Perfect Ball Flight - Until Apex

JF

Reaction score
I'm noticing with my 3 wood and hybrids that my ball flight is exactly where I want it - perfect launch, height, straight, everything, until it hits the apex, then the ball just falls right now, at an 80-85 or so degree angle. I had a friend stand towards the landing area way off to the side to see my whole ball flight to confirm this. I wouldn't call it ballooning because it's a consistent launch that is the right angle. Would this be an equipment issue or a swing flaw? Why wouldn't it be happening with driver? (not a big issue with irons anyway).

When I see that, it is typically a combination of a backspin that is a little too high with slightly tilted spin axis. The high spin is what is keeping the flight relatively straight for a period of time, but as the ball loses velocity, it takes on more of the side spin characteristics. Hence the fall to the right.

To answer the "equipment vs. technique" question- I don't know. I have an explanation for each, but without seeing your swing, your equipment (including ball) and corresponding spin rates, it's nearly impossible for me to diagnose here.

Hope that helps,

Trevor Broesamle, PGA
GolfTEC Santa Barbara, CA

When I see that, it is typically a combination of a backspin that is a little too high with slightly tilted spin axis. The high spin is what is keeping the flight relatively straight for a period of time, but as the ball loses velocity, it takes on more of the side spin characteristics. Hence the fall to the right.

To answer the "equipment vs. technique" question- I don't know. I have an explanation for each, but without seeing your swing, your equipment (including ball) and corresponding spin rates, it's nearly impossible for me to diagnose here.

Hope that helps,

Trevor Broesamle, PGA

Sorry for posting in here but I have to say the bolded makes perfect sense, nobody has ever explained it that way before.

Hope that helps,

Trevor Broesamle, PGA

Thanks for the response. I mistyped that - it doesn't fall to the right, I meant to say it falls right down, it goes completely straight.

Equipment: RBZ Tour Spoon 13* wood w/ stock Ozik X-Con 7
Idea Super hybrid w/ stock Program H7.1
Pro a12 w/ Ozik Altus all stiff flex which is the correct flex for me
I was observing this at the range with range balls which are usually pretty low spin. on the course I use really any tour ball (mostly prov1s) and see very similar ball flight to the range balls, except more distance.

Perhaps you should get the man some video so he can properly diagnose you icemann. That would help him immensely I would assume.

Back