EHSGolf1

Reaction score
Is it possible to loose 25-30 yds by flipping or not hitting ball first with irons? I cannot take a divot to save my life anymore. I hardly disturb the grass at all. On pitch shots I am fine, i get plenty of spin on my ball so I figure I am hitting the ball first with my hands infront but, on full iron shots the ball flight just shoots up with not a single ounce of penetration and a gradual rise. I know this is kind of hard to tell me exactly how to fix this without seeing my swing but I will try to get a video tomorrow. I think im flipping but i'm not a pro so I hope you can help me. Thank you so much for all you do.

That sounds to me like you are right. If you are noticing a much higher ball flight and lack of distance it is a good guess. Get me a video and I will let you know what I think...cool?

[video=youtube;UHC-KHXRvxU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHC-KHXRvxU[/video]

[video=youtube;izC-jXUPlwY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=izC-jXUPlwY[/video]

Sorry I don't know how to make it slow motion but here is my swing

EHSGolf1 Not a bad looking swing. The single biggest issue that I see is the grip. Your right hand position is too week and on top of the grip. This prevents the hands from hinging the way we need them to. It is also why you will notice you take it back with the hands and arms and not your big muscles. This leads to a laid off position and with your hands on the club like that you have no choice but to flip at impact. The lack of distance is coming from the disconnect between your arms and your body. The fix starts with the grip.

Put the grip in the fingers of your left hand so you can place the back pad of your hand on top of the grip. To make sure that it is in the fingers correctly you should be able to hold the club parallel to the ground and take all of your fingers off the grip but the pointer and the club shouldn't fall. Place your right hand on in the same manner. I want you to take notice of the crease or "v" between your thumb and hand, I want them parallel to each other and both of them pointing up to your right shoulder. This should help. Once you feel comfortable with that let me know and I will get you a couple of other things to work on.

Thank you very much. I figured that my disconnection was not good. On the grip, is my left hand thumb going to be ontop of the grip or on the right side of the grip? I have also been having troubles with the S word, so are these things that could be a contributing factor to that nasty shot? Thanks again for all you do for everyone here.

To get the "v" pointing in the right spot the thumb on the left hand should be right of center of the grip, and the hand action you are getting can/will cause the dreaded S word.

ok, i was just outside hitting some balls with this grip. Overall not too bad, the ball flight was lower than it has been. It's going to take some time to get completely used to it but it's nothing too bad.

Well today not so good :banghead: I shanked atleast half the shots. The driver was good, that was about the only bright spot of the day. The grip is starting to feel comfortable now. I will be going to the range tomorrow afternoon so just let me know if there are drills you want me to work on while i'm there.

For now work the grip and 1 other thing to think about is I would like to see a more deliberate takeaway. This is just to set us up for the next piece I would like to see you work on.

Ok will do and I will let you know how the range goes as well.

Well I went to the range today and I got some video. The video isn't the best as I was there by myself but it should be somewhat suffcient. Sorry I only got DTL video, well sort of.. I was captain shankapotamus out there but the bright side was that I hit my driver and woods well. I hit the driver the best I have for a while. I was really trying to work on staying more connected on my backswing and continuing to get comfortable with the grip( I hope I'm doing it right).

[video=youtube;C01BT2y-qls]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C01BT2y-qls[/video]

Sorry about the crookidness, its the only way I could get the camera to sit on my bag

I don't see shanks I see shot being hit off of the toe of the club. That will happen from time to time while making changes. Assuming that the grip is better we need to start getting the club into better positions on the way to the top. You take the club too far inside on the way back and that is why you are getting laid off at the top. Take the alignment stick you have on the ground in the video and stick it in the ground. I want you to setup to a shot with the stake in the ground at your toe line. Place the stake in the ground so the top is at your waist high. So now in your takeaway I want you working on a couple of things. First for distance from the stake. I want you to start the back swing and feel like you reach a touch...place the stake so that the where the hosel and head meet is where your club will make contact with the stake.

Start out with some drills and no ball. Swing back and reach so your club is at the stake. Make sure that the toe of the club is straight up to the sky. This is where the club and hands should be in the takeaway position. Once you are there hinge the hands and just turn the shoulders. Once you feel like you have this feel put a ball down. Take a swing and make sure you just clip the top of the stake on the way to the top. This will get you more on plane on the way up. Let me know if this makes sense.

Ok I'm pretty sure I got what you mean. I'll work on this for the next few days and i'll give you some updates and thanks again!

I went to the range today, i forgot the camera so I couldn't get any videos but I came away pleasantly suprised. I struck the ball pretty well still not where I want it to be but much better than previous(no s*****!!!). I was able to take a small divot on about half of the shots. The ballflight is still higher without penetration. I am gaining a little bit of distance back but still nowhere close to what it was. The main things I have been working on lately is taking my backswing more straight back and my grip. I have also been trying to not flip or atleast as much. I will try to post a video tomorrow of the progress.

I would love current video to see the progress. I will be waiting and watching.

Sorry that it took so long to get an updated video but here it is..

Great work so far. I want you to watch both videos and pay attention to your leg action. Notice how your right leg straightens up and your left knee gets more flex and comes in towards the ball a bit. This is robbing you of a weight shift and consistant contact. I want to start by getting a solid base before I work on the weight shift.

I want you to place a club between your legs so the head of the club goes behind the right knee and the shaft goes over the left knee. You can brace the grip of the club against a door frame or back of your couch. I want you to turn to the top. Notice how this forces you to maintain flex in the knees. This is a key to a stable foundation. Try this out and let me know when you feel like you have this move down so we can move on to the next step.

is this how my hips are supposed to act in my swing as well? When i do this my hips can't move at all. Or is this drill strictly to feel how my knees are supposed to act? thank you again so much for all your help.

Right now your low body is too active and that leads to inconsistant contact. I am trying to get you a nice quiet low body. The hips and legs are going to move more than what the drill allows. You were moving too much, this drill allows very little movement, so when you go out to practice I want to see the low body action to fall between where you were and where the drill puts you. I hope that makes sense.

Keep me in the loop I like where things are going at this point.

I have been playing great golf lately, but my driver is holding me back right now. I shot 2 over par the other day but, I was able to hit the driver pretty well that day. I have still been able to play well lately even with my driver acting up. My miss with the driver is a low pull hook. I am hitting my irons pretty well for the most playing a nice draw but my miss with those is if I over cook it a little bit or pull them. I am still about 2 clubs shorter with my clubs but the distance has come back a little bit. I also still cannot take a divot atleast anything above my 52 degree wedge. Today, when I really concentrated on trying to keep my lower body quiet, i nailed the shots so I just have to keep working on that and just let me know when you need me to move on with the next task. I really appreciate all of your help as do everyone else on this forum. You really do a great job!!!

When you feel like the low body is under control and you are comfortable that is when we will go to the next step. Sound ok?

Sounds good and thanks again!!

I went to the range today and focused on nothing but trying to keep a quiet lower body. For the most part, i struck the ball pretty well. I didn't have any pull hooks which was a relief. My miss at the range was a push to the right a little bit, nothing terrible but a push none the less. When trying to quiet my lower body, will my left knee still go towards the ball a little bit? or is it not really supposed to?

The left knee will move a little towards the ball. The push should be your miss. That is a great sign. Keep at it and let me know how it goes.

I will be playing today and I hope to get a video of the progress but no promises. As for the feeling of keeping a quiet lower body, I think it is coming along very well and I am becoming comfortable with it as well.

Back