thedue

Another Day in Paradise
Reaction score
Handicap
I see these quite often in a lot of higher end putters, but have never tried one. Do these add or subtract in the sound/feel catagories, or is this once again just a very subjective addition to a putter?

I would think that this would raise the pitch just a touch, might even give it a tinny sound, but I could be wrong. Anyone here have experiance with these?

I does add a distinct sound. for lack of a better term, a "ping". Scotty's have it on the beached newport model, and I just saw it on one of the putters in the Bettarnardi video. I didn't particularly care for it on the SC. I just want to hear the ball hit the cup.

I does add a distinct sound. for lack of a better term, a "ping". Scotty's have it on the beached newport model, and I just saw it on one of the putters in the Bettarnardi video. I didn't particularly care for it on the SC. I just want to hear the ball hit the cup.

Could you find a picture of what these look like??
I've never [knowingly] seen them.

You could watch the video we just posted in which they refer to the sound slot right on the home page.

You could watch the video we just posted in which they refer to the sound slot right on the home page.

Haha sorry JB, videos are blocked due to bandwidth restrictions at work, and truth be told, I'll probably forget by the time I get home because of a certain activity my group will be partaking in starting at 3pm

I don't want to ruin my new guy status (just joined THP yesterday) and put links up to improper sites. Google search Scotty cameron newport beach. you'll see a bunch of pics.

I have a scotty cameron newport beach 1.5 with the sound slot and I really like the sound and feel of the putter overall. It actually isn't tinny at all, it's like a slightly muted ping sound, at least on mine.

Hope that helps.

Haha sorry JB, videos are blocked due to bandwidth restrictions at work, and truth be told, I'll probably forget by the time I get home because of a certain activity my group will be partaking in starting at 3pm

Sorry but my laptop locked up or I'd have one up for you. I'll find one now.

As CG said you can also look at the SC site, they have a bunch.

2-2011.jpg

here's a pic of a putter with a sound slot

Thanks JA, here another. I had to post this one because it looks like a trout, lol. Bettinardi:

2821D.jpg

2821C.jpg

2821A.jpg

duey
in answer to your OP I don't beleive that they add to the "feel" but they do have a different sound than the same putter without a sound slot IMO.
As for the reason to have one IMO that's just personal preference.

My very favorite Ping putter that I won my states girl's high school championship with has a sound slot. I still have the putter....I'll snap a picture when I get home.

the sound is very different. feel wise....I say no. my opinion only though. I would put with it today if it had some face milling.

duey
in answer to your OP I don't beleive that they add to the "feel" but they do have a different sound than the same putter without a sound slot IMO.
As for the reason to have one IMO that's just personal preference.

My very favorite Ping putter that I won my states girl's high school championship with has a sound slot. I still have the putter....I'll snap a picture when I get home.

the sound is very different. feel wise....I say no. my opinion only though. I would put with it today if it had some face milling.

Great info guy's, thanks. If the feel don't change then it's not much worth my effort to add to the next putter as I'm deaf as a bat, lol.

Great info guy's, thanks. If the feel don't change then it's not much worth my effort to add to the next putter as I'm deaf as a bat, lol.
yeah...but it looks cool

that's why I had one added to a boutique putter.I liked the ones in the old ansers

yeah...but it looks cool

Yeah, I kind of like the looks of a sound slot. I'd have to wonder about rust/dirt, but for something a little different from the norm I think it might have merrit. I'm guessing that different metals make different sounds with the slots.

I'm guessing you're right on the different metals; different sounds.
As far as anything getting in them..nothing a toothpick won't solve.

Thanks guys, I'd actually always wondered what those are - I thought it was just someone being craft in removing weight or something.

I bet the folks at T.P. Mills could add some insight. How bout it boy's, got ur ears on?

sand would always get stuck in it...nothing a dunk in the creek wouldnt fix. or a brush. before the advent of golf specific club brushes....I always kept a toothbrush in the bag.

Back