BulldogsGolf

Future PGA Professional
Reaction score
Handicap
Hi guys!
So, over the last several months, I have been thinking ahead to my college years. For a while, I was pretty sure that my major would be Wildlife Biology. But over this summer and into, well, now, I have seriously considered PGM. Most schools require a USGA HCP of 12.0 or lower, which I possess. My HCP dropped about 12 shots from last year this time, and I plan to play just as much and work even harder, so it should drop and hopefully be below 5. Anyhow, I am also in great academic standing, with a 92.4 average overall. That would normally be around 95, but my math class is hard this year. Anyhow, My real question is, has anyone here gone to school for PGM? And also, what information can anyone bring to the table? I have a friend and fellow Bulldogs Golf Team Member that is going for it, and I was wondering what you all thought of it. Good career? Definetly.

Thanks guys, any info on PGM schools would be helpful!

BulldogsGolf

Let me say this only, most of my friends and people that I went to University with, changed majors 2 sometimes 3 times before they got their degree and then they choose a career that had nothing to do with their major. University gives you a great education but no training for a job and will be the best time of your life. Enjoy the ride.

Edit: I'm sure this didn't help you at all now that I read it.

There's a ton of good Universities that offer a PGM program. Are you more interested in the business/teaching/pro aspect or turf grass management type stuff (Superintendent)?

There's a ton of good Universities that offer a PGM program. Are you more interested in the business/teaching/pro aspect or turf grass management type stuff (Superintendent)?

If I were to go into this, I would go to teaching pro aspect. My dream job :D

I don't know what it's like in USA but here I am in school for my business degree and can get my CPGA Class A (Teaching Pro) on the side. I am first year university and the requirement to get to the top is to have a 3 year degree in school, pass the PAT and pass all the required courses. Perhaps they have that in the states so you can get the best of both worlds?

Good for you buddy. I love seeing young people who go after this. There's a ton of Universities that offer this, I know that NC State has a killer program, but I also know that Methodist, in Fayetville, NC has a really killer program. I've met a ton of kids doing their internships at courses back home from Methodist.

TC-
Also currently looking at College of the Desert in Palm Desert, CA
It's like a mile from where they play the Bob Hope Classic.

I just wanted to say this...

I have a good buddy that is taking wildlife Biology right now. There is A TON of biology/science in it(captain obvious I know). You have to take stuff not even about the wildlife part. From plant life, sea life, land life, breaking down each of those to a bunch of math classes, taking other classes on top of that, that you have to have to graduate, plus working after hours to help get you experience. EX: He went to 3-4 different things were they had to tag deer all the way till 4 in the morning, now that seems fun the first few times but he was tired of it by the 4th time. He is still doing it, because thats what he likes, but it is a ton of work. If you really love golf that much, I say go for it for sure. I want to go to a golf school really bad, or just in general work with something to do about golf. Building clubs, learning, teaching, the swing, etc.. Its a lot of work but its doing something you love and you cant beat that.

I have a good buddy that is taking wildlife Biology right now. There is A TON of biology/science in it(captain obvious I know). You have to take stuff not even about the wildlife part. From plant life, sea life, land life, breaking down each of those to a bunch of math classes, taking other classes on top of that, that you have to have to graduate, plus working after hours to help get you experience. EX: He went to 3-4 different things were they had to tag deer all the way till 4 in the morning, now that seems fun the first few times but he was tired of it by the 4th time. He is still doing it, because thats what he likes, but it is a ton of work. If you really love golf that much, I say go for it for sure. I want to go to a golf school really bad, or just in general work with something to do about golf. Building clubs, learning, teaching, the swing, etc.. Its a lot of work but its doing something you love and you cant beat that.

Why not do it then?

go with what you love. it will never seem like work that way. I read that somewhere and it has always held true for me.

Go for it bridges. Better to do it when you're young and have little responsibility thant to wait until you are married with kids and you turn conservative (yes, one day, if you are not already, you will be a conservative!) because you have too many responsibilites to take that kind of chance.

Why not do it then?

Go for it bridges. Better to do it when you're young and have little responsibility thant to wait until you are married with kids and you turn conservative (yes, one day, if you are not already, you will be a conservative!) because you have too many responsibilites to take that kind of chance.

Long story fellas...

I'm actually about to enter the PGM program as well. I've already graduated from college. Luckily I don't have to go back to school to get it. I'm taking the PAT in March and after that I'll try to get on as an apprentice somewhere. I wish I would have started several years ago. My advice to you is to go ahead and go for it. Don't wait until you get older. If that's what you want to do, then do it.

Just remember that this career is long hours and very little pay. Not to say that I don't love what I do, but I remember when I started that it was minimum wage or a little above
and unless you make time to practice and play after a 40 hour work week its hard to find the time.

Just remember that this career is long hours and very little pay. Not to say that I don't love what I do, but I remember when I started that it was minimum wage or a little above
and unless you make time to practice and play after a 40 hour work week its hard to find the time.

I am prepared for this at the start. But most head pros make (average) about $80,000. Directors of golf more. I am not doing it for the money, I do it for golf.
It's what I want to do and I can't wait. Sorry for digging this thread back up guys, but wanted to see if anyone that didn't read it before had info.

Thanks,
BulldogsGolf

I was signed up to play in the PAT on the 28th of this month and got an email yesterday saying it was canceled. I guess there wasn't enough people signed up to take it. Now I have to wait about another 2 months before another one will be offered close enough to drive there.

Good luck man. Thats my next step after Im done I'm thinking. Long way to go though.

Being a pro is not as glamourous of a job as it seems, but there definitely are some perks and some aspects of enjoyment that make it all worth it for most.

From the iPhone.

Thought I'd revive this one because as I move on in my schooling, it becomes more and more important to plan to start visiting colleges. We will probably visit 4 or so, hence the cut off line I made. I was told I should make a list of my top 5 I want to visit. I had 6....:D

1. Florida Gulf Coast
2. Mississippi State
3. Methodist University
4. Florida State
-------------------------------
5. Univ. of Central Oklahoma
6. Sam Houston State

Very excited to be visiting schools in the spring. Will update again when I can!!

Thought I'd revive this one because as I move on in my schooling, it becomes more and more important to plan to start visiting colleges. I was told I should make a list of my top 5 I want to visit. I had 6....:D

1. Florida Gulf Coast
2. Mississippi State
3. Methodist University
4. Florida State
-------------------------------
5. Univ. of Central Oklahoma
6. Sam Houston State

Very excited to be visiting schools in the spring. Will update again when I can!!

UCO is small but nice BDG. Plus, Edmond is a nice little city/OKC Suburb with some very nice but affordable courses.

Hey, uh, Bulldogs. Just an FYI. Mississippi State is not the greatest school in the world. I visited and didn't like it. Alot of my friends agreed with me. I would visit one of the ones below the cut before MSU.

Coastal Carolina in Myrtle has a good PGM program as well as turf management, It's a small school with a ton of great courses nearby.

Coastal Carolina in Myrtle has a good PGM program as well as turf management, It's a small school with a ton of great courses nearby.

Agreed 110%. A little someone you might have heard, I dont know if it rings a bell, went there. Ever heard of Dustin Johnson? Yeah he went there.

I'll be getting my degree in Sport Management and then after go to school down at Coastal for another degree in PGM/course management. I also want to be a teaching pro/general manager. In my opinion I think I'm a great teacher when it comes to golf and I know what to look for when I see a problem with a swing and I know how to explain how to fix it. But I just have to graduate first.

Stay up north is you want to make a living as a teaching pro

I'll be getting my degree in Sport Management and then after go to school down at Coastal for another degree in PGM/course management. I also want to be a teaching pro/general manager. In my opinion I think I'm a great teacher when it comes to golf and I know what to look for when I see a problem with a swing and I know how to explain how to fix it. But I just have to graduate first.

Stay up north is you want to make a living as a teaching pro

Oh I know haha I want to get my schooling and stuff down south but want to come right back to Delaware. But I love Floridas weather :bad:

Back