A little annoyed...

Hi, I'm Michael and I have been fixing divots incorrectly.

All together: Hello Michael.

Ya know, that video was great and I went ahead and watched a couple others that showed the same technique.

And, I agree you should fix yours and one other, but I think we should take that a step further. If you play with someone who isn't a golf nut like us, show them how to fix a divot correctly. If you get paired with strangers, break the ice with "Hey, did you guys know that you aren't suppose to fix a divot by pulling up?" In my case I could say "Hey guys, I just figured out I've been fiixing divots wrong..."

We need to show someone else how to fix them properly now that we know. I admit I've been doing it wrong, but this video was the first time I have ever been shown the correct way and it would suck to fix a divot and then have to putt over the brown circle in your line.

So, make it a point. Make it a game to see how many don't know how to do it. Whatever. But teach others how to do this. It's kind of hard to blame people for fixing them wrong when apparently there aren't many that know how to do it right in the first place. Kind of like the blind leading the blind when it comes to divots.

I dont understand why people need words to get the message from the superintendent. Just because he doesnt have a sign, or tell you directly, doesnt mean that he isnt trying to tell you something.

Just replace the rake to the position most like every other bunker rakes position on the course. If you do it wrong the first hole, and realize it on the second hole, remember for the next bunker youre in. No matter whether its in or out. Its not a huge deal if you leave it in or out, but it can become annoying to staff if you keep putting them out, and they want them in(or vice versa). Maybe next time youre at the proshop, ask the attendant? Its no different than "where is the putting green", or "where is the bathroom"?

I've been fixing ball marks on the green correctly for the past couple of years. I too fixed them incorrectly, but ran across a video teaching me the right way. Some of my playing partners don't even carry ball mark repair tools, but no big deal - I'll fix theirs too. I'll always fix one or two others while I'm at it.

Bad days on the course are when you don't have to fix any of your own ball marks!

Bad days on the course are when you don't have to fix any of your own ball marks!

Hahaha, very true bonknhead. I've had a couple of those!

I'm guilty as the next person for lack of knowledge. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

I miss greens on purpose so I don't have to fix em. :D

...and its as easy as using a tee :D

I just now saw the video and that's the way that I've been doing in, who knew that was the correct way :confused2:

In Chicagoland, it is about half-n-half in regard to sanding or replacing divots. If the carts have sand bottles, then my group sands. If there are only sand barrels on the par 3 tee boxes, then we sand on the tee box and then replace divots on the fairways.

With respect to fixing greens, it drives me nuts when I see a bunch of holes or brown spots from pitch marks that either were not repaired or not repaired properly. It is often a lost cause, but I try to fix no less than 2 pitch marks per green. When we get to a course where management repairs pitch marks on greens after the last group to tee off, the greens are in much better shape. but of course, those courses cost more.

With respect to a rake in or out of the bunker, the courses I play go both ways. If it appears that most of the bunkers have rakes inside, then that is what I do... and vice versa. Of course, sometimes I put half the rake in the bunker and half outside the bunker, that way everyone is happy! Or is everyone pissed off? Hard to tell sometimes.

Has anyone used one of these?

http://www.markmender.com/

Looks like it works faster than the traditional ball mark repair tool. Also looks like it is impossible to use the wrong way. Might be a little bigger in the pocket but can be attached to a belt loop. I was thinking about getting a couple of these for my wife and me. May also get one as a gift for my golf instructor. She can use it when giving a lesson and maybe promote ball mark repairs to her other students.

-Steven

Has anyone used one of these?

http://www.markmender.com/

Looks like it works faster than the traditionbal ball mark repair tool. Also looks like it is impossible to use the wrong way. Might be a little bigger in the pocket but can be attached to a belt loop. I was thinking about getting a couple of these for my wife and me. May also get one as a gift for my golf instructor. She can use it when giving a lesson and maybe promote ball mark repairs to her other students.

-Steven

http://thehackersparadise.com/home/?p=712

I usually satisfy BOTH crowds, and leave the rake half in the bunker, half out. JK!

But back to walkers. I walk all the time, bag carrry, so I do not have a push cart to put sand in. If I were walking on burmuda, what would the protocol be? I'm usually walking on rye or bent out here, so I feel better about replacing my divots!

Thanks, Smallville. I missed that. Looks like it was written before I joined. I really should go back and catch up on the old articles. Great review. I think that I will go order a couple of Mark Menders.

-Steven

There's all kinds of info on the main page. A lot of people don't always remember that this place is more than a discussion board. It's a pretty dang good golf blog too!

I know this is a bit off topic ... but isn't this the WRONG way to repair a ball mark:

http://www.thegolfchannel.com/golf-videos/daily-brew-fixing-ball-mark-13029/?ref=26000&referrer=vgpresults

Well, you are right that this is opposite from the other video (lifting vs. pushing in). The one thing I'll point out as a guess though is this ballmark was a dent straight down where the other in the first video was a tear and grass needed to be pushed back into the void. Other than that, I don't know how to explain the discrepancy. :confused2:

Not sure where it was that I played a course that had holes lined with PVC pipe that the rake was put in. These holes were deep, so that only the head of the rake remained exposed. Oh, BTW, these holes were outside of the bunkers.

Bermuda divots do what they say "anti-heal" in this neck of the woods. According to most supers we have spoken with here they call it "extra die off" when the divot is replaced on the surrounding areas. By filling the divot with sand they say the bermuda spreads faster and grows back faster (closer to 50% faster according to them). You will see the instructions at almost every "nicer" course in Fl saying "Do not replace divots, instead fill with stand".

I think I understand what you're saying. Let me ask you this: does the same logic apply to ballmarks or are they different because they're not actually divots but more like "misplaced" grass?

I don't really know much about the nuances of Bermuda grass, although I love putting on Bermuda greens!

-JP

I think I understand what you're saying. Let me ask you this: does the same logic apply to ballmarks or are they different because they're not actually divots but more like "misplaced" grass?

I don't really know much about the nuances of Bermuda grass, although I love putting on Bermuda greens!

-JP

According to the supers we have spoken with it does not really apply "exactly" the same until the root system is displaced.

It seems pretty simple to me, put the rakes back where you found them. Getting people to use them, and follow that simple rule is another matter.

I can't say that I recall playing where the rakes are left in the bunkers. Most every place I can remember put the rakes on the outside edges where they are least likely to interfere, and I think thats the best method. Like the USGA says, there is no perfect answer. So I say everbody put the back exactly where they were, hopefully thats where the Super intended it to be.

I learned golf being a caddy at one of the local country clubs. We were taught to repair any and all ball marks on greens and replace divots. Rakes were to placed outside of sand traps and placed parallel to the fairway. The rake thing varies from course to course. I replace them where I find them.

Today I fixed 10 - 15 ball marks on every green. While that kind of ticks me off, I am totally disgusted with all the cigar butts tossed everywhere, including the greens. WTF! Having never been a smoker, all that butt disposal is disgusting, but throwing trash on a golf course should get you banned. Permanently! :at-wits-end::angry:

Also, I always thought the whole deal with replacing divots, was more to fill in the divot as much as possible instead of leaving the full divot hole in the ground.

I learned golf being a caddy at one of the local country clubs. We were taught to repair any and all ball marks on greens and replace divots. Rakes were to placed outside of sand traps and placed parallel to the fairway. The rake thing varies from course to course. I replace them where I find them.

Today I fixed 10 - 15 ball marks on every green. While that kind of ticks me off, I am totally disgusted with all the cigar butts tossed everywhere, including the greens. WTF! Having never been a smoker, all that butt disposal is disgusting, but throwing trash on a golf course should get you banned. Permanently! :at-wits-end::angry:

Don't forget the sunflower seeds, that bugs too, especially on the green!! I like my ball markers repair tool, I've got 2 of them and my fav one is my Turtle Bay one. It has pink bling turtles on it and is too to cute, matches my hat clip/ball marker too :D

When we still wore steel spikes, on Bermuda fairways, I would scuff from both sides and then fill with sand. The scuffing, I was told would help the grass spread and fill in the divot. Bermuda grows more sideways than does Bluegrass or Bent.

About 40 years ago, I was playing Augusta National and when I tried to replace a divot, my caddie said to not do that. He simply took a handful of seed and threw in the divot. This was in the Winter, so it was probably a a rye/bent overseed mixture.

Not sure who told me to do that, but it made sense.

Back