Kmac

Banned
Reaction score
Handicap
Do you have one and how do you use it as a training aid? When I took lessons a little while back the pro had my hitting an impact bag but Im not really sure what the lesson is when hitting one. What are some drills you do with an impact bag and is the point to just hit it as hard as you can with an iron? Is there more to it then that?

From what I have read, if the bag spins then you didn't hit the bag square. It may help to learn how to shape a shot. Hit the outside of the bag for the draw spin and the inside to create fade spin.

My instructor used it as a training aid to help me get inside out on my swing. In my case, hit the bag and if it rotates counter clock wise it means I came in from the inside out. If it rotated clockwise then it was a sign that I was going outside in. Of course those swings are exaggerated to get the desired effect but it was effective in a way of learning to feel how the club should perform on a correct swing path. He also used it as a training tool for lag. If I hit the bag square and it skidded along the grass then it means I was hitting down on the ball and creating lag. If I started to scoop then I would hit the upper half of the target and the bag would hop up and maybe even tumble over.

Impact bags can be used for several drills, like the swing path ones already mentioned, as well as working on proper impact position. The drill never involves swinging as hard as you can at the impact bag as far as I've been taught.

My instructor told me one of the key benefits to the impact bag over hitting balls is that you can focus completely on the swing drill you are working on, as you don't have to subconsciously worry about making contact with the golf ball. You literally can't miss the impact bag so you can concentrate on what you are working on with your swing.

Impact bags can be used for several drills, like the swing path ones already mentioned, as well as working on proper impact position. The drill never involves swinging as hard as you can at the impact bag as far as I've been taught.

My instructor told me one of the key benefits to the impact bag over hitting balls is that you can focus completely on the swing drill you are working on, as you don't have to subconsciously worry about making contact with the golf ball. You literally can't miss the impact bag so you can concentrate on what you are working on with your swing.

G4L, can you expand on this a bit? So if I want to work on lag and creating more of it I dont want to swing hard just try to focus on lag while hitting the bag?

G4L, can you expand on this a bit? So if I want to work on lag and creating more of it I dont want to swing hard just try to focus on lag while hitting the bag?

I think that's what he's saying, OEM. Also look at your hand/shaft position at impact. Also at impact you can see the bag skid forward a little if you're doing it right.

Yeah, practice making contact with the bag with hands even with left thigh, weight on left side, hips open about 45%. When I'm at a computer I'll try and link to the golftec drill.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I thought the idea was to take note of the body's position at impact. For example, hands, hips, weight. I don't think you are supposed to be hitting it like a heavy bag. Just an aid to halt the club at that position.

Do you have one and how do you use it as a training aid? When I took lessons a little while back the pro had my hitting an impact bag but Im not really sure what the lesson is when hitting one. What are some drills you do with an impact bag and is the point to just hit it as hard as you can with an iron? Is there more to it then that?

It helped me to understand how to use big muscles. Good drill if you swing with your arms and hands not not correctly use the big muscles in the back, legs. Hope it makes sense.

I have one, and have rested it up against a car tire or something so it doesn't move when hitting it. The instructions with it say to hit it at 1/2 speed. I think it lets you feel the proper impact position by giving you a way to stop your swing at impact.

I got an impact bag yesterday and after smacking it only a few times, I could see how the shaft is supposed to lean forward. Too often I have a tendency to flip the club head through the impact zone and all hell breaks loose. I think this product and I are gonna become really close friends. :thumb:

I got an impact bag yesterday and after smacking it only a few times, I could see how the shaft is supposed to lean forward. Too often I have a tendency to flip the club head through the impact zone and all hell breaks loose. I think this product and I are gonna become really close friends. :thumb:

Do most golf shops have these to purchase?

Do most golf shops have these to purchase?

Duey I bought mine off Ebay. I imagine a good golf outlet would have them. They come in a small package and then you add some old pillows, or clothes, or whatever. I put 20 lbs of sand in a trash bag, stuffed it in the bag, and added some old clothes. Love it! I went out tonight and smacked the thing 100 times. 10 take a break, then 10 more reps.

Duey I bought mine off Ebay. I imagine a good golf outlet would have them. They come in a small package and then you add some old pillows, or clothes, or whatever. I put 20 lbs of sand in a trash bag, stuffed it in the bag, and added some old clothes. Love it! I went out tonight and smacked the thing 100 times. 10 take a break, then 10 more reps.

Thnks OG. The comments above lead me to think it would help my impact position, sounds very worth while.

Thnks OG. The comments above lead me to think it would help my impact position, sounds very worth while.

I only paid $26.00 bucks for mine and if ingrains a good habit it will be worth that a 1000+ times! Muscle memory is better than brain memory, especially when you wear Depends and take Geritol :D

I only paid $26.00 bucks for mine and if ingrains a good habit it will be worth that a 1000+ times! Muscle memory is better than brain memory, especially when you wear Depends and take Geritol :D

How did you know? Dangit OG, thanks for the announcement!

I paid 30 bucks for mine at Dick's, went down to the St Vincent's that sells clothing by the pound at filled er up.

I use the impact bag to form muscle memory of where my arms / hands should be at impact. Usually I will do 3 swings from the 90 degree point of my down swing, where the club shaft is parallel to the ground, through impact lightly followed by a 75% swing being sure to keep my left arm forward of the club face at impact.
The bag also prevents any real follow through so you can see where your arms are at impact.

I'll go and hit it a couple times every couple hours throughout the night, has helped quite a bit for me.

I paid 30 bucks for mine at Dick's, went down to the St Vincent's that sells clothing by the pound at filled er up.

I use the impact bag to form muscle memory of where my arms / hands should be at impact. Usually I will do 3 swings from the 90 degree point of my down swing, where the club shaft is parallel to the ground, through impact lightly followed by a 75% swing being sure to keep my left arm forward of the club face at impact.
The bag also prevents any real follow through so you can see where your arms are at impact.

I'll go and hit it a couple times every couple hours throughout the night, has helped quite a bit for me.

Works great huh CapC?

So, are these more in keeping of the ball first digger? Up until these A12os irons I was a digger, divot taker, or what ever. Put a lot of spin on the ball, but not so much anymore.

So, are these more in keeping of the ball first digger? Up until these A12os irons I was a digger, divot taker, or what ever. Put a lot of spin on the ball, but not so much anymore.

That is correct. It teaches you to hold your impact position where you are striking the ball first and not flipping. I am also seeing how this could help with a swing plane issue. Kelly took a short video of me working with the bag and I was taking the club back up and over my right shoulder. I have a tendency to swing to far inside so hopefully this will help me get a bit more upright and square the club face better on impact.

That is correct. It teaches you to hold your impact position where you are striking the ball first and not flipping. I am also seeing how this could help with a swing plane issue. Kelly took a short video of me working with the bag and I was taking the club back up and over my right shoulder. I have a tendency to swing to far inside so hopefully this will help me get a bit more upright and square the club face better on impact.

Good info guy's, thanks for the efforts. I'll start looking for this!

I tend to "pre-lean" the shaft forward just before I start backswing. It helps me lead with the shaft on the downswing. It's easier for me with my baseball bat grip and small hands. It's probably way wrong, but so far it's working for me.

I can see this being pretty beneficial to ingraining new moves the player is working on, I might have to look into once...especially at the low price point.

Hawk I am bumping this for you. I have one, I just have to get it out. What drills do you use yours for. Do you hit all clubs with it? Also what do you have inside of it?

I use an 8lb soft sided medicine ball, but it's the same concept.

I do a couple drills with it and take full swings. The end goal for me is to get the same snap into the ball with the full swing that I do from the drills.

The main drill I do is a one handed takeaway (left hand), grab the club with the right hand at the top, and then into the bag, starting with the lower body. It's almost the sensation of cracking a whip. The reason I do the one handed takeway is to force myself to turn instead of arms and slide. It's a very smooth, rhythmic motion that I try to keep as my only swing thought on the course, especially with the driver. Easier said than done of course

The goal is to just work on getting your body into the swing without the worry of the ball getting in the way.

I typcially use a junker iron - an old Burner 2.0. Mainly because the ball isn't quite as cushiony as a real bag. I'd probably use a back up driver for the same reason, even with a bag.

Probably the number one drill that has helped me hit the ball solid with a driver this year. It actually helped me with irons as well, but I'm not translating them as well at the moment as I was earlier in the year. Too worried about the ball I think.

Back