A little annoyed...

I wish we could use the sand method up north too. It's so much cleaner looking. That's how they repairt the tee-boxes, so why not do it in the fairway. When I've tried to replace divots I accidentally made in my yard they don't grow back.

I always look for my ball mark. If I don't see one, I try to find another to repair. Aside from THP'rs, I have never played with another person that even has a repair tool. I'm pretty sure they think I'm crazy as I'm leaning over to fix ball marks.

I look to see where the rakes are placed at the courses I play and put them back where I think they are supposed to go. I suppose I would rather they were in the hazard, but I just play along.

Drag? No sir. We have dont have many large bunkers. We only Sandpro them after storms, to fix washouts and compression. Other than that we hand rake them every morning.

The super doesnt need to tell the workers where to leave the rakes, because its been established at the beginning of the year. The super cares about how he wants the course left, so if people arent doing what he wants, then someone should explain to the lazy people how the rakes should be left. And if they continue to disregard the statements, then we all know where it could lead for the employee

Drag? No sir. We have dont have many large bunkers. We only Sandpro them after storms, to fix washouts and compression. Other than that we hand rake them every morning.

The super doesnt need to tell the workers where to leave the rakes, because its been established at the beginning of the year. The super cares about how he wants the course left, so if people arent doing what he wants, then someone should explain to the lazy people how the rakes should be left. And if they continue to disregard the statements, then we all know where it could lead for the employee

well, it's good that he has a staff that respects his demands. i suppose i should just follow suit on the course but it's tough for me to leave one outside of the bunker, it's just not what i've been taught and seen where i grew up.

Arnold Palmer is on the leave the rake out side.

I leave the rake in the bunker, at the edge. It's meant to be used in the bunker so why should it possibly affect a shot that is not in the bunker?

Arnie may prefer the rake on the outdside, but it's still just his opinion.

While we're at it, why do people leave two rakes right by each other instead of putting it in an empty location in the bunker?

The super cares about how he wants the course left, so if people arent doing what he wants, then someone should explain to the lazy people how the rakes should be left. And if they continue to disregard the statements, then we all know where it could lead for the employee

WHAT? What makes them lazy people? There is no cut and dry rule and many argue that they should be left in (Golf Magazine). So please tell me how that makes people lazy? It takes little effort to leave in or out depending on where you leave them. It seems that it is more about being reminded than laziness and CERTAINLY is not a problem with the golfers.

I am on the leave the rake in the bunker, at the edge. It's meant to be used in the bunker so why should it possibly affect a shot that is not in the bunker?

Arnie may prefer the rake on the outdside, but it's still just his opinion.

While we're at it, why do people leave two rakes right by each other instead of putting it in an empty location in the bunker?

that's what i'm talking about smalls. c'mon, how many bunkers do you think that arnie's raked in the last 25 years?

that's what i'm talking about smalls. c'mon, how many bunkers do you think that arnie's raked in the last 25 years?

You mean you didn't see Arnie out there at 5AM at BayHill getting all of the bunkers ready? haha

I believe Jack is on the side of leaving them in the bunker. Not only that, last year at the Memorial he took pronges out of the rakes so that the sand couldn't be raked as smoothly as it is on other courses. He tried to set it up so that bunkers were more of a penalty than a reward

Rake in or rake out. Just please, don't leave it in at the edge. This might stop a ball rolling into the flat of the bunker, and instead leave it virtually unplayable at the edge. If you're putting the rake in, put it right in!

WHAT? What makes them lazy people? There is no cut and dry rule and many argue that they should be left in (Golf Magazine). So please tell me how that makes people lazy? It takes little effort to leave in or out depending on where you leave them. It seems that it is more about being reminded than laziness and CERTAINLY is not a problem with the golfers.

He meant the staff at the course, not the customers.

I have never played a course where the rakes are placed in the bunker. As the courses I've played don't leave them in the bunker, I put them back where I found them (pretty common coutesy/etiquette if you ask me). However, I always try to put them in a place where they are unlikely to impossible to keep a ball from going in depending on how the hole plays.

As for the super never talking to customers to let them know... Ever seen a sign on the course that says "Replace your divots" or "Repair your ballmark and one other"??? I think your super just 'spoke' to you!!!! All that would be needed is an addition to the first tee sign about divots that said "Please leave sand rakes in/out of bunker" if they wanted a policy to exist.

By the way, here's what the USGA guidelines provided by the USGA in Decision Misc./2 say...

"There is not a perfect answer for the position of rakes, but on balance it is felt there is less likelihood of an advantage or disadvantage to the player if rakes are placed outside of bunkers."

I have never played a course where the rakes are placed in the bunker. As the courses I've played don't leave them in the bunker, I put them back where I found them (pretty common coutesy/etiquette if you ask me). However, I always try to put them in a place where they are unlikely to impossible to keep a ball from going in depending on how the hole plays.

As for the super never talking to customers to let them know... Ever seen a sign on the course that says "Replace your divots" or "Repair your ballmark and one other"??? I think your super just 'spoke' to you!!!! All that would be needed is an addition to the first tee sign about divots that said "Please leave sand rakes in/out of bunker" if they wanted a policy to exist.

By the way, here's what the USGA guidelines provided by the USGA in Decision Misc./2 say...

"There is not a perfect answer for the position of rakes, but on balance it is felt there is less likelihood of an advantage or disadvantage to the player if rakes are placed outside of bunkers."

well, continue to leave your rakes in a position outside of the bunker (that's less likely to impede a ball's journey into the hazzard) and i'll continue to leave them in, so that i don't have to guess what the skill level is of the golfers playing behind me on the day.

you're right, super's do communicate with us about cart paths, 90* rules, divots, ball marks, but the point was that NEVER HAVE I BEEN TOLD WHAT TO DO WITH THE RAKE!

fire up!

I did not say he was speaking of the consumer or the worker.

As for signs,
So since that is the super speaking to the golfer, then since the super is not speaking on the subject, the golfer should assume the super does not care. I have never seen a sign that says put rake back "here".

I did not say he was speaking of the consumer or the worker.

As for signs,
So since that is the super speaking to the golfer, then since the super is not speaking on the subject, the golfer should assume the super does not care. I have never seen a sign that says put rake back "here".

i haven't either, EVER!

I guess I'll go with the USGA on this one as with everything else (or is my footwedge a legal club now :D).

if someone leaves the rake infront of the bunker so my ball wont roll in.. im not complaning. might buy them a beer afterwards lol

I'll just continue to try and avoid bunkers all together.

I vote leave the rake in

I guess I'll go with the USGA on this one as with everything else (or is my footwedge a legal club now :D).

But that is just it. They do NOT have a cut and dry rule as was pointed out in the Golf Magazine article.

But that is just it. They do NOT have a cut and dry rule as was pointed out in the Golf Magazine article.

They give an opinion on best practice and that's good enough for me unless the course super sets it up differently. Why would I take the opionion of Golf Magazine over THE USGA???

Here is a Golf Channel video on bunker etiquette that also specifically states rakes should be left outside. http://www.thegolfchannel.com/golf-...11736/?ref=26601&rsec=548&referrer=vgpresults

Not to open a new can of worms, but if you consider that you are not allowed to touch the hazzard, move twigs, rocks, etc. then wouldn't you have a rather significant rules problem if your ball comes to rest against a rake in a bunker?

Not to open a new can of worms, but if you consider that you are not allowed to touch the hazzard, move twigs, rocks, etc. then wouldn't you have a rather significant rules problem if your ball comes to rest against a rake in a bunker?

Seems to me that there IS a rule covering this.

They give an opinion on best practice and that's good enough for me unless the course super sets it up differently. Why would I take the opionion of Golf Magazine over THE USGA???

Here is a Golf Channel video on bunker etiquette that also specifically states rakes should be left outside. http://www.thegolfchannel.com/golf-...11736/?ref=26601&rsec=548&referrer=vgpresults

No, because there is a rule about a ball coming to rest against a rake by the USGA. WHo said I was taking the sides of Golf Magazine. What I said, was that the USGA does NOT have a rule in place and merely an opinion and there were others including Golf Magazine that believe it should be the other way.

lol you gotta love a good conversation about bunker rakes! I prefer the ones on the carts so the rake doesnt come into play. You just have to remember to bring it with you to the bunker and put it back on the cart. DOOH! My biggest pet peeves about bunkers is getting up to one and finding my ball in someones foot print cause they were too lazy too rake up their mess! that and the a-hole who thinks its funny to throw the rake in the middle of the bunker so you have to walk in to get it and rake your way back out to then go rake up your own foot prints! ahhh the joys of sand traps! :act-up:

WHo said I was taking the sides of Golf Magazine.

Noone. What I said was, "Why would I take the opinion..."

I've noticed this a lot too where we play. I usually fix them myself. I figure, if the person who did it wasn't kind enough to repair it for the next person, I'll fix it for the next person :)

Where we played on Sunday (Alhambra G.C) they were offering free ball markers on the condition that you repair 2 other ball marks on the green.

Ok I have one for you, I was playing a course in Texas and they had two prongs on the end of their rakes and wanted them stuck in the ground just on the outside edge of the bunker standing straight up.

Back