Whamrick

Reaction score
Handicap
Out of curiosity over a cup of coffee on a Sunday morning, I did a search on the average golf score and the average handicap. Although I found several answers, they all seemed to point to somewhere around the following:

• The average score on an 18-hole regulation golf course was 97 in 2004. Average score was 95 for men and 106 for women.
• The percentage of adult golfers by score category are: Score under 80 (8% of golfers); 80-89 (20%); 90-99 (31%); 100-119 (30%); and 120 and above (11%).
• Twenty-one percent of all golfers maintain a handicap. The average handicap (among those who maintain one) is 15 for men, 23 for women, and 16 overall.

Also, this is an interesting chart from USGA:
http://www.usga.org/handicapping/articles_resources/Men-s-USGA-Handicap-Indexes/

What do you think the average handicap of THP members would be?

Interesting question. It would be hard to know what the avg THP hcp is. I know what I have listed isn't my real hcp. If I were to guess, i'd say the THP avg is 21.

serious golfers use tapatalk so we can THP on the fly!

If OOB can be counted on for something realistically close, I'm a 21+/-. My goal is to be down to 15 by the end of the season.

im part of a site called strokes when i finish a round i input my card and it works my handicap out which after yesterday is 25.7.

I use a site called Fairway Files. I like it, it's simple and it keeps all the statistics that I need. I logged well over 30 rounds in it last year and my hcp is 4.6 as of the end of the year. I've yet to log a round yet in 2011. How pathetic is that?

I use a site called Fairway Files. I like it, it's simple and it keeps all the statistics that I need. I logged well over 30 rounds in it last year and my hcp is 4.6 as of the end of the year. I've yet to log a round yet in 2011. How pathetic is that?

lol i think ive logged 4 for 2011 :D

I'll take a look at it, but how is it different from OOB? Better calculations? Better stats? Ease of use?

its pathetic how you double your cap so you dont look like a serious 'internet golfer'... haha

lol i think ive logged 4 for 2011 :D

that's awesome! It's killing me man. I actually have played once this year but it was with my old man and it was freazing and windy and i don't even think we kept score. Just out hitting balls and shooting the breeze. Once it warms up and dries up I'll get in a round or two a week.

I'll take a look at it, but how is it different from OOB? Better calculations? Better stats? Ease of use?

I've never used OOB so I'm not sure. I just started using it at the start of last season and got accustomed to it. I do like the stats that is provided though.

its pathetic how you double your cap so you dont look like a serious 'internet golfer'... haha

haha, yeah, that was a conscious decision. I figured, I play GI irons, I openly admit that I could care less about working the ball, and I'm a lefty. I figured no one would believe me.

The goal in 2012 is to get to a 2 hcp or lower. I've been working a ton on the short game (mostly putting). I hit an average of 10.7 gir's last year and only averaged 1.1 birdies per round. That's not cutting it young Thainer.

my aim for the yr is to get down to a 18 handicap if i dont do it ill have fun trying

Less than 2? Those are scary numbers mountain man. Scary because I believe them.
haha, yeah, that was a conscious decision. I figured, I play GI irons, I openly admit that I could care less about working the ball, and I'm a lefty. I figured no one would believe me.

The goal in 2012 is to get to a 2 hcp or lower. I've been working a ton on the short game (mostly putting). I hit an average of 10.7 gir's last year and only averaged 1.1 birdies per round. That's not cutting it young Thainer.

I need to learn to putt.

The golf club I belong to keeps your official handicap for you, and you simply submit your scorecard at the end of every round, or online if you played at a different club. Mine is 13.4 but it has been frozen for 3 months because even though we are still golfing here, winter scores do not count towards you handicap. My goal is to be a single digit handicapper by the end of 2011, and I would say that the average golfer is about a 20 if I had to put a number on it.

Less than 2? Those are scary numbers mountain man. Scary because I believe them.

I need to learn to putt.

Here's a quote I read yesterday from Dr. Rotella in the book The 15th Club: "If you are not knocking them inside ten feet from 100 yards out in the fairway or inside 3 feet from around the green, the problem isn't the putting, it's the wedge play."

Thanks Kbo, for telling me that not only am I a TERRIBLE putter, that I suck at wedge play too! haha
Here's a quote I read yesterday from Dr. Rotella in the book The 15th Club: "If you are not knocking them inside ten feet from 100 yards out in the fairway or inside 3 feet from around the green, the problem isn't the putting, it's the wedge play."

I use the facebook application "golf game" for my hcap. Its easy and fun and you can see your buddies' scores and stuff.

I'm tired of this Dr Rotella trash talking my game. Maybe my problem is both ok doc? :D

Here's an interesting thought from my Golftec instructor... With all the modern equipment and all the supposed improvements to distance, balls, accuracy, putter alignment, etc., etc., etc.; the average U.S. handicap has not changed in 30 years.

It's all good guys, I obviously throw mine right next to the flag with a 14 handicap! Haha!

Thanks Kbo, for telling me that not only am I a TERRIBLE putter, that I suck at wedge play too! haha

I use the facebook application "golf game" for my hcap. Its easy and fun and you can see your buddies' scores and stuff.

I'm tired of this Dr Rotella trash talking my game. Maybe my problem is both ok doc? :D

Whatever numbers you find, take it with a grain of salt. I would say the amount of golfers that have reported scores/handicaps is a small percentage of golfers. If I know 20 golfers, maybe 3 or 4 of them keep an official handicap. Some of them are good golfers, some are bad golfers, so maybe it all averages out in the end, but no one will ever have the full story.

Interesting question. It would be hard to know what the avg THP hcp is. I know what I have listed isn't my real hcp. If I were to guess, i'd say the THP avg is 21.

serious golfers use tapatalk so we can THP on the fly!

So why not change the 9 to a 5 and put your real handicap there. What is the point of putting a ficticious number there? Or is it the whole internet golfer thing? 300+yd drives? etc etc

I use Scorecard on my Droid X. It uses USGA to figure th handicap. You have to enter the distance and course handicap for each hole along with the slope.

Out of curiosity over a cup of coffee on a Sunday morning, I did a search on the average golf score and the average handicap. Although I found several answers, they all seemed to point to somewhere around the following:

• The average score on an 18-hole regulation golf course was 97 in 2004. Average score was 95 for men and 106 for women.
• The percentage of adult golfers by score category are: Score under 80 (8% of golfers); 80-89 (20%); 90-99 (31%); 100-119 (30%); and 120 and above (11%).
• Twenty-one percent of all golfers maintain a handicap. The average handicap (among those who maintain one) is 15 for men, 23 for women, and 16 overall.

I think the scores are actually quite a bit higher than reported. How did they get these scores? Just by looking at scorecards? I'll go with that stat if they change the report to "average reported scorecard", but how many of those were scored incorrectly (illegal drops, not counting penalty shots correctly, gimme putts etc.). Add in all those and I'd guess all those numbers would go up, say 5 strokes maybe? Possibly more? I've played with people who reported a score 4 or 5 less strokes on a single hole, let alone a round!

I was getting down to low 90's consistently last year and even hit a few rounds in the 80's which I feeling good about. Played my first real round last week at an unfamilar course and shot 98. Cant really complain about that because of the long layoff. Really looking forward to getting the scores down this year with more in the 80's. My guess right now is that my h/c is around 22 at least that is what I am claiming. I need to get signed up so I can track it again. Was using USGA for my h/s but will check out some of the other avenues mentioned here. Hope to grab a round today on home course and get a better guage. The winter has just sucked this year. I have not played any consistent golf since early December.

I would say the avg h/c on THP is low to mid 20's. I say that so I can at least consider myself average. hehe

I would venture a guess of the THP handicap being around 17-18. There are quite a few guys in the 0-6 range it seems on this site.

Back