True Temper Iron Shaft Project

At GG we used to be bend cast clubs +/- 2 degrees. Not too long before I left we had gotten a new device that would bend hybrids as well(i know that definately depends on the OEM).

interesting! nike said that they wouldn't recommend bending any of their cast clubs

If my irons were only going to be bent a degree I would say go a head and do it in store. If I was looking at more than that I would special order and wait for them to show up. My current set of PINGs are purple dot -1.5 degrees

This may seems like a silly question, but if I went to my store and got "measured" as it were, could I order a custom set from the manufacturer through the store or would I have to go to the manufacturer directly? Would there be extra cost for this?

This may seems like a silly question, but if I went to my store and got "measured" as it were, could I order a custom set from the manufacturer through the store or would I have to go to the manufacturer directly? Would there be extra cost for this?

should be able to go through the store. You can order the exact number you want. Usually only a shipping charge may apply(atleast from my experiences)

should be able to go through the store. You can order the exact number you want. Usually only a shipping charge may apply(atleast from my experiences)

Thanks ddec!

So here's another question for everybody: How long does a typical fitting session at a store last? Or would it depend on what is all being done? I'm thinking I'm going to pull the trigger on getting myself fit. I've got an email into Adams about what they recommend about getting my irons modified if that is even possible. I've only got about an hour tonight, so that is probably not enough time to go through a fitting, and I would think that I would have to make an appointment for that too. I went through the online fitting again and was still recommended the Dynamic Gold HL R300 shafts. My 3-5 hybrids have Grafalloy ProLaunch Platinum shafts. Should I get those swapped out for the steel shafts? The Platinum's were recommend for my woods on the online fitting. If my a3OS irons can be successfully modified, should I keep the stock shafts in my hybrids? And if Adams comes back and says my irons can't be modified, what would be the best course of action? Get new custom irons??

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to be as educated as possible going into this!

So here's another question for everybody: How long does a typical fitting session at a store last? Or would it depend on what is all being done? I'm thinking I'm going to pull the trigger on getting myself fit. I've got an email into Adams about what they recommend about getting my irons modified if that is even possible. I've only got about an hour tonight, so that is probably not enough time to go through a fitting, and I would think that I would have to make an appointment for that too. I went through the online fitting again and was still recommended the Dynamic Gold HL R300 shafts. My 3-5 hybrids have Grafalloy ProLaunch Platinum shafts. Should I get those swapped out for the steel shafts? The Platinum's were recommend for my woods on the online fitting. If my a3OS irons can be successfully modified, should I keep the stock shafts in my hybrids? And if Adams comes back and says my irons can't be modified, what would be the best course of action? Get new custom irons??

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to be as educated as possible going into this!

you won't need more than an hour to get fit. at this point if i were you, i'd wait til i heard back from adams concerning the iron shafts. personally, i prefer graphite in my hybrids but that's me. if adams says that they can't adjust your clubs then i just think that you have a decision to make. if you can afford, and have been wanting new irons, then by all means, go through a fitting and at least your clubs will be fit to you. i honestly believe that irons that have been fit to you can only help your game. i love how curious you are and it's exactly the same boat i was in not long ago. it can't hurt to just stop by your golf store and ask to go through a fitting, at least you'll know your specs that way.

Thanks TC! I just got back from Golf Town. I'll give full details tomorrow as we are going to take our puppy for a walk right away here. Full details tomorrow!

Thanks TC! I just got back from Golf Town. I'll give full details tomorrow as we are going to take our puppy for a walk right away here. Full details tomorrow!

sweet! can't wait to hear about your experiences.

you getting your boys back today TC?

you getting your boys back today TC?

i talked to the guy yesterday afternoon. they were all finished up but he wants me to leave them in his shop for 24 hours, i am assuming so the adhesives have a good amount of time to cure. i definitely want everything to be ok so i'll be as patient as i need to be. i'm leaving town thursday so i don't know if i'll even have the chance to hit them until next week. it's just getting worse and worse for me!

btw, noticed the new driver/shaft in your sig. when did that happen?

Alrighty, I'm back and as promised.... 9I's Journey to get his Irons Fitted.... Part 1

As I mentioned above, I went to my Golf Town last night. I have sent an email to Adams about what they suggest and I have not heard back from them. Just in case they say my irons can't be adjusted I wanted to go and try some different clubs that maybe could. I also wanted to get some better feedback on how far I can actually hit my 7 iron because I was just guessing for the online shaft fitting. Turns our I wasn't too far off... kind of... but more on that later.

So I went in and grabbed some clubs off the rack. I grabbed the 7 irons from the Machspeed, Diablo Edge, a7OS, and a3OS as a control. I wanted to try a Burner as well, but they were sold out. I started off by hitting 10 balls with each club in 5 ball increments. I started off with the a3OS, then went to the Machspeed, a7OS, and lastly the Diablos. Some observations: the a7OS is maybe just slightly longer than the a3OS but neither compare to the Machspeeds or Diablos. I averaged 130-135 carry with the Adams clubs, 145-150 with the Machspeed, and 150-155 with the Diablo. I would have never dreams that I could hit a 7 iron 175 yards, but I did with the Diablo. I know that in actuality, I would not be able to replicate this on the course because I was on a simulator and hitting off a mat, but I still got enough info to know roughly what I can do. I guessed my carry is between 120-125 and probably in real life it is 125-130. Maybe 135 if I'm lucky.

I was lucky enough to have the store manager helping me. He kept checking in on me and I told him I was looking at my options about club fitting. He brought out a lie board, and I was consistently hitting the clubs correctly in the "sweet spot". Next he measured me and long story short, I am in that nice regular range where off the rack clubs will suite me just fine for lie and length. What a load off my mind! I was really starting to worry that aspect of the fitting and to hear that my clubs don't have to be modified is a good thing. I asked him about grips as well and told him I was thinking about going to a midsize. He asked me if I sliced the ball, to which I respond with a big yes, and he said that midsize grips will make my slice even worse. More good information! Truth be told, I like the grips on my clubs, I was interested in going to the midsize for the comfort factor. So seeing as I don't need a midsize, I think I'll just stick with my stock grips for now.

So that was my trip to Golf Town last night. Now it boils down to whether I change my shafts. I have stock steel in my 6-PW. Is it worth swapping those five shafts? Will I see a big difference? The big thing I took away from my experience last night is that my swing needs work. I can't blame my clubs for being wrong for me. I need to work on consistent ball striking and with that I think I will see drastic improvement in my game.

As always, I welcome any thoughts or opinions! Will I see a big difference in my game if I change my steel shafts??

That is great stuff 9I. The only thing I would tell you is that many sets have different setups. So when you buy new irons, make sure that you at least get length and lie checked each time. If you are normal with your set, that is all that matters, but for instance you could be normal in one setup and off in another.

That is great stuff 9I. The only thing I would tell you is that many sets have different setups. So when you buy new irons, make sure that you at least get length and lie checked each time. If you are normal with your set, that is all that matters, but for instance you could be normal in one setup and off in another.

exactly right! just look at the specs of all the stuff you demo'd and i'd be willing to bet that the stock lie angles are different between the adams, nike, and cally. what did the guy at golf town say about shafts?

Alrighty, I'm back and as promised.... 9I's Journey to get his Irons Fitted.... Part 1

As I mentioned above, I went to my Golf Town last night. I have sent an email to Adams about what they suggest and I have not heard back from them. Just in case they say my irons can't be adjusted I wanted to go and try some different clubs that maybe could. I also wanted to get some better feedback on how far I can actually hit my 7 iron because I was just guessing for the online shaft fitting. Turns our I wasn't too far off... kind of... but more on that later.

So I went in and grabbed some clubs off the rack. I grabbed the 7 irons from the Machspeed, Diablo Edge, a7OS, and a3OS as a control. I wanted to try a Burner as well, but they were sold out. I started off by hitting 10 balls with each club in 5 ball increments. I started off with the a3OS, then went to the Machspeed, a7OS, and lastly the Diablos. Some observations: the a7OS is maybe just slightly longer than the a3OS but neither compare to the Machspeeds or Diablos. I averaged 130-135 carry with the Adams clubs, 145-150 with the Machspeed, and 150-155 with the Diablo. I would have never dreams that I could hit a 7 iron 175 yards, but I did with the Diablo. I know that in actuality, I would not be able to replicate this on the course because I was on a simulator and hitting off a mat, but I still got enough info to know roughly what I can do. I guessed my carry is between 120-125 and probably in real life it is 125-130. Maybe 135 if I'm lucky.

I was lucky enough to have the store manager helping me. He kept checking in on me and I told him I was looking at my options about club fitting. He brought out a lie board, and I was consistently hitting the clubs correctly in the "sweet spot". Next he measured me and long story short, I am in that nice regular range where off the rack clubs will suite me just fine for lie and length. What a load off my mind! I was really starting to worry that aspect of the fitting and to hear that my clubs don't have to be modified is a good thing. I asked him about grips as well and told him I was thinking about going to a midsize. He asked me if I sliced the ball, to which I respond with a big yes, and he said that midsize grips will make my slice even worse. More good information! Truth be told, I like the grips on my clubs, I was interested in going to the midsize for the comfort factor. So seeing as I don't need a midsize, I think I'll just stick with my stock grips for now.

So that was my trip to Golf Town last night. Now it boils down to whether I change my shafts. I have stock steel in my 6-PW. Is it worth swapping those five shafts? Will I see a big difference? The big thing I took away from my experience last night is that my swing needs work. I can't blame my clubs for being wrong for me. I need to work on consistent ball striking and with that I think I will see drastic improvement in my game.

As always, I welcome any thoughts or opinions! Will I see a big difference in my game if I change my steel shafts??

Good to hear you got to test out some stuff yesterday. Even better for you that off the rack will work. If you get the chance, I would have them check your lie angle on all or your irons, they all aren't the same. I've bent some clubs and had the irons(off the rack) have a 5 iron that is 1 degree up and a 7 that is 1 flat.

Didn't you just pick up these Adams irons recently? If so, I would go out and play with them for a month or so. That way you can see how they perform for you on the course for you. You will also get a view of what a different shaft can offer you(for example if you hit the adams too high, you can use that in your assesment to find something that will bring your ballflight down).

Absolutely JB. I will be sure to get this checked out every time from now on.

exactly right! just look at the specs of all the stuff you demo'd and i'd be willing to bet that the stock lie angles are different between the adams, nike, and cally. what did the guy at golf town say about shafts?

I just looked online at all the different specs.

a3OS - 61.75 Lie / 37.5 Length
a7OS - 62.25 / 37.5
Machspeed - 64 / 37.25
Diablo Edge - 62.5 / 37

More or less they are pretty close except for the Machspeed's lie.

I didn't get a chance to ask him about shafts. As it turns out I was running a bit late and had to leave just after I asked about the grips.

Good to hear you got to test out some stuff yesterday. Even better for you that off the rack will work. If you get the chance, I would have them check your lie angle on all or your irons, they all aren't the same. I've bent some clubs and had the irons(off the rack) have a 5 iron that is 1 degree up and a 7 that is 1 flat.

Didn't you just pick up these Adams irons recently? If so, I would go out and play with them for a month or so. That way you can see how they perform for you on the course for you. You will also get a view of what a different shaft can offer you(for example if you hit the adams too high, you can use that in your assesment to find something that will bring your ballflight down).

That's a good idea ddec, however the manager did tell me that they won't change hybrids and from my experience my irons sit pretty much the same from my 6-PW. I'd be willing to bet that they are good in that regard.

I've had them for almost a year now and when I hit them correctly, I think I have good ball flight with them. As I've said before, I need to work on my consistency, because right now I'm a bit all over the place. I just need a bit more practice first.

why thank you for noticing fellows! just got the driver and shaft yesterday. it was too good a deal to pass up at $200 for the setup, the driver and shaft are only about 2-3 months old and are in great shape. chomping at the bit to get to the range tommorow with Junior Sunday and try this bad boy out! I hit the Edge at the April outing and a few more times at Sports Authority and fell in love with it. I'm really pysched to see how I do with the new shaft. I never had a sig until last night then I went a little crazy customizing it with all the colors but I made them relevant to the products and had some fun with it. I'll try to get some photos up of the new driver and my bag in the next few days and let you know how it goes at the range.

btw, noticed the new driver/shaft in your sig. when did that happen?

Awesome shaft Sunday!

I re-read this thread and just want to say thanks TC and JB for bringing all of this up. I've played around with the fitting tool (for the driver) quite a bit in the last few days. I also checked out another brand's online fitting. Funny thing is that they both are pointing me in the same general direction as far as flex point, weight, etc. This thread was very interesting to me and has got me thinking.

I re-read this thread and just want to say thanks TC and JB for bringing all of this up. I've played around with the fitting tool (for the driver) quite a bit in the last few days. I also checked out another brand's online fitting. Funny thing is that they both are pointing me in the same general direction as far as flex point, weight, etc. This thread was very interesting to me and has got me thinking.

don't thank me hawk, thank JB and True Temper, it was their idea and i was more than happy to play along. it just goes to show that all of us can benefit from playing what's absolutely right for our games. i'm itching to get mine back and on the range for some testing.

They called you a staffer. Did GG hire you without me knowing? Everybody that is on facebook, please leave feedback that you are following it on THP and let True Temper know that you like these kind of unbiased testings.

No pressure...

Hehe, TC, you'll start receiving a paycheck in the mail monthly starting next week!

so when's the formal announcement JB? you know, "THP would like to inroduce......" hahaha.

i'm with JB, if you're a facebooker, check it out.

dirt, you're a trouble maker!

Back