How to stop early extension

rajohnson

Reaction score
Handicap
I am having trouble with early extension, my hips are coming towards the ball. Do you have any drills/tips that could help me get rid of this.

Any help is appreciated.

Great question. You can feel the hips moving toward the ball as you go into impact? First of all work slow motion drills to feel the lag. From the top I want you to feel your elbow come into your side. From here I want you to get your hands infront of your belt buckle with the club parallel to the ground. From here turn the body into the ball. This is a very deliberate way to help you feel the positions. As a side note chipping and pitching practice are great to get the hands in front of the ball at impact.

To keep the hips back and turning I have a couple of simple drills to work on. Around the house slide a low back chair behind you (back to you) in your setup. On the way to the top of the backswing right cheek on the chair. On the down swing left cheek on the chair. This will help you get the feel of a post and a clear with the left side. This is a must to keep the hips back. Work on that around the house. For the range take 2 driveway marker stakes (or broken club shafts) and stick them in the ground behind you so you can take the chair drill to the range.

Back