The Never ending quest for putter perfection

Chunkylover77

Proud JakeNation Member
Reaction score
Handicap
So I just am not in love with my TM Daytona. It's a very nice putter but it's just not talking to me. It's going up on the block

I have been putting with everything I can get my hands on and I really like the feel of the Camerons. They are just the right amount of mushy firmness that I really like. I refuse however to put a Cameron in the bag. Are the Camerons a typical feel for stainless steel or are they different? I have never had a SS putter before

Now I have been eyeing the Bettinardi line for 2011. The SS #7 looks sweet and I've been thinking of a mallet type putter. The Signature Series is also very nice and is stainless.

Anyone have any suggestions of which putters I should check out and any thoughts if you've been lucky enough to try the Betti's. Thanks

I think you should wait until the outing. You'll be able to roll a ton of putters and I bet you leave that weekend knowing exactly which putter is best for you.

serious golfers use tapatalk so we can THP on the fly!

I know that is what I should do TC. I have issues with waiting though. Once something is not working for me it needs to be out of the bag ASAP

I hear you man. I fall in and out of love with my putter all the time. I almost pulled the trigger on a seemore today but am trying to wait for the outing before I buy anything new.

If the SC works for you and feels right, why not use it? I mean you use a Titleist driver, am I wrong here or does the money for both not go into the same wallet?

I know that is what I should do TC. I have issues with waiting though. Once something is not working for me it needs to be out of the bag ASAP

I know buddy. I don't have a ton of bettinardi experience but I quite like my Si1 and my Daytona ghost.

serious golfers use tapatalk so we can THP on the fly!

It's a thing with a buddy Ripper. Nothing against SC himself. I understand I'm certifiable.

I have been putting with everything I can get my hands on and I really like the feel of the Camerons. They are just the right amount of mushy firmness that I really like. I refuse however to put a Cameron in the bag. Are the Camerons a typical feel for stainless steel or are they different? I have never had a SS putter before

Can I ask why you don't like Cameron's? Personally I've always respected the brand but HATED the price. I just bought a Cameron Newport Mid Slant Pro Platinnum for 85$ used at Golf Galaxy. Its' got the best "mushy firmness" you described I've felt in a long time.

Edit: Question answered. I'll recind my suggestion.
Lots of good cameron's finding there way used for pretty cheap now a days though

Yeah I might have to put up with the ribbing and just get the SC. But I was wondering if the feeling of the Cameron was typical with other SS models. I have seen a Byron Morgan that was incredible and of course the Betti Signature Series with the FIT face is amazing but pricey.

Just started using a two-ball for the first time and man oh man is it sweet. The alignment system is easier than spelling hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia. But seriously it is awesome. Can't wait til spring to roll it on the home course!

Just started using a two-ball for the first time and man oh man is it sweet. The alignment system is easier than spelling hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia. But seriously it is awesome. Can't wait til spring to roll it on the home course!

Haha, I'm no two-ball fan, but I think you just mentioned my ex-mother inlaw!

.... scared of gigantatic blubborous monsters who talk to much?

Edit: Oh man duey stole my mother in law joke.

Putters are so fickle! I mean why won't the darn things just comply with our demand of getting the fricking ball into the hole at least 36 times or less per round. It should not be that hard. I bet if there was a tally on if putters or drivers were the club bought most by golfers the putter would win out. Well it should as we spend a heap more strokes with it than the driver. Heck spend $300 or more on the big stick and go for the bargain basement putter. Not saying the economy model or older "Big" name putters are not cool. I think we put more money into the big stick and let the flat stick come as they may.

Putters are fickle beasts. I used a Scotty for 7 years then went back to my Odyssey white hot 5 from 10 years ago. Like some of SeeMore's stuff although never gamed them. The object of the game is still to put the ball in the hole and If a Scotty give you the best confidence,feel tough whatever game it.

Putters are so fickle! I mean why won't the darn things just comply with our demand of getting the fricking ball into the hole at least 36 times or less per round. It should not be that hard. I bet if there was a tally on if putters or drivers were the club bought most by golfers the putter would win out. Well it should as we spend a heap more strokes with it than the driver. Heck spend $300 or more on the big stick and go for the bargain basement putter. Not saying the economy model or older "Big" name putters are not cool. I think we put more money into the big stick and let the flat stick come as they may.

I'm willing to spend the cash on Drivers because I want NASA level science behind launching a Golf Ball. With a Putter I prefer quirky cheap and have character.

I'm willing to spend the cash on Drivers because I want NASA level science behind launching a Golf Ball. With a Putter I prefer quirky cheap and have character.

One of the best if not the best putters at our golf course uses a putter that looks like it has been run over by a Southwestern freight train, dropped off the Empire state bldg, and drug behind a tractor trailer rig have way up to Atlanta. But listen dawg, this man putts like the fricking hole was cut to fit a beer keg in it. He rarely misses. I suppose that's why he has won the Sr Club Championship 7 times. A good flat stick new or old can save your arse!

Why don't you guys just get fit for an Edel and then you won't ever need another putter.......

edelgolf.com

Never heard of them either, intrigued tho

Edit: http://www.thehackersparadise.com/forum/showthread.php?1747-Edel-Putters-Booth

insert witty sig line here. Tapatalk

I refuse however to put a Cameron in the bag.
I get the impression SC isn't a fave around here, why is that? I sure noticed a lot of them at Torrey this weekend. I've got my putters so I don't care but I am curious about this one.

I recently had a SC California Del Mar. Loved the feel and look of it and it was heading for the starting bag until I took a flyer on an Odyssey Black Series Tour Designs #9. I already had a White Hot Tour #9 so for the sake of change, I really kinda wanted to like the SC. An Odyssey Backstryke Blade was also in the running. But that Black Series TD beat 'em all back and quickly won me over. Best weight, balance, feel ever in my hands. Love it. My lag putting, in particular, improved dramatically with it.

So I just am not in love with my TM Daytona. It's a very nice putter but it's just not talking to me. It's going up on the block

Now I have been eyeing the Bettinardi line for 2011. The SS #7 looks sweet and I've been thinking of a mallet type putter. The Signature Series is also very nice and is stainless.

Anyone have any suggestions of which putters I should check out and any thoughts if you've been lucky enough to try the Betti's. Thanks

Moved to Flatstick Talk.

Like TC, I strongly urge the wait for a couple of more months. Over 150 putters will be out there to try on actual greens. You can compare a Scotty to a Bettinardi to a Gambler, etc....

Why don't you guys just get fit for an Edel and then you won't ever need another putter.......

Wait, so the Edel is the magical wand that every golfer will be better once they have one? Wow, I guess I should have held on to that one I tried and did not care for then.

Chunky, you should wait until May. You are going to want a new one afterwards anyway :)

I get the impression SC isn't a fave around here, why is that? I sure noticed a lot of them at Torrey this weekend. I've got my putters so I don't care but I am curious about this one.

Well Scotty certainly has his detractors but I am not one of them. The reason he isn't in my bag is because of my old foursome and it really can't be explained. I have however been bitten with the TEI3 bug and am considering getting a cheap one on CL or Ebay and getting it restored. I loved those putters. I would just take a lot of abuse from my old foursome.

And to everyone else: I know I need to wait till the outing. I think I will. But man is it tough.

WMac: I love the 2ball black series TD. Almost has that same type of feeling as the Camerons. I was close to getting one last year. I am a freak with putters and am constantly changing them. Maybe that is why I average 37 putts per round.

Well Scotty certainly has his detractors but I am not one of them. The reason he isn't in my bag is because of my old foursome and it really can't be explained. I have however been bitten with the TEI3 bug and am considering getting a cheap one on CL or Ebay and getting it restored. I loved those putters. I would just take a lot of abuse from my old foursome.

And to everyone else: I know I need to wait till the outing. I think I will. But man is it tough.

WMac: I love the 2ball black series TD. Almost has that same type of feeling as the Camerons. I was close to getting one last year. I am a freak with putters and am constantly changing them. Maybe that is why I average 37 putts per round.

Dude, you know you're sort of making me want to know the story with your foursome and why they will rib you for a SC?

I have changed putters over time as well. I had a Walter Hagan blade. Then had a SC Red X. Then a SC fastback. Then a TM Rossa Monza Spider Vicino. Now I'm gaming a SC Studio Stainless Newport 2 and I love it. I went from blade, to mallet, to mid-mallet, to mallet, back to blade. haha.

I still have the Walter Hagan blade, the Vicino, and of course the SC Newport 2 that I just picked up. When it comes to scottys, I prefer milled 303 with no insert. I do really like my vicino with the TM insert and I really like the SC milled. Just depends on what you're feeling at the moment. I think putters are very much a feel club. You might need to get your mojo going with a putter until you connect with it. Let that be what decides your putter, not what people think of any brand. I'm not really into SeeMores but if they work for you, use it! Same with any other brand. Although Scottys do give me some confidence.

My favorite putters are the Vicino and the SC Newport 2. Very different putters yet both are very good.

Back