flat and incline which I am excited to use. I also REALLY want to get into some band based explosive exercises rather than strictly weight stuff.

Nice dude. The yoga thing is my goal too. Flexibility has gone south over the last few years

I would add some medicine ball training and replace some of the standard aerobic training with interval based training. My personal belief is, for overall athletic performance, interval based training done correctly can't be beat. And in my experience it is much easier to keep hard earned muscle doing that rather than long term cardio training. Again, it's all about goals.

You are correct coach, it is easy for me to get to 150, I look like a tweeker at that weight lol. Getting to a lean 170 is very hard for me!!!
Before my surgery it took me 4 years to get where I wanted to be.
I am hoping by this spring to be back where is I was before surgery, it is hard, but I am to stubborn to quit :)

Which isn't easy as people think. If you are a hard gainer it can be just as frustrating

Try Hot Yoga if you get a chance. I have been doing it once a week and it is awesome. My flexibility is already better. And no kidding I think I burn more fat in an hour of hot yoga than I do in 2 hours in the gym!

In martial arts they teach that "power" comes from speed and technique. In science power = mass x speed. It all makes sense. I would focus on squats, deadlifts ( both can be done with the barbell from your bench) to build lower body power and stability. Pull ups and core training for upper body for transitioning the power from your base to arms. And then upper chest, shoulders, and arms so you dont look so lopsided lol. Stretching constantly to maintain flexibility will be very important too

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back