The strange group ahead of you

TwoSolitudes

Swingin' for the fences
Reaction score
So I arrived at the course about an hour early, to warm up a bit. Gathered in front of the tee box are 12 guys from Japan (or maybe Korea). They are all eating breakfast suhsi rolls and putting togehter rolls of 10 euro bills. They all have Yamaha and other high end Japanese cubs with exotic shafts in them- XXXX stiff.

I pay my fees and ask what is going on. The club lady says they are having a mini-tournement of skins for 100 euro a hole per player! And the course let them in for a 630am start- an hour and a half before the next tee time.

As I walk over to the range I watch three of them tee off. Pop up. Water ball. Woods. hmmm...

At 830 our tee off time comes and we are away. At every hole we can see one of these guys fishing out a ball from the water or searching in the woods. By the 7th we had caught up to these guys and the for the rest of the round we were waiting on every tee. Wating a long long time.

On 9 I was getting ready to drive and one of these guys walked out to the middle of the fairway and stood there staring. None of them spoke English (or Dutch or French) and attempts by us to get them to hurry up were met with laughter. I have never seen a worse group of players. We couldn't even play through becasue there were 3 groups of them and they were all horrible.

On 18 there were- no joke- 10 of us (4 groups) sitting around the tee box waiting for the fairway to clear. I guess the club thought a 90 minute head start would have been enough. They must have paid a lot of extra to not be bothered by the marshalls. Pretty funny- unless you had to finish up in less than 5 hours!

100 euro a hole! Hell I would have cleared a few 1000 euro off them easily.

EDIT- it occurs to me while writing this, that it must have been some kind of corporate thing. Maybe they were all trying 'not to beat the boss'. :confused2:

I see that out here in SoCal also. Generally it is Asian golfers who tee off from the black tees who really should be down not at the blues but the white tees. They are just awful and I never understand why they feel they need to hit from there. Like you said there is alot of gambling going on. Another thing they do that drives me absolutely nuts is they all go to each others ball in a pack, instaed of each player going to their own ball and play ready golf. Getting behind them adds at least an hour to the round.

I don't think nationality has anything to do with this. The people who play the wrong tees are self-indulged people who only care about playing from where the pros play and nothing about the people they are holding up. They could also be playing from the men's regular tees when they should really be playing from the forward tees. Not sure why this thread is insinuating a person's nationality has anything to do with having an all about me attitude.

The BF and I had played a course a while ago (this was when we gave up and just went home after 2 hours and still didn't finish the front 9) and it was because of the group in front of the several groups in front of us. There was a group of 8 guys, and they were betting per hole and it was $100/hole, so that's what delayed our play. So we just left. Not worth complaining, we'll just never go back to that course again...

Another thing they do that drives me absolutely nuts is they all go to each others ball in a pack, instaed of each player going to their own ball and play ready golf.

LOL! That's exactly what they were doing!

I don't think nationality has anything to do with this. The people who play the wrong tees are self-indulged people who only care about playing from where the pros play and nothing about the people they are holding up. They could also be playing from the men's regular tees when they should really be playing from the forward tees. Not sure why this thread is insinuating a person's nationality has anything to do with having an all about me attitude.

I was not suggesting it was a nationality thing at all that is the cause pf this problem. When reading again I probably could of left off the ethnic type of the people involved as it really had nothing to do with the story. So on that point you are correct smalls!!

sushi for breakfast? I am going to have to try that

Not insinutating that at all. Just stating who they were. If they had all been Jamacians or Russians or Fijians I would have ssid that. The story is about this group and this group only.

i played behind a group of guys(nationalities mixed) that insisted on playing from the tips...
my home course from the tips is 7200...
at first my buddies were impressed... wow... long ballers... this will be cool to watch...
only one of them remotely had the distance(even tho he didnt have the accuracy)
the other 3 were teeing off on par3's... even the short ones... with driver...
we were behind them the whole round... watching them lose ball after ball after ball... it was brutal

at my home course there is always koreans in a group that we come across and they are pretty good but slow. but it is not like they are out of place with the hyundai plant in town

i played behind a group of guys(nationalities mixed) that insisted on playing from the tips...
at first my buddies were impressed... wow... long ballers... this will be cool to watch...
we were behind them the whole round... watching them lose ball after ball after ball... it was brutal

The moral of the story is 1) play the right tees, 2) play ready golf and don't hold anyone up and 3) Asians are awesome... sorry had to throw that in there so I can represent. :D

The moral of the story is 1) play the right tees, 2) play ready golf and don't hold anyone up and 3) Asians are awesome... sorry had to throw that in there so I can represent. :D

Why thank you :smile:

haha were you quietly following behind, reaping the benefits of a series of freshly lost golf balls?

haha were you quietly following behind, reaping the benefits of a series of freshly lost golf balls?

if only i had a really long ball retriever... i swear their balls were commiting suicide on purpose cuz they didnt wanna be embarassed at not being able to reach the fw after their 5th shot off the tee... i think i heard the first ball yell "follow me boys!"

When I showed up as a single one day last fall the pro hooked me up with two single-digit handicaps who insisted on playing from the tips where the rating is 74.9/144. They had never played the course before, so I politely suggested they move up but they insisted they belonged on the back tees. It that wasn't bad enough, they were playing a deadly-serious stroke-play match. Also, neither one was willing to hit a provisional, so four or five times we spent the full five minutes searching for a ball before one of them would march back to the tee and hit again. We finished in 6 hours. There's nothing like watching a guy plumb-bob a 3-foot putt for 9 on a par three.

When I showed up as a single one day last fall the pro hooked me up with two single-digit handicaps who insisted on playing from the tips where the rating is 74.9/144. They had never played the course before, so I politely suggested they move up but they insisted they belonged on the back tees. It that wasn't bad enough, they were playing a deadly-serious stroke-play match. Also, neither one was willing to hit a provisional, so four or five times we spent the full five minutes searching for a ball before one of them would march back to the tee and hit again. We finished in 6 hours. There's nothing like watching a guy plumb-bob a 3-foot putt for 9 on a par three.

Stuff like that would make me go on ahead. Surely after a couple of searches and re-tees you were a full hole behind?

I think the moral is that golf courses, like most other businesses, only care about the almighty dollar. They are blind to the long-term benefits of customer care and are slaves to the bottom line.

Stuff like that would make me go on ahead. Surely after a couple of searches and re-tees you were a full hole behind?

We had the course pretty much to ourselves. I could have broken off at a couple of points, but it was somewhat entertaining to watch a "5 handicap" shoot 105-ish.

We had the course pretty much to ourselves. I could have broken off at a couple of points, but it was somewhat entertaining to watch a "5 handicap" shoot 105-ish.

i think their single digit handicaps are pretty suspect

I've noticed with a lot of 'low' handicappers, the ones who fudge their scores to get there are the ones who are most inclined to talk about it...

That is the truth! When I played high school golf, I will never forget the new kid my senior year. He told our coach that he had played on a state championship team in Florida, where he moved from. He said that he had taken tons of lessons, had a single digit handicap, etc. And well, as it turned out, he never broke 85 that year..:confused2:

Here in Socal on the cheap munis you'll some times find yourself behind a group of young guys in Raiders gear and covered with tatoos who scream a lot and play pretty slow. In general, though, admonishments to speed up play should be handed out with caution.

:zsimpsons:

Let's see. I play a lot of muni's so you always see something interesting. These are from the last few weeks.

- 4.5 ft tall teenager bashing his club into the ground after a few bad shots. Followed it up with mulitple Camillo-esque green-readings. I was not impressed.

- Cast on the leg guy. He was hopping around and having a hell of time hitting the ball. Felt bad for him.

- Wasted outing group. A cart full of ladies at the port-a-pottie screaming while a male outing member exclaimed to them how he peed on the seat.

- 4th hole driving range guy. Decided to stripe about 15 balls of the teebox?

Here in Socal on the cheap munis you'll some times find yourself behind a group of young guys in Raiders gear and covered with tatoos who scream a lot and play pretty slow. In general, though, admonishments to speed up play should be handed out with caution.

:zsimpsons:

these guys were always at the range sorrento valley

Back