China Cat>Rider

Dazed & Cornfused
Reaction score
What is everyone's height and their putter length they currently use? I bought a new putter that is considerably shorter than the one I have used since I first started playing. I notice a lot of pros seem to bend over quite far...some even looking like they are at a 90 degree angle. I am thinking this shorter putter may force me into adopting a better putting stance.

What is everyone's height and their putter length they currently use? I bought a new putter that is considerably shorter than the one I have used since I first started playing. I notice a lot of pros seem to bend over quite far...some even looking like they are at a 90 degree angle. I am thinking this shorter putter may force me into adopting a better putting stance.

You may want to listen to the latest episode of the Greenside that we just put up about an hour ago. Sean from Putterzone goes into great detail about putter length and what it means for people.

My last three putters were 33". That seems to be the perfect length for me - I don't have to bend down much over, and my hands hang down naturally.

Edit: I'm 5' 9" tall.

Last edited:
My last three putters were 33". That seems to be the perfect length for me - I don't have to bend down much over, and my hands hang down naturally.

I am thinking about getting my putter cut down to 33" or even as low as 31". I am only 5'0" so a shorter putter might work better for me. The 35" one are almost like a belly putter for me.

You may want to listen to the latest episode of the Greenside that we just put up about an hour ago. Sean from Putterzone goes into great detail about putter length and what it means for people.

Thanks JB...I will check it out

How tall are you?

I am 6 ft tall and 34' from wrist to ground.

Ted at Seemore recommended a 35 inch putter for me (he said maybe 34-1/2). I was surprised at first because I was pretty bent over with my putting stance and really gripped down on my old putter. After reading some tips on Putterzone and the Seemore website I see why he recommended the longer putter. Haven't listened to the show yet, so I won't say anything else until I do.

more like a booby putter.....lol

I am thinking about getting my putter cut down to 33" or even as low as 31". I am only 5'0" so a shorter putter might work better for me. The 35" one are almost like a belly putter for me.

wrist to floor might give you a little more help, but it requires people to do a little more work

agreed. I was just looking for a general idea of height to length.

Mine is a 35 after using a 34. I found that the more upright I stood the better I kept the 'triangle' intact when putting. Plus I can always choke down a little if I need to in the event I need a little more control

As mentioned on the radio show, getting fit with just measurements means very little. It will all come down to your putter stroke and how it works in relation to said measurements.

As mentioned on the radio show, getting fit with just measurements means very little. It will all come down to your putter stroke and how it works in relation to said measurements.

I absolutely agree with this.

Over the years I have gone from a "Jack Nicklaus", hunched over style of putting complete with a strongly bent right wrist and "piston-like" swing, to a much more upright, straight-armed style (think Tiger Woods) and yet throughout all of these styles and changes my putter length has always remained 35-inches. So measurement alone is not really going to be of much help in determining the right putter length because how you hold a putter and how it feels in your hands as well as how it feels with your setup is far more important than just raw numbers.

-JP

I was fitted and currently use a 33” putter. I am 5’ 11” and prior to my fitting I was using a 35” putter.

Now that I listened to the show I will finish my thought.

I am standing much more upright now than before, so the 35' is perfect length for me. Pat O'brien, the putting instructor that Seemore works with, advocates a more upright stance. Since I decided to try one of their putters, I thought I'd try their method too. It is very different than I'm used too, but I'm seeing signs that it will work better for me.

This may not be word-for-word, but I read something from Pat said a marble dropped from your eye should come to the heel of the putter. I tried this last night with my old putting stroke and it dropped 2 inches on the other side of the ball. I was very hunched over and Pat says that this can cause you to get wristy.

Anyway, as was already said, optimal length seems to depend on the putting method that you employ.

I'm 5'11 and I feel most comfortable with a 33' putter. I like being able to feel like my hands sit at the very end of the grip while still hanging naturally.

my other putter is 35". I have always been a very good putter with it. the new putter is 33" (got it on ebay and never asked what length it was, duh) now I'm concerned my excitement over getting the putter I always wanted was premature...

What kind of putter, China? Sorry, I'm can't remember.

I am about 5'8" and I use a 35 inch putter. That is what I have always used and I don't choke up either. I like my stroke with the 35 and I feel comfortable with it.

What kind of putter, China? Sorry, I'm can't remember.

not sure if I even said what it was. new one is a Yes Tracy II. got it dirt cheap but I'm afraid it's just too short. I may have to just sell it and find a 35"

Maybe you can have it reshafted if the length is a problem? Might be worth contacting Yes to avoid the sell/buy hassle.

I am going to give it a few rounds before I make a final verdict. My recent research is showing that a lot of people seem to be using shorter putters. I don't know if this is just a new fad or there is truth behind it. If nothing else it can be the start of my putter collection.

I am going to give it a few rounds before I make a final verdict. My recent research is showing that a lot of people seem to be using shorter putters. I don't know if this is just a new fad or there is truth behind it. If nothing else it can be the start of my putter collection.

Not to sound redundant again, but In the radio show today, Sean answers that question too. it is about tour players using shorter putter for the most part.

Not to sound redundant again, but In the radio show today, Sean answers that question too. it is about tour players using shorter putter for the most part.

I gotcha JB. I can't listen to it at work so will will have to wait until tonight when I get home.

China, how tall are you? Do you have to crouch down more than you'd like with the Yes! putter?

Back