Happy Chinese New Year

Golf Chick

Golf Fashionista
Reaction score
Handicap
Decreasing
To my fellow THPers that celebrate, such as myself, Gong Hay Fat Choy!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happy year of the wabbit, GC!

Happy chinese new year or however I would say it!! Spank, you wascilly wabbit

Happy chinese new year or however I would say it!! Spank, you wascilly wabbit

You're going to Spank a wabbitt? That's pretty twisted dude :D

It's Wabbit Season! Good part about being Chinese American? Celebrating two new years/ birthdays a year!

Happy New Years!

Question: to those who celebrate it based on their heritage, do you not eat meat today? My mom enforces that, and I swear I have the only family in all of Calgary that doesn't eat meat on Chinese New Years.

Happy New Year everyone! @RatFink - LOL - we eat meat - is that a Buddhist tradition? I frantically cleaned the house yesterday - the bathrooms, vacuumed 2 days ago (but I know I'll need to do it again soon -with 2 kids and a shedding dog), the kitchen. We're ready for it this year! :)

Happy New Years!

Question: to those who celebrate it based on their heritage, do you not eat meat today? My mom enforces that, and I swear I have the only family in all of Calgary that doesn't eat meat on Chinese New Years.

Haha, I know a few families that do that.I actually thought it was something to do with their Buddhist religion. My parents are Buddhist but they also came to this country to study school in Texas. So every holiday, family get together, days that end in the letter Y, in our house involved a giant hunk of steak.

Happy New Years!

Haha, I know a few families that do that.I actually thought it was something to do with their Buddhist religion. My parents are Buddhist but they also came to this country to study school in Texas. So every holiday, family get together, days that end in the letter Y, in our house involved a giant hunk of steak.

Yeah it must be a Buddhist thing. Everyone of my friends that celebrate literally pig out, morning, noon, night. If you go to their place on any holiday it's like 24hr non-stop dim sum where the food just keeps rolling. Now I'm hungry. :D

Oh and future congrats on 1000 posts, Snap!

Doggonit! My mom is the chinese one in the family [making me only half], yet she imparts this kind of martial law on us with her boycotting of meat. She isn't buddhist, her parents were - so maybe she's just carrying on that tradition. We'll pig out in the next few days, but in the meantime it's a painfully meatless day for me.

All I can say is that without my two eggs for breakfast this morning, I'm sitting here at my desk at work even more out of it than normal, and I completely lack any bounce in my step. T-16 hours till I can have some sort of meat again.

...and to make matters worse, i just broke a lace on my dress shoes, so I just spent the last 15 minutes re-lacing my shoe with exactly 2" of extra lace. I hope that's not an omen for things to come this year.

Yeah it must be a Buddhist thing. Everyone of my friends that celebrate literally pig out, morning, noon, night. If you go to their place on any holiday it's like 24hr non-stop dim sum where the food just keeps rolling. Now I'm hungry. :D

Oh and future congrats on 1000 posts, Snap!

Thanks for pointing that out Spanks! I wouldn't have noticed.

Doggonit! My mom is the chinese one in the family [making me only half], yet she imparts this kind of martial law on us with her boycotting of meat. She isn't buddhist, her parents were - so maybe she's just carrying on that tradition. We'll pig out in the next few days, but in the meantime it's a painfully meatless day for me.

All I can say is that without my two eggs for breakfast this morning, I'm sitting here at my desk at work even more out of it than normal, and I completely lack any bounce in my step. T-16 hours till I can have some sort of meat again.

...and to make matters worse, i just broke a lace on my dress shoes, so I just spent the last 15 minutes re-lacing my shoe with exactly 2" of extra lace. I hope that's not an omen for things to come this year.

Don't worry dude it's only 24hrs. I'm catholic and I try to abide by the "no red meat" Lent law. The key word is "try".

Chinese moms and Martial law go hand in hand......

Don't worry dude it's only 24hrs. I'm catholic and I try to abide by the "no red meat" Lent law. The key word is "try".

So am I, but don't do that. Last year on Good Friday my friends were having a meat fondue and I showed up about halfway through [because of mass] and sat in the corner rocking back and forth because I couldn't partake in their consumption of many fowl, fish, and beast. At exactly midnight, I fired the stove and cooked myself up any left over meat I could find. It was delicious.

So am I, but don't do that. Last year on Good Friday my friends were having a meat fondue and I showed up about halfway through [because of mass] and sat in the corner rocking back and forth because I couldn't partake in their consumption of many fowl, fish, and beast. At exactly midnight, I fired the stove and cooked myself up any left over meat I could find. It was delicious.

Oh man - you're a good Catholic.

Oh man - you're a good Catholic.

It's once a year, I can almost survive doing it... it was a traumatic experience though.

Back to topic though:

What traditional dishes do you guys eat for Chinese New Years?

images

and here is some Laisei for all of you single folk out there!
envelopes.gif

Sorry no money in it :D Hope everyone enjoys their Sang Ling

Man those Red envelopes incite this pavlovian angry response from me. My dad used to fill up those envelopes with different amonts of money. One envelop always had $50 bucks while most had $10. He would let all my friends pick an envelope, but when it got to me he would always pull one out of his pocket and hand it to me. One year that envelope had candy in it. Terrible bitter sweet candy. :D
\

Man those Red envelopes incite this pavlovian angry response from me. My dad used to fill up those envelopes with different amonts of money. One envelop always had $50 bucks while most had $10. He would let all my friends pick an envelope, but when it got to me he would always pull one out of his pocket and hand it to me. One year that envelope had candy in it. Terrible bitter sweet candy. :D
\

You would've hated coming to my old bank branch then. The branch I used to run had a high Chinese (and Asian) demographic and we were one of the few branches that had the red and gold envelopes for CNY. Lest to say that every CNY I worked we always had a line out the door for withdrawals since the other banks didn't have an envelope like that.

\

Once you get older, those lai see's go away :crying:

It's once a year, I can almost survive doing it... it was a traumatic experience though.

Back to topic though:

What traditional dishes do you guys eat for Chinese New Years?

For new year's eve last night, we had roasted chicken. Tonight I believe we're having roasted pork :hungry:

I'm the sign of the monkey, but that's totally opposite of my characteristics. I'm a monkey and a lion :D

For new year's eve last night, we had roasted chicken. Tonight I believe we're having roasted pork :hungry:

I'm the sign of the monkey, but that's totally opposite of my characteristics. I'm a monkey and a lion :D

You must be smart! All the monkeys I know are very clever.

It's my year - the year of the rabbit. I'm hoping for big things... :)

As for traditional food, the husband is ABC, I'm Korean American. For Chinese New Year, his mom always makes nien gao (sp?) - the sweet kind, with red bean. Koreans eat the rice ovalets in soup (dduk-gook), and tonight? We're heating huo-guo (hot pot) (I'm feeling lazy and we're having guests) with a ton of red meat from the Japanese super market (YUM!).

Back